Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal goal - handball?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I think Saka could have been offside ?
When that ball was first punted up field he looked like he was was ahead of Hinshlewood but ran back onside when he challenged Dunk ??

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think Saka could have been offside ?
When that ball was first punted up field he looked like he was was ahead of Hinshlewood but ran back onside when he challenged Dunk ??
This pic isn't conclusive because the ball is already in the air, but you can tell Saka is a few yards onside at that point (the picture is washed out because it is the TV visual effect as they transitioned to the replay of the camera angle from behind the goal, but it is the only angle I have seen that shows the players' positions in one shot):-

Saka.jpg

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I don’t think Dunk knew that Saka was there.
Having watched it again, I think you might be correct. Dunk glances to his left with the ball in the air but it is possible that he didn't see Saka because he was hidden behind Hinshelwood (see post above). It would explain why Dunk doesn't even appear to jump or go for the header, if anything he seems to duck under the ball.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It hits his hand, the hand is away from the body. Under last years rules, I think VAR chalks it off, (after about 7 minutes) this year, there is more emphasis on natural movements, so the goal was rightly allowed to stand.

It was very lucky it just bounces into his path, I think we can say that.

I also think he wasn't really competing for the ball, just running into Dunk and hoping it made him miss his header. Some refs would have given a foul. Again, I was no issue with the ref giving the goal. I'm not really blaming Dunky for it, it wasn't really an aerial challenge, it more more of a charge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here