Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal fan does a me

Dec 29, 2011
So if you don't like the way a film is going after an hour and you think the end might be crap you walk out ?

Football is 90 minutes ish and only an idiot would leave before full time because of the score.

I don't think this is a fair comparison. Football is a 90 minute game where the action is usually fairly evenly spread out (maybe a skew of goals between 30 - 75 minutes), whereas a film's 'action' is all skewed towards the last 20 minutes. You'd be an idiot to walk out of a film just before finding out the plot spoiler, whereas walking out with 5 minutes to go 2 goals down isn't so stupid, seeing as the likelihood of seeing a comeback is very low.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
At least they were THREE down at Halftime. We were only two down!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think this is a fair comparison. Football is a 90 minute game where the action is usually fairly evenly spread out (maybe a skew of goals between 30 - 75 minutes), whereas a film's 'action' is all skewed towards the last 20 minutes. You'd be an idiot to walk out of a film just before finding out the plot spoiler, whereas walking out with 5 minutes to go 2 goals down isn't so stupid, seeing as the likelihood of seeing a comeback is very low.

While I agree with the sentiment that it's a poor comparison the film fan in me wants to point out:

The final 20 minutes rely on you being invested in the characters and the situation to have impact, if the first hour or so leaves you not caring, so what if you miss the action? I know people who walked out of Dumb and Dumberer, people who walked out of Sherlock Holmes 2 (the Guy Ritchie one), I went to a showing of Speed Racer which saw half the audience leave before the end (there were only 8 to start with).

If the film hasn't done enough to grip you and pull you in, you're not going to care about the final third.

I would argue that every film I watch sees the majority of the audience leave before the end - many jump up and run out as soon as the credits start missing an addendum, teasers, outtakes, call backs and other various additional footage.

So the comparison is a bad one because
-audiences leave films early regularly and en masse, worse than football.
-Films are scripted and built to conclusions where the final moments are the pay off (though some continue on - LOTR - The Return of the King I'm looking at you)
-Football games peter out some times, one team taking a strong lead will usually make the result a foregone conclusion, the exceptions are rare.
-Films are escapism, stories in another world, football is a sport featuring a team you have invested in and have a strong emotional bond with and the teams failings are felt deep, you don't tend to have such a connection with movies.

Last edited:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Absolutely. "Arsenal" is a single entity, in that it is one football club, so he should have written "Arsenal DOESN'T deserve my support"

Sheesh, some people.

I think it works either way, you could say 'Arsenal are' if you are referring to the team as a collection of players.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
About 30 years ago i left the goldstone at half time with us losing 1-0 to Liverpool. I was a young lad and was in the ground early. There was no roof on the north stand and after a couple of hours standing in the pissing hard rain, i decided to leave. When i got home i found out the game had finished 3-3.

I have never left a game early since.

D

Deleted member 18477

Why would any arsenal fan admit they walked out last night before the end! You would never live it down!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Mark Bright just said he left at 4-2 :tosser:
I imagine [MENTION=18794]seagullondon[/MENTION] will be leaping to his defence :facepalm:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
A large number of Reading fans left at 4-2 on 88 mins by all accounts. I wonder how long it took many to realise they wouldn't be in the QF draw.

Reminded also of the Liverpool fans who left Istanbul at 3-0 down, European Cup Final, and spent the whole of the 2nd half and extra time on the bus crawling back to the city centre.

What is so important in some fans' lives that they spend a lot of time, money and effort going to a game but don't have the attention span to see it through?

PG

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Memories of that PMB thread just make me smile.

Way back in the 70s ,we were kids in the north stand for an evening game. It got to half time and it was a really boring 0-0 draw. I think it was pissing down too.
One of our lot said he was fed up with it and he was going home.
This was before the days of NSC, or even local radio come to that. I don't think he found out the final score until we got to school the next morning.

Ward 4 + Mellor 3 = Brighton 7 Walsall 0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here