Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arise Sir BEEFY

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
As Uncle Spielberg to tell you what he thinks of Ian Botham, the man.

People do tend to base their opinions of celebrities on one meeting and not build up a balanced picture.

He deserves it on the the back of his walks and him being the most exciting English cricketer of his generation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
People do tend to base their opinions of celebrities on one meeting and not build up a balanced picture.

He deserves it on the the back of his walks and him being the most exciting English cricketer of his generation.

I think that for his charity work, he does deserve it. Have not once questioned that.

Just don't think he's a terribly nice chap, that's all.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Agreed. I think 99% of the sporting/entertainment knighthoods are undeserved. Elton John? Cliff Richard? Harry Secombe? You might as well give one to Michael Barrymore. At least Botham was genuinely great in his profession (as opposed to say Geoff Hurst) and has since raised millions of pounds for charity so he is perhaps more deserving than most others.

and Elton has not raised money for charity ?? I would say he's raised tens of millions in his time. I believe ALL profits from his records now go to charity (presumably Aids ones).

I'm not a fan of the honours system, but if anyoe deserves it, it's people like Beefy and EJ.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
and Elton has not raised money for charity ?? I would say he's raised tens of millions in his time. I believe ALL profits from his records now go to charity (presumably Aids ones).

I'm not a fan of the honours system, but if anyoe deserves it, it's people like Beefy and EJ.
My main complaint is that Elton is 'just another songwriter and performer' whereas as I said Botham was one of the greatest cricketers of all time. However, ok, I'll grant you Elton for his charity work. Now come up with good reasons why the other ones I mentined are worthy of knighthoods. It's a bit like Paul Collingwood and his "MBE for scoring seven runs." (Copyright - Shane Warne).

OOh. Add Mick Jagger to that list.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here