Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal record profits

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
£49.5million profit - sure the Arsenal fans would prefer to have a centre back and midfielder for that money instead of a profit.

At centre-back, there have Koscielny, Djourou, Vermaelen, Mertesacker and (the albeit poor) Squillaci. In midfield, nobody would be querying anything if Wilshere hadn't missed the entire season.

Wenger's policy is why spend omney on replacements that are only going to be temporary at best. Verlmaelen and Koscielny are top class and considerably more mobile than Dawson and King, Terry and Luiz, and Ferdinand and Vidic. Spurs have Ryan Nelson as a back-up, Chelsea have the out-of-form Cahill and United have the laughably poor Evans. Defensively, this has been the worst Premier League in years because out of the above: King, Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic and Vermaelen are relentlessly injured.

Only City really have strength in depth because they blow everybody, including Arsenal, out of the water financially.

Chelsea, City and United all are following the Leeds success model of spending beyond their means. United are safe because of their massive pulling power internationally (if not actually in Manchester) which balances out their P&L bottom line, Chelsea are looking strangely shakey and City aren't playing by the new rules.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Arsenal are just treading water at the moment, as a club, just paying off the ground. And don't forget, they've paid 5 times for the Emirates what we paid for Falmer (and its only 2.5 times bigger

I cannot believe, in the light how of GOOD his ability to spot talent was - Viera, henry, Petit, bergkamp etc, how poor the player srecently brought in by wenger have been.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Arsenal’s way of running the club in a financially sound way might mean they struggle to compete with the likes of Man City, United and Chelsea but if and when the shit hits the proverbial fan they will be in a much more favourable position compared to their rivals.

Arsenal fans I know are constantly bemoaning Wenger for not making the BIG money signings some of his league rivals do but his prudent spending (in comparison) means Arsenal’s financial future is much more secure than almost all of his rivals.

In an era where vast sums of money are thrown at football clubs, with little consideration of the long term risks I can’t help but admire the Arsenal model.

I agree with this 100% - excellent post

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Some £41.6m of the club's profits came from player trading, including the sale of Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas

So that's Arsenal now - a selling club!

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
A model football club???? in many ways Yes, but on sustaining a credible challenge to the PL title, not really very credible at the moment is it?

The cost of building the stadium, forcasted at £400 million had risen by a £100 million during that period. So lets say that at a very rough estimate it cost Arsenal FIVE times the amount that it cost us to secure and build falmer and the capacity is only 2.5 times more

The effective interest rate on these bonds is 5.14% and 5.97% respectively and are due to be paid back over a 25-year period; the move to bonds has reduced the club's annual debt service cost to approximately £20 million a year

That's £20m a year JUST to SERVICE the debt. Not paying any of it off.

And what happens if no Champions League next season ?? (its possible if Spurs carry on like this)

Their stadium is in Central London though, not in the middle of a field - so it's quite understandable how much the Stadium cost. There Chief Executive said they have 100m of funds to fall back on if they don't make Champs League so it won't be as big a disaster as for teams like Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester who have spent f*** loads. Read a stat the other day that Wenger has spent £20m in his time there. Ansolutely crazy. They will never have financial trouble aspecially with billionaire shareholders. Usmanov is richer than Abramovic

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Profits are no surprise, was it not stated else where that Arsenal make 3millionish pounds for each match day?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Arsene Wenger is still the highest paid manager in the Premier League (on 6 million a year) but Arsenal have kept faith with him and all the real fans still believe he is the best man for the job. His hands have been tied with the transfer budget and yet he's never moaned about it or how much Manchester City, United, Chelsea and to a lesser degree for a club of their size, Tottenham have spent beyond their means. He's too intelligent to criticise the board and damage his relationship with them.

What a relief to get rid of Andrey Arshavin, albeit only on loan. Money grabbing lazy bastard on obscene wages with a serious attitude problem that had rubbed off on the other players team spirit. Yesterday's tremendous result felt like a new beginning. Coincidence? We'll see.....

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
His hands have been tied with the transfer budget and yet he's never moaned about it or how much Manchester City, United, Chelsea and to a lesser degree for a club of their size, Tottenham have spent beyond their means.

Wenger may never have moaned about having his hands tied (in fact he has maintained for a long while that he has money to spend if he wanted to), but he has been carping on for years about the 'financial doping' at the big spending clubs, so I'm not sure where you get that idea...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
In contrast Arsène Wenger is in a position of relative luxury, since the terms of his club's loans demand he spends the bulk of the money he raises in transfers. All transfer revenues are held in a special account created during negotiations with lenders over the refinancing of the club's £260m stadium loan and a minimum of 70% of this must either be retained or spent on transfers and contract renewals. Although the account's millions are at Wenger's disposal, the banks do hold a charge over it as security on the stadium.

The Arsenal Supporters Trust, whose analysts uncovered the existence of the account, estimates that Wenger's judicious transfer-market operations have generated huge sums. "The club itself confirms that 'all proceeds from player sale transactions are made available to manager'," it says.

And so Wenger, unusually, commands more cash during this transfer window than almost any other manager

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
What a relief to get rid of Andrey Arshavin, albeit only on loan. Money grabbing lazy bastard on obscene wages with a serious attitude problem that had rubbed off on the other players team spirit. Yesterday's tremendous result felt like a new beginning. Coincidence? We'll see.....

but bought by Wenger. Which rather makes my point about whetherhe can still spot talent that can flourish . Looked a good deal on paper. Looked a terrible deal on the pitch

I wonder what the Premier League table would look like if teams were only allowed to spend within their means. It would have a very different shape no doubt.

Man Utd are million and millions in debt, they could pay it off, but spend money on players instead like Young, Jones, De Gea.

Chelsea have curbed their spending of late to an extent, an subsequently not performing in the league.

Man City spent loads, no one knows their debts, but they are at the top of the league having spent loads on some brilliant players and paying thme cast amounts.

Not sure on Spurs, they spend a fair bit, but not mega money, but the two teams at the top of the league are the two teams that have spent the most money

Surely the intention with United, is for the chairtwats to keep syphoning the profits out of their cash cow, and keep it deep above the udders in debt.
Is that a good thing? Sir Fergie doesn't object, he sticks it out regardless - though he himself wanted to own the club before he fell out with the previous owners about a horse.

Arsenal make a big profit.... hmm, not sure if it would swell my ticket-paying pride if I were a Gooner. I think I prefer the Man City model and make money no object.
Chelsea have failed in that department of course, but that's that chairtwat's fault for dabbling and sacking all the time. Strangely he appears to be standing by his shortfalling crew and their manager this time..... but how long for now?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Wenger may never have moaned about having his hands tied (in fact he has maintained for a long while that he has money to spend if he wanted to), but he has been carping on for years about the 'financial doping' at the big spending clubs, so I'm not sure where you get that idea...

He's had one or two snide digs at Manchester City, especially after the Carling Cup quarter-final defeat to them with their 'reserves' but nothing like saying "We would have won countless trophies these last seven years if we'd had the financial power of them" which he must be tempted to say after every frustrating season.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
but bought by Wenger. Which rather makes my point about whetherhe can still spot talent that can flourish . Looked a good deal on paper. Looked a terrible deal on the pitch

He had an amazing start with those four goals at Anfield in the 4-4 draw. For the rest of that half season he was mustard; arguably the best player in the Premier League but he's gradually got worse in terms of effort. It'll be interesting to see how he does at Zenit St Petersburg. Hopefully extremely well and they'll buy him in the summer.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Their stadium is in Central London though, not in the middle of a field - so it's quite understandable how much the Stadium cost. There Chief Executive said they have 100m of funds to fall back on if they don't make Champs League so it won't be as big a disaster as for teams like Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester who have spent f*** loads. Read a stat the other day that Wenger has spent £20m in his time there. Ansolutely crazy. They will never have financial trouble aspecially with billionaire shareholders. Usmanov is richer than Abramovic

hardly central London, its still in N7 and only a couple of hundred yearsd from where Highbury was/is. And its not much different in infrastructure to Falmer - wheeras we had to get rid of a lot of chalk, their site comprised of a rubbish processing plant (looking much the same now!) and industrial estate, 80% owned by the Islington London Borough Council, Railtrack and Sainsbury's.

After a four-year price freeze, the cost of the cheapest season ticket has risen from £885 to £925 for next season.

The hike means Arsenal's prices are £275 more expensive than the next highest club, Liverpool, but Fizman insists tickets remain good value.

"There are often comparisons made and we seem to be expensive, but it's never apples for apples," he said.
"Our season tickets include cup and Champions League games, which other clubs charge extra for

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Man City spent loads, no one knows their debts, but they are at the top of the league having spent loads on some brilliant players and paying thme cast amounts.

daily Telegraph 2010
Manchester City owner Sheik Mansour has sensationally wiped out the club's £305million debts.

After Roman Abramovich pulled off a similar stunt at Chelsea last month, the mega-rich Abu Dhabi businessman - whose estimated worth is £560billion - has transformed the club's huge debt into equity.

Party time: High-flying Manchester City are now debt free

The release of City's yearly financial figures - that came peculiarly late last night - underlined how far they have to go if they want to take their rivals' Barclays Premier League crown.

City were bought by the Sheik Mansour's Abu Dhabi investment company in August 2008 and have subsequently spent more than £200m on players in a bid to break into the Premier League's top four.

With their revenue streams not greatly different from previous years - City have not yet had the benefit of Champions League income to bolster their finances - the world's richest football club lost £92.6m for the financial year ending May 31, 2009.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1240961/Manchester-City-owner-Sheik-Mansour-writes-clubs-305m-debts.html#ixzz1nbl06Ytd

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
He's had one or two snide digs at Manchester City, especially after the Carling Cup quarter-final defeat to them with their 'reserves' but nothing like saying "We would have won countless trophies these last seven years if we'd had the financial power of them" which he must be tempted to say after every frustrating season.

Your point was that he hasn't moaned about clubs spending beyond their means (which he has, often) not that he'd directly used that as an excuse for not winning trophies (which in my opinion he is inferring by his statements about financial doping and the hypocrisy of clubs like Chelsea voting for 'financial fair play' and then splashing out millions on players like Torres).

Don't get me wrong, I support the way Arsenal is being run 100%, but I really don't agree that Wenger (aside form a couple of snide digs) hasn't moaned about the way other clubs have splashed the cash in an unsustainable way. I think he's right to moan!

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
daily Telegraph 2010
Manchester City owner Sheik Mansour has sensationally wiped out the club's £305million debts.

After Roman Abramovich pulled off a similar stunt at Chelsea last month, the mega-rich Abu Dhabi businessman - whose estimated worth is £560billion - has transformed the club's huge debt into equity.

Party time: High-flying Manchester City are now debt free

The release of City's yearly financial figures - that came peculiarly late last night - underlined how far they have to go if they want to take their rivals' Barclays Premier League crown.

City were bought by the Sheik Mansour's Abu Dhabi investment company in August 2008 and have subsequently spent more than £200m on players in a bid to break into the Premier League's top four.

With their revenue streams not greatly different from previous years - City have not yet had the benefit of Champions League income to bolster their finances - the world's richest football club lost £92.6m for the financial year ending May 31, 2009.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1240961/Manchester-City-owner-Sheik-Mansour-writes-clubs-305m-debts.html#ixzz1nbl06Ytd

Honestly hate that, imagine how much good all that money could do yet it gets thrown
away on players for Shikh Mansour's hobby

MurrayGulliver

Nov 14, 2011
Portslade
Arsenal are the highest priced season tickets, I also saw that prices can fetch up to £1000 on big European nights. Yes great profits but most fans would like a trophy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Don't knock Wenger .. every transfer deal he's ever done has been a bargain, for players that subsequently became world class for them:

Wiltord £13m
Walcott £12m
Eduardo £10.2m
Hleb £10.2m
Jeffers £8m
Richard Wright £6m

And no one should sneer at 7 years & growing without silverware. They are the champs of the Profit & Loss Account.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

In fairness Arshavin was world class for his first two seasons. Sure he's been shit for the last 18 months but you wouldn't hear one Arsenal fan complaining after watching smash four by Liverpool.

Sent by the power of Gus' tactical genius

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here