Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
No complaints. A fair scoreline and it was always likely to happen as we have a tired injury hit squad whereas they rested most first teamers in the week. Arsenal also played us last year when we were missing Caicedo and Mac Allister so they have a bit of luck but they are more pragmatic these days so have a chance of winning the league this year.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Beaten by a better side. Physically they were a much more athletic and polished team. All players fully developed and in there prime. 8 Brighton players in the pitch today 23 of younger.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
The summer’s failure to sign decent fullbacks continues to haunt us. Not hindsight, so many folk highlighted that pre-Sept 1st.
That’s a bit harsh. We’re missing 3 of our fullbacks in Pervis. Lamptey and now Veltman. Hinshlewood has been excellent of late so if he’d been showing those signs pre season, no reason to go and spend. March could have covered too as could Gross, Milner and Igor. We surely didn’t predict this many injuries all at the same time. But will be sensible to try and get cover in January. We shouldn’t be relying on Milner. especially against top class wingers like Doku and Saka.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Honestly I don’t know what some posters here expected. Arsenal are a very good side and outplayed our team after our two training sessions leading into this game. They put their heart and soul into Thursday, and then we play a much better side away and get outplayed (as have practically every team who have played them).

Get a f***ing grip.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Too good for us. I counted just one mistake, one misplaced pass from them in the first 90, before a couple more in injury time. We defended stoutly and got some luck / poor finishing to stay in the game, but when a team as good as theirs is completely on their game like they were today its very very hard

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Verbruggan hasnt been great today, poor positioning/flapped at first, second straight through him and shouldve done better, thats not to blame him for Arsenals superiority on the day, but dont feel massively confident in either of our competing number ones tbh, theyre both OK but not much more than that, or at least not yet.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Neither of our keepers are pulling up trees. Bart has huge potential and made a couple of really strong saves but they both seem very porous and liable to make mistakes.
Gross is our best number 10. He’s a 15 goal a season player there.
Lallana and Milner offer us nothing on the pitch now.
Great experience again for Hinsh.
Time to get over that one and look forward to Palace.
Yeah never seem to have worldy performances like some against us, just routine saves.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Loooking stronger and more dangerous when he put back in the players he took out of the starting line up leaves me wondering how the game would have gone without all those changes.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Bizarre comment, I praised him on Thursday night but that thread went laughable very quickly. If we can praise them, it is also ok to criticise our players when it’s deserved. And our midfield was completely over run today.

And my personal opinion, which I’m perfectly entitled to hold is that Gilmour is over rated on here.

It’s not bizarre at all, I noticed how often you post negative comments about him in threads about other stuff that’s all, it’s an odd thing to do, even if you do think he is overrated. I don’t see you doing the same with Gross who is also a part of the same overrun midfield.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Arsenal were much better than us. Could have nicked a draw with gross at the end but that’s life.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Verbruggan hasnt been great today, poor positioning/flapped at first, second straight through him and shouldve done better, thats not to blame him for Arsenals superiority on the day, but dont feel massively confident in either of our competing number ones tbh, theyre both OK but not much more than that, or at least not yet.

We need to be patient with Verbruggen. He's 21, so potentially 10-15 years away from being at the peak of his abilities.

He's shown that he IS good enough. He's shown he's a decent shot stopper and made some quality saves today. He's also shown that he can play with the ball at his feet, which is what we want.

Of course there ways he needs to improve, I can count several occasions today where he could have done better.

But he will improve, in all of those areas. It's what BHAFC is about. He's a top young talent and will improve all of the time,

Patience.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That’s a bit harsh. We’re missing 3 of our fullbacks in Pervis. Lamptey and now Veltman. Hinshlewood has been excellent of late so if he’d been showing those signs pre season, no reason to go and spend. March could have covered too as could Gross, Milner and Igor. We surely didn’t predict this many injuries all at the same time. But will be sensible to try and get cover in January. We shouldn’t be relying on Milner. especially against top class wingers like Doku and Saka.

Estupinan and Velts are our only quality FB’s.

Lamptey’s brief prime was years ago, always injured.

Milner at his age shouldn’t be up against top internationals on his own.

Igor’s a great defender and player, but no PL left back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here