Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arismendi / Hendrie Dilemma

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
It was a mistake to bring Arismendi on last night, imho.

I think Gus only brought him on to mix it up and give him a go. Gus hinted at this in the post-match. Fine if you're 2 or 3 up against crap like Tranny, not a great idea when you're playing a decent side like Soton.

Judging from the way Hendrie bossed it on Saturday, I reckon Gus should have brought him on instead. I think we would have controlled the midfield a bit better and maybe kept hold of our slender lead.

I think Nav was playing pretty well too; he shoulda stayed on, maybe Hendrie on for Dicker?

IMHO and all that...

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
i thought Hendrie for experience over Arismendi, however Lua Lua's cross to Barnes shows Gus knows more than me, and hindsight is such a wonderful thing.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think your probably right. Hendries life long experience and quality would have served us well in the situation. I dont think Arismendi was up for it.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Gus made a couple of inspired substitutions at the right time, but it was a mistake to bring of Navarro who was doing a fine job protecting the defence.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I thought Arismende looked a bit like a fish out of water last night. I also think that Hendrie might have been a better option, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
i thought Hendrie for experience over Arismendi, however Lua Lua's cross to Barnes shows Gus knows more than me, and hindsight is such a wonderful thing.

I thought Arismende looked a bit like a fish out of water last night. I also think that Hendrie might have been a better option, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing, although to be fair I was standing in D block as he was coming on, telling everyone around me that I thought it was a mistake, and that Hendrie should be coming on for Dicker. Oh well..

As for the others: Yes, Barnes is worth 20 Holroyds. Holroyd needs to spend a season in the reserves (been saying that since he joined).. And Lua Lua is quality. Sign him up!

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
In hindsight I agree with you. In the post-match interview Gus said he put him on because of his height, anticipating an aerial bombardment, so you can see his thinking.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't see the problem Hendrie not exactly the tallest, while Soton brought on 3 big lads and were going to launch it forward even more than they had been. Navarro was never going to win those so Arismendi made sense, looked like he was lacking football but won the headed balls

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone

:lolol:

Ok, maybe 20:1 is a bit extreme! However, I've seen pretty much every minute of Holroyd's performances for us and he's never looked like scoring to me. He's struggling to look like a League 1 player.

Barnes, on the other hand, has Championship written all over him, as witnessed by his 2 goals in just over 50 minutes of footy. Myabe he's just been lucky, but he's looked far more threatening, imo.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I think if southampton had cracked another one in at the death all the talk today would have been about his last sub, taking off navarro who was playing well and bringing on Arismendi who didnt do anything, he didnt know he wouldnt have much impact at the time though, but although gus`s attacking subs choices are usually very good, his defensive subs choices havent always been on the button.

The recent home games against Norwich, Swindon and Southampton have all had fairly late goals that I think could have been avoided with a boost from the bench in defence. We don`t always seem at the moment to be able to see these games out and its something we need to get right for next season. If we can cure that and get another striker in to keep Murray and Co on their toes and allowing for injuries I think we`ve got a cracking chance next term.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I think if southampton had cracked another one in at the death all the talk today would have been about his last sub, taking off navarro who was playing well and bringing on Arismendi who didnt do anything, he didnt know he wouldnt have much impact at the time though, but although gus`s attacking subs choices are usually very good, his defensive subs choices havent always been on the button.

The recent home games against Norwich, Swindon and Southampton have all had fairly late goals that I think could have been avoided with a boost from the bench in defence. We don`t always seem at the moment to be able to see these games out and its something we need to get right for next season. If we can cure that and get another striker in to keep Murray and Co on their toes and allowing for injuries I think we`ve got a cracking chance next term.

Yeah pretty much agree. If we wanted someone for aerial presence, surely Virgo would have been just as good an option?

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Yep, I thought he`d bring on Virgo too, cos we`d escaped a couple of shots whizzing just past the post and 1 or 2 other attacks that we managed to ride before then bringing Aris on instead, and annoyingly if you look at their equaliser the guys just got a free shot with no-one blocking him which could have been Virgo who`s actually bloody good at getting his carcass in the way of defenders and shots when we`re hanging on.

Very similar to the Leeds equaliser which was a free shot with no-one blocking him, (although Virgs was of course in that case absent due to the silly sod getting himself sent off) and against Norwich, Hoolihan was the one we needed to stifle in that last 10 mins but he bought on Carole to help in attack when El-Abd would have loved to have come on and given him the time of day, I`m sure. Both goals subsequently came from him. Just think Gus needs to recognise when to shut up shop and see out the game and whose best placed to do that for him but what do I know, I`m only a humble STH sitting in the stands.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Agree, Hendrie was probably who was required.

But Gus has got lots of things right that I didn't think would work, so I'll trust him in the long run

macky

Dec 28, 2004
im surprised that mr bloom took so much trouble searching for mr poyet when theres plenty on our own message board more than capale of doing the job
ah wel lat least when gus go's i think mr bloom will havea lot better idea of where to look for his next manager just hope he reads this board

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I think he should ask the crowd behind him who the subs should be, dont you?? We could all take it in turns!:lolol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Arismendi needs match experience so he can be evaluated properly rather than what he does in training. Gus had 2 choices last night either Hendrie or Arismendi to freshen the midfield knowing Southampton would be strong at the death and probably chose Diego for his stature against 3 big forwards.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Am I reading too much into last nights article in The Argus about Lee Hendrie when he kept referring to next seasoin and WE must get used to playing long ball route one teams. Everything seemed to be we as if he is expecting to sign for us during the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here