Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal fans

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's also absolute horseshit. We had 6 red cards in one year alone.

I see that someone has added a correction. Arsenal have 16, not 17 and Wolves and Everton are tied for second with 13 each. Us, Chelsea and Tottenham all have 11. Sheff United have 9 and have only been in the league for half of those seasons.

I'd also add that 13 of Arsenal's came in Arteta's first three seasons. Rice's was only their third EPL sending off since August 2022.

Yeah typical twitter fake news

I think it's true that Arsenal have had 17 since Arteta took over and LIVERPOOL have had 7.
That has become no one else has had more than 7, to suit this particular argument.

I have spent way too much effort explaining stuff to Arsenal fans this week.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not easy to rule that Joao's was clear or deliberate either. He kicked the ball up the line before the ref blew his whistle for the throw. You can't delay a restart before the ref has ruled for a restart.
Exactly this.
The Rice card is because of the actions after the ref has awrded a freekick.
There is no grey area in that one.

Plenty of grey with Pedro's kick
No whistle
No attempt to restart made by Arsenall
No time wasted

Arteta started the gaslighting, by pretending it was the same offence.

All he wants is consistency.....

Sure. That's what he wants...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just read that the pgmol briefing this season was that the yellow card for delaying the restart should be given if the action was "clear, deliberate and impactful".
So both Pedro and Rice hit clear and deliberate. (Not that it's relevant if the ref got the Pedro one wrong arses).
Multi ball stops Pedro's being impactful, because there is no delay and Arteta even if he is allowed the world's largest technical area isn't allowed to give the ball to a player and you've got multi ball.
Rice is unfortunate in that Velts more than likely wasn't actually trying to pass to anyone, and that he'd have had to retake the kick for rolling ball anyway so it too should have failed on the impactful criteria.
To which I say Ha Ha.
The rolling ball argument doesn't apply as Veltman didn't kick it while it was moving because Rice had flicked it away and stopped him doing so. Rice isn't unfortunate. He got a yellow card for delaying the restart. He admitted it afterwards and he knew the rules. Dermot Gallagher explained everything you have posted about very clearly on Sky RefWatch. Watch the clip and all becomes clear.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly this.
The Rice card is because of the actions after the ref has awrded a freekick.
There is no grey area in that one.

Plenty of grey with Pedro's kick
No whistle
No attempt to restart made by Arsenall
No time wasted

Arteta started the gaslighting, by pretending it was the same offence.

All he wants is consistency.....

Sure. That's what he wants...

2 more things:
Do we know that when Pedro kicked the ball that it stayed on the pitch? It may have gone past the goal line. And how long did it take for Arsenal to get a ball?
And we wouldn't have cared if he had a card, it would have made no difference.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The rolling ball argument doesn't apply as Veltman didn't kick it while it was moving because Rice had flicked it away and stopped him doing so. Rice isn't unfortunate. He got a yellow card for delaying the restart. He admitted it afterwards and he knew the rules. Dermot Gallagher explained everything you have posted about very clearly on Sky RefWatch. Watch the clip and all becomes clear.
Thanks for that - just watched the clip - excellent. Probably well over 500 posts on the issue on NSC (on this thread and others) [no doubt many thousands on the various Arsenal message boards]. Think of all the time that could have been saved if everyone had just watched that clip!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Thanks for that - just watched the clip - excellent. Probably well over 500 posts on the issue on NSC (on this thread and others) [no doubt many thousands on the various Arsenal message boards]. Think of all the time that could have been saved if everyone had just watched that clip!
And avoid all the angst and conspiracy theories from Arsenal fans? Nah, let them stew for a couple of weeks as we enjoy being 3rd in the PL and above Arsenal.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I heard an argument that the JP 'ball' ended up back on field of play so therefore did interfere with play and restart. Is that correct or not ?
That's clutching at straws. The ball might be on the pitch or off the pitch, but it's not dead until the ref blows his whistle and says it is. In this case, that occurred after Joao had kicked it.

There was actually a moment in the second half when we were in possession and a second ball rolled onto the pitch. Jack Hinshelwood (I think) kicked it back off the pitch and the game continued with no stop in play. We weren't 1-0 up in injury time, otherwise the correct response would obviously be to kick the ball further onto the pitch, then complain to the officials that the ball is on the pitch, then wind up the full back to the point where he bites and gets in your face, then grab him as you fall to the ground to try and get him sent off, but then there's only one Neal Maupay.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
It's a conspiracy apparently ( sorry vendetta )
:giggle:

Interesting…..it couldn’t possibly suggest that they alternatively might wanna look at their conduct/general mentality, maybe?

It's also absolute horseshit. We had 6 red cards in one year alone.

I see that someone has added a correction. Arsenal have 16, not 17 and Wolves and Everton are tied for second with 13 each. Us, Chelsea and Tottenham all have 11. Sheff United have 9 and have only been in the league for half of those seasons.

I'd also add that 13 of Arsenal's came in Arteta's first three seasons. Rice's was only their third EPL sending off since August 2022.
EDIT: Oh, as expected then. What he said. Horsesh!t 👍🏻

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yeah typical twitter fake news

I think it's true that Arsenal have had 17 since Arteta took over and LIVERPOOL have had 7.
That has become no one else has had more than 7, to suit this particular argument.

I have spent way too much effort explaining stuff to Arsenal fans this week.
Incidentally, 6 of the sixteen Arsenal have had, over a third, were given to just two players. David Luiz and Grant Xhaka. Without those two, Arsenal wouldn't even be in the top five for red cards.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
2 more things:
Do we know that when Pedro kicked the ball that it stayed on the pitch? It may have gone past the goal line. And how long did it take for Arsenal to get a ball?
And we wouldn't have cared if he had a card, it would have made no difference.
It was clearly off - but Pedro was chasing it and didn't quite catch it, kicked out in frustration - not a deliberate attempt to waste time.
He kicked it avbout half a second after it went out.

The ball went straight to Raya, who could have thrown it off the pitch if an Arsenal player had grabbed the closest ball for a quick one.

There isn't any chance that any professional ref is giving a card for that in the first half of a match.
Different story if we were 1-0 up with 10 men and 10 minutes left.
But we weren't.

Context is everything.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
https://www.skysports.com/football/...nding-off-against-brighton-the-right-decision

End of! 👍🏻

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought you could do another course for the same offence if three years had lapsed? Asking for a friend…..
You can, albeit it has been increased to 3.5 years, now. The bastards!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Arsenal fans are a bit weird aren't they?

Right? Just a bit weird.

So very weird.
The weirdest.

And weirdest is a bit wrong....so....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I believe it’s known as gaslighting. Whether JP should have had a yellow is totally unconnected to the Rice incident as Fab pointed out. :D
'Gaslighting', 'performative', 'whataboutery', 'hubris', 'carpetbagging'

My, how the vocabulary of NSC has expanded during 14 years of Conservative government. :ohmy:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Yeah, but you can't listen to Dermot Gallagher as he's in on the conspiracy because Diaby:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here