Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal 1 - Brighton 0 (Bergkamp 61)

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
http://www.arsenal.com/matchreport.asp?thisNav=fixtures&fxid=294618

Sol Campbell and Robin van Persie made successful comebacks from injury as Arsenal beat Brighton 1-0 in a friendly played behind-closed-doors at the Club's training ground on Tuesday morning.

The England defender, in his first appearance since he suffered bruising to his ankle on February 1, played the entire 90 minutes while the Dutch striker, out since the same game with a broken toe, featured for 72 minutes.

Arsenal's other Dutch striker, Dennis Bergkamp, got the only goal in the 61st minute. But the home side should have had more against a Brighton side made up of mostly Reserve team players.

Arsenal were dominant from the start. In the fourth minute, Van Persie sent over a low cross from the right and Ryan Smith cracked a sidefoot shot just past the post.

Five minutes later Bergkamp coolly nutmegged his marker and curled a sumptuous pass for Van Persie to collect eight yards out. The Dutchman controlled it wonderfully with his chest but hooked his shot wide when he might have scored.

Joe Gatting, son of former Arsenal midfielder Steve, went close for the visitors soon afterwards. But, in general, the tide was against the Seagulls.

The lively Theo Walcott thumped a shot just wide and, in the 24th minute, 'scored' with a crisp long-range drive following Van Persie's clever chest down. Unfortunately the assistant referee had flagged for offside in the build-up to the 'goal'.

Arsenal continued to look dangerous before and beyond half-time but, until they scored, the closest they came was when substitute Anthony Stokes thumped a long-range drive into the chest of the Brighton keeper.

The winning goal arrived just past the hour. Walcott teased his marker on the left of the area and sent over a delightful cross that invited Bergkamp to head home powerfully from close range.

Arsenal set about increasing their lead straight after the goal. Van Persie bamboozled his marker before dragging a shot wide at the near post then Stokes let fly from distance.

In the 67th minute, Van Persie sent Walcott clear but the 16-year-old, who played on both flanks and through the middle during the course of the match, could only shoot tamely at the keeper.

Arsenal's last chance went to Alex Song who cracked an optimistic shot over the bar with six minutes remaining.

Arsenal:
* Manuel Almunia
* Mart Poom 45
* Sol Campbell
* Matthew Connolly
* A Trialist 60
* Johan Djourou
* Armand Traore
* Ryan Garry 60
* Ryan Smith
* Anthony Stokes 40
* Sebastian Larsson
* Alexandre Song
* Theo Walcott
* Dennis Bergkamp
* Fabrice Muamba 80
* Robin Van Persie
* Nicklas Bendtner 72

----

So I guess that Lupoli played for Brighton. But that's only a guess...:jester:

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Brighton & Hove Albion

* Richard Martin
* Paul Reid
* Tommy Elphick
* Jason Dodd
* Sam Rents
* Jake Robinson
* Dean Cox
* Alex Nicholas
* Danny Loft
* Joe Gatting
* Chris McPhee

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like Arsenal were literally there to run around a pitch for 90 minutes, especially if they couldn't put more than one past that team.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Mmm. So this Lupoli bloke didn't even play. Great.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
so we still can't score

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
mmmm, that reports seems heavily stacked towards the Arsenal performance. They wouldn't have only won 1-0 if they had that much dominance. I guess it was written by Arsenal themselves.

:dunce: Just seen the link to Arsenal.com, sorry

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
DAMANCLAY said:
Does not look like we will be getting any arsenal strikers on loan then.

DIck said keep the faith on the phone in, so who knows what is happening

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Stinky Kat said:
DIck said keep the faith on the phone in, so who knows what is happening

I am but they are hardly likely to send us Bergkamp/Van persie on loan. The only that might have a chance is Bendtner and he is only 17;

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
DAMANCLAY said:
I am but they are hardly likely to send us Bergkamp/Van persie on loan. The only that might have a chance is Bendtner and he is only 17;
This friendly wasn't about us scouting, it was mroe about them getting Van Persie and Campbell fit. If Van Persie is fit it pushes A.N. Other down the pecking order.

Bendtner or Stokes are strikers, Muamba I think is tough tackling midfielder. ???
Let's jsut have their whole youth team. :lolol:

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We were doing Arsenal a favour to get vanPersie and Campbell fit by playing this friendly. I'm surprised we didn't sent the 1st team though.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I wonder if we charged Arsenal or if we really are just a nice club and did it for the fun of it

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
seagullsovergrimsby said:
We were doing Arsenal a favour to get vanPersie and Campbell fit by playing this friendly. I'm surprised we didn't sent the 1st team though.

Im not, waste of time and effort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here