Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Good idea. Head it up with the tag “no negativity on this thread please” and here’s one poster who’ll respect it.......and possibly not post on it all :shrug:
There is a precedent, the Coronovirus Good News thread. Trouble is, that rules out constructive criticism. I will always support my National side, every time they play. I have reservations over our manager. I don't think, with 5 defenders in a starting line up, you need 2 defensive central midfielders. I think our strength is in the attacking midfield and forward areas, so as a manager, it would make sense to squeeze as many of these in the side as possible. Maybe a bit pedantic, just my thoughts, will be cheering the lads on regardless

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not sure why I’d call GS a **** either - got us to the semis of the WC ffs...?!

Covid etc are not Southgate's fault, you are right. However, he was blessed by probably the easiest set of fixtures to get to the semi. No surprise that once against someone decent, we crumbled. Just about anyone could have got us to the semis, I would have fancied even Jimmy Melia to go one better.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
White will be on standby apparently so still has a reasonable chance of a call up given how many crocked players Waistcoat man has picked in the final squad. His versatility and current form should have been enough anyway imo. Shine in the friendlies and he still has a real chance. Fingers crossed for the lad.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He wants their leadership skills and influence in the changing room even if they are on crutches. I feel sorry for Lallana & Welbeck missing out now!

Ah, of course. And maybe for bonding purposes Maguire could also lead the lads on a pub crawl where everyone gets shitfaced and beats up a few local coppers.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agree with all of this.

Coady isn’t as good as Dunk either.

Still hope our other (BHA) players do well..... and Southgate goes as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Randomly stumbled across some old post yesterday where you wished Dunk had been sold to Fulham... how times change!

Anyway I agree with Dunk being better (actually with some margin) than Coady. People talk a lot about Mings but Coady definitely had a very questionable season. Feels like he only gets selected because he is used to play in a three man backline, but same could be said for White, Dunk, Webster and BDB who I all think have been better this season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Are you actually serious? You’re a blaming Southgate for not having the players who played on Saturday just gone at his disposal for a friendly? You are aware none of the players who played are featuring in tomorrow’s friendly - including Chelsea’s Germans and City’s etc? You are aware there’s things called sports scientists who make these decisions to not risk injury? You are aware covid has completely disrupted the season as it started late and these warm up games are crammed in? Not sure why I’d call GS a **** either - got us to the semis of the WC ffs...?!

Sorry, scrap the sports scientists and player conditioning coaches at a variety of top countries teams, ‘Piltdown Man’ knows best.

Heard it all now Jesus Christ :facepalm:

Of course I’m serious, the guy is an idiot, a failed club manager who goes back totally on his word. As always England will get knocked out by the first decent team they play.

If the sports scientists have such an influence perhaps they should be telling the **** not to pick injured players in the squad when there’s just as good players not even picked for the first squad.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Randomly stumbled across some old post yesterday where you wished Dunk had been sold to Fulham... how times change!

Anyway I agree with Dunk being better (actually with some margin) than Coady. People talk a lot about Mings but Coady definitely had a very questionable season. Feels like he only gets selected because he is used to play in a three man backline, but same could be said for White, Dunk, Webster and BDB who I all think have been better this season.

There were plenty on here who wanted Dunk sold as he was a liability due to a couple of needless red cards if I remember correctly. Plenty of offers to drive him to Fulham too :lolol:

Hoping to see a similar turnaround for Neal Maupay :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Of course I’m serious, the guy is an idiot, a failed club manager who goes back totally on his word. As always England will get knocked out by the first decent team they play.

If the sports scientists have such an influence perhaps they should be telling the **** not to pick injured players in the squad when there’s just as good players not even picked for the first squad.

Picking injured players and ones just coming back from injury could turn into his nemesis if they can’t play a full tournament.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You don't randomly stumble on posts. You spend half your life seeking them out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Southgate is a disgrace, an embarrassment. Only employed because he has no backbone. Pathetic
Disgrace is massively overused in football terms, rather like the word "legend". He's really not "a disgrace" for being a fairly gutless, bang average football coach is he? He hasn't killed or raped anyone as far as I know, or taken a bung or anything like that. He just happens to be the type of yes man the FA wanted, and his crap "big club" selections reflect that. It's annoying, but that's who he is.

We won't win, we won't even come close to winning. But that's the fault of the FA more than the very ordinary, non contentious coach making the decisions in my view.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Disgrace is massively overused in football terms, rather like the word "legend". He's really not "a disgrace" for being a fairly gutless, bang average football coach is he? He hasn't killed or raped anyone as far as I know, or taken a bung or anything like that. He just happens to be the type of yes man the FA wanted, and his crap "big club" selections reflect that. It's annoying, but that's who he is.

We won't win, we won't even come close to winning. But that's the fault of the FA more than the very ordinary, non contentious coach making the decisions in my view.

Spot on. See overuse/misuse of words like ‘disgrace’ (and appalling, shameful etc etc) on here all the time, particularly match threads and player rating threads. Almost always incorrect and unnecessary.....it’s like things like ‘ordinary’, ‘fair’ and ‘a bit below par’ are banned :shrug::shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Spot on. See overuse/misuse of words like ‘disgrace’ (and appalling, shameful etc etc) on here all the time, particularly match threads and player rating threads. Almost always incorrect and unnecessary.....it’s like things like ‘ordinary’, ‘fair’ and ‘a bit below par’ are banned :shrug::shrug:

Whilst you're correct, football is hyperbolic, particularly in the ground, How many times have you heard "you're a disgrace Ref!" (he's just missed a marginal hand ball that you saw perfectly from the north end of Row U of the West Upper), "get him ****ing off" (midfielder has missed difficult chance off balance whilst under pressure from the best defender in the league) or "we're gonna win the league / going up, going up" (1-0 up at half time to Milton Keynes Dongs). When a player went down at the Goldstone the North Stand used to do a decent rendition of the Funeral March.

I have to say that's what attracted me to football in the first place. I don't go to games to remark quietly to my friend "we look a bit below par today but that was a lovely pass under pressure".

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well wouldn't want to disappoint the owners of Manure or Liverpool now would we?!

TBH I think they're already disappointed given they'll be playing in the Premier League again this coming season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So, England play 3 at the back sometimes but have only picked 3 fit players who naturally play in that position - 2 of which are bang average at best - as well as 4 right backs.

Sterling has been awful for months and gets in. People who whined about TAA missing out last time clearly haven't watched him much this season. He has been as poor this year as he was good last.

Even with Brighton bias, that squad is mental. Anyone who thinks England will win with that lot needs their head examined. We will need to score 4 goals a game to win them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Where would a 35+ games Lamptey & March have fitted in to this England squad? 5 right backs? Genuine left sided LB/wing back cover?

With the blue and white striped specs off you have to admit that Solly is nowhere near Chilwell who has been outstanding for Chelsea, or this season's Luke Shaw, rejuvenated under Ole.

Lamptey has not only been unlucky with injuries but also his contemporaries. James and Trippier are both better at right back / right wing back in their overall game and TAA offers a different but very real attacking threat. I really don't think Walker has had a good season at all so there was an opportunity there, but Mr Safety First has decided he needs a combination right back / RCB which Tariq definitely is not.

However, with his pace, if he gets back to full fitness, then he should be pushing several of the others as they age. Whether he'll ever get better than James we don't know, but he would never find out sitting in a queue behind him at Chelsea, which is why he joined us.

If we have a good season next season and the players stay fit I can see White and Lamptey knocking at the door of the full squad. March? Nah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here