Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal fans

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, but you can't listen to Dermot Gallagher as he's in on the conspiracy because Diaby:

Is this twit suggesting Gallagher suggests the Irishman should of been sent off for obstructing Veltman?

The international break is a gift that can't stop giving.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah, but you can't listen to Dermot Gallagher as he's in on the conspiracy because Diaby:

I might be missing something, but they are completely different situations, no?

As far as I can see, Arsenal fans wanted both Pedro and Velts sent off for two different 'offences', neither of which were worthy of a red - all because Rice picked up a second yellow for kicking the ball away.

Hilarious 😂

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not sure Dermot's backing up of a referee is ever the final word in debate.

While it's an annoying decision for Arsenal, and many consider it harsh, it's not necessarily wrong, and the suggestion by Mik Richards that it's the worst decision he's ever seen is awful clickbate.
You are the REAL Crodo and I claim my £5. And an evening with Polly and Giles.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014

“It always looks bad in slow motion.” FFS Maybe that’s because it was SHOCKING! …thankfully, for all the faults re its ‘USE,’ VAR would 99/100 get that one right, not that it would seem to have made a great deal of difference in that match, given the point at which it occurred on the cusp of full time it would seem.

Refs will NEVER get it right every time. It’s impossible, but when it comes to a retrospective reading of the laws and multiple replays after the fact, I think we can rely on any refs interpretation. Both Dermot and Dean are aligned on it. Pundits and ex players, not so much!

re Rice/Veltman, it’s really not as subjective as Arsenal would like to think. As harsh as it is, it’s actually very black and white. When considering the laws of the game as written, ‘with’ common sense applied, he delayed play. Job done!

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is this twit suggesting Gallagher suggests the Irishman should of been sent off for obstructing Veltman?

The international break is a gift that can't stop giving.
Seeing 'Dermot Gallagher' and 'Irish' in the same sentence, has reminded me of something I discovered a while back. Bizarrely, Dermot has two completely separate accents: an 'English' one he uses, as a referee and in media, and his own Irish one that he talks in otherwise!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I might be missing something, but they are completely different situations, no?

As far as I can see, Arsenal fans wanted both Pedro and Velts sent off for two different 'offences', neither of which were worthy of a red - all because Rice picked up a second yellow for kicking the ball away.

Hilarious 😂

The amount of guff I've read regarding Velts challenge is ridiculous.

It just isn't a red...
Not enough force or intent to warrant a red card. his calf catches Rice near the knee., i don't think his foot even touches Rice.
It certainly could have been a yellow, but Rice's playacting probably doesn't help that cause.
It was looked at by VAR who rightly decided it wasn't a Red.

The Ref watch clip they are comparing it to, has a player running up for a massive hoof and catches the player flush in the ankle.
Probably a red, with the mitigation that the Swansea player has no right to be anywhere near the ball - despite what Dermot says, I can completely understand why it wasn't given

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Looks very much like Veltnam went to kick the ball and Rice moved it away.
Hard to say but it looks like Velts foot doesn't actually touch Rice at all.
I think he catches him with his leg.
And only does so because Rice moves into his path.

If it was a deliberate kick, to cause damage, it's a very poor attempt from a professional footballer.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_7214.jpeg
    IMG_7214.jpeg
    697.2 KB · Views: 79

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Hard to say but it looks like Velts foot doesn't actually touch Rice at all.
I think he catches him with his leg.
And only does so because Rice moves into his path.

If it was a deliberate kick, to cause damage, it's a very poor attempt from a professional footballer.
Hard to say? Rice looks down and surreptitiously taps the ball away with his foot as Velts goes to kick it, so he ends up mis kicking a slow moving ball and connects with Rice who is effectively stepping across.

A yellow card for Rice all day long

Or am I being whooshed here?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Not easy to rule that Joao's was clear or deliberate either. He kicked the ball up the line before the ref blew his whistle for the throw. You can't delay a restart before the ref has ruled for a restart.

But if he kicked it before the ref blew that doesn't matter.
That's the crux of the matter. Play to the whistle lads. If the ref had blown the whistle before JP had kicked the ball away . . .

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Hard to say? Rice looks down and surreptitiously taps the ball away with his foot as Velts goes to kick it, so he ends up mis kicking a slow moving ball and connects with Rice who is effectively stepping across.

A yellow card for Rice all day long

Or am I being whooshed here?
Sorry my point was how bad Velts challenge was.

Initially I felt yelllow for both.
On first viewing I thought he's deliberately kicked him, but on second (actually more like 168th viewing) it looks like the contact is more calf on knee.
And that's predominantly because rice gets in the way.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Talked again for the 1567th time on sports bar last night where an Arsenal fan and semi pro referee agreed the decision was spot on despite Jamie O'hara still arguing that the ref should of used common sense and NOT sent Rice off!!🤬🤬. At least Cundy mocked the Arsenal fans for still going on about it 4 days later🤣
But there is no scope for "common sense" in the Rice scenario. In the extract of the Laws published earlier in this thread, the word "MUST" is used. Don't know where that version came from but the Laws as published on FA.com state:-

CAUTIONABLE OFFENCES

A player is cautioned if guilty of:

• delaying the restart of play

The crucial word here is "IS". Not might be. "IS". No discretion, no "common sense". The wording places an obligation on the referee to issue a caution.

It really is that simple.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But there is no scope for "common sense" in the Rice scenario. In the extract of the Laws published earlier in this thread, the word "MUST" is used. Don't know where that version came from but the Laws as published on FA.com state:-

CAUTIONABLE OFFENCES

A player is cautioned if guilty of:

• delaying the restart of play

The crucial word here is "IS". Not might be. "IS". No discretion, no "common sense". The wording places an obligation on the referee to issue a caution.

It really is that simple.

Similarly the Pedro "must be a yellow" doesn't seem to qualify , as kicking the ball away needs to be after the ref has stopped play

1725463108214.png

Not particularly well worded as the comma implies that only provoking a confrontation needs to be after the ref has stopped.
But if purely for kicking the ball awy is a bookable offence, it would be under it's own bullet point (I think)

Any refs care toclarify the potential ambiguity?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The amount of guff I've read regarding Velts challenge is ridiculous.

It just isn't a red...
Not enough force or intent to warrant a red card. his calf catches Rice near the knee., i don't think his foot even touches Rice.
It certainly could have been a yellow, but Rice's playacting probably doesn't help that cause.
It was looked at by VAR who rightly decided it wasn't a Red.

The Ref watch clip they are comparing it to, has a player running up for a massive hoof and catches the player flush in the ankle.
Probably a red, with the mitigation that the Swansea player has no right to be anywhere near the ball - despite what Dermot says, I can completely understand why it wasn't given
Agreed. Rice feigning serious injury would have been sufficient to have got him a second yellow anyway.

Even if Rice hadn't kicked the ball away, the OTT reaction to a tap on the shin was deserving of a sanction. (Although if Veltman had tapped Rice without the excuse of Rice kicking the ball away, I would have booked Velts).

Totally agree that Veltmans tap on the shin could never have been a red card.

But even seasoned international Rice admitted he did wrong and was fairly punished so I'm not sure where all the hissy-fits are coming from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here