Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
But they have re-invested. Giroud, Cazorla and Podolski which cost about 35m in total and maybe another play or two before the window shuts

True, but relying on 3 players who have never played in the Premier League before is a big ask, especially Giroud who has had one good season (IMO he'll be another Chamack (sp?)

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Arsenal owners are losing the plot. Selling all your best players and not re investing is crazy. I know they wanted to make sure the Emirates was all paid for as quickly as possible but they make huge amounts of money and don't give enough to Wenger to let him compete with the top clubs.

I read the other day that while Arsenal have fantastic income from the stadium, they are shackled by old sponsorship deals that were rushed through to generate capital for the stadium.

I think this is why there's arumour about Adidas buying out the Nike contrcat because at present it's not particulalry valuable for a team of their size. The same with Emirates.

The reality might be that the club simply don't have the funds, and are too well run to take big risks on debt.

To bring this back to Albion, I think that 'legacy' sponsorship deals will be something that Barber will having to deal with now. Errea, Donatello etc are Knight era when we took what we could.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
If I had to support an EPL club, I think the one I'd be most PROUD of calling my team would be Arsenal. To get in the UCL season after season (and not only that, get to the knockout stages for a huge number of years in a row) is a phenomenal achievement when their net spend is comparable to teams down in the bottom half of the league. Ok, they might not actually win anything, but they compete for everything and play in a fantastic style that must be a joy to turn up and watch every week. Wenger is an absolute MAGICIAN for what he does there and if they lose him they could regret it for the next ten years.

ah but people have seen through Wenger's "magic" (ie scour europe for french players that he knows about since they were kids who are failng to meet their potential (Henry , Viera Wiltoord, van Persie etc) , try and them as cheaply as possible because when their cliubs want shot of the liabilitiy that they have become, get them to play to the potential he knew that they had).

Now all the big clubs do this. It is very rare for a young player that is creating a name for themselves not to come under the radar of ALL the big European clubs now. Look where manU are buying players from - the far East, africa, S.America - simply because the market for European players has become so well organised that the chances of getting a talent on the cheap are virtually impossible.

And so far as I know, all our deals are commercially sensible ones. now.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I agree Wenger's doing a great job with what he has. But if you were an Arsenal fan wouldn't you get bored of settling for top 4, CL qualification year after year?

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Arsenal haven't won a Trophy in 8 years. This is why RVP, Fabregas, Song and now looks like Walcott will be off. Till some of the Directors pulls their finger out and decides to give over their share to Usmanov or the other American. Because they will always be behind City, Manure and Chelsea for many years to come. Till this finally happens!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Arsenal seem to have lost the plot since David Dein left, he was pivotal to many of their aspirations and had a close relationship with Wenger. They should be financially viable too having just about finished the years of austerity to pay for the Emirates. They have really asked an awful lot of their fans over the last 3-4 years with very expensive ST packages and many that I know of or hear on phone-ins are really hacked off because they now have the stadium but seem to have lost their footballing ambition. Can't see them winning a major trophy any time soon.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Arsenal haven't won a Trophy in 8 years. This is why RVP, Fabregas, Song and now looks like Walcott will be off. Till some of the Directors pulls their finger out and decides to give over their share to Usmanov or the other American. Because they will always be behind City, Manure and Chelsea for many years to come. Till this finally happens!

Very much this !

Too much of the family silver has been pawned off now, I don't think that Arsenal can cope without RVP and Song and now with Walcott stampeding for the doors the Arsenal dream is over.

It's a real pity because only a few seasons ago they were almost everyone's second club because of the sublime football they played. There is no longer the big four anymore, its the big three, Arsenal and Liverpool are going to scratching for crumbs from now on..... the end.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

f*** ethics then eh and sell to the corrupt Usbekistani? Damn the club for having a sense of ethics and fiscal responsibility. Damn them.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You just 'remove' a players stats and not believe they would have replaced it somehow. Maybe not to RVP's effect, but SOMEONE would have still scored!

Arsenal were not worse than WEST BROM without RVP. Thats bonkers.

I think they're extremely average without RvP, probably about the same as West Brom, yes.

BrightonPara

Apr 6, 2012
I've said for 3/4 years that arsenal needed a fresh approach. The best thing Wenger has done was manage to sign Thierry Henry for 3 months. Apart from that it has been dull predictable football! Every time they appoint a captain they are forced to sell him the following season!
Still to be sold
Arshavin
Denilson
Bendtner
Park
Squallchi
Chamakh

Players who are not of a top 5 quality
Jenkinson - never was
Djouroru
Diaby
Roskiy
Walcott

And two English players who had good Promise about them were sold this week- Kyle Bartley & Henri Lansbury

What goes on at that club the mind boggles

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think they're extremely average without RvP, probably about the same as West Brom, yes.

I've taken West Broms starting line up from Saturday. I just can't see how they could possibly be regarded as the same ability.

01 Foster arguably better than Sczensy
02 Reid not better than Sagna
03 Olsson not better than Koscielny
06 Ridgewell not better than Vermaelan
23 McAuley not better than Gibbs
05 Yacob not better than Arteta
07 Morrison not better than Cazorla
17 Dorrans not better than Oxlade Chamberlain
21 Mulumbu not better than Rosicky
09 Long Not better than Podolski
32 Fortune not better than Giroud

No. West brom aren't the same as Arsenal.

Dec 29, 2011
I've taken West Broms starting line up from Saturday. I just can't see how they could possibly be regarded as the same ability.

01 Foster arguably better than Sczensy
02 Reid not better than Sagna
03 Olsson not better than Koscielny
06 Ridgewell not better than Vermaelan
23 McAuley not better than Gibbs
05 Yacob not better than Arteta
07 Morrison not better than Cazorla
17 Dorrans not better than Oxlade Chamberlain
21 Mulumbu not better than Rosicky
09 Long Not better than Podolski
32 Fortune not better than Giroud

No. West brom aren't the same as Arsenal.

Owned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here