Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

argus

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
nice piece from booker today,talks a lot of sense

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Makes me angry at the board to be honest, Booker comes across as very pissed off, whatever he might say. Especially the fact that he was promised a job for life, but now has been removed to keep the chairmans reputation intact.:nono:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
and the big point for those that didnt think mm was loyal to this club,quote( mark was offered several jobs after he kept us up but wanted to stay loyal to the club)

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Withdean Wanderer said:
Makes me angry at the board to be honest, Booker comes across as very pissed off, whatever he might say. Especially the fact that he was promised a job for life, but now has been removed to keep the chairmans reputation intact.:nono:
To offer anyone a job for life is stupid, especially in football.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
That 'job for life' doesnt mean the same job.

I'd expect him to be made Youth team coach or have a coaching possition in the youth accademy or something like that.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
ali_jenkins123 said:
That 'job for life' doesnt mean the same job.

I'd expect him to be made Youth team coach or have a coaching possition in the youth accademy or something like that.

Yes, but he's been sacked, as in booted out COMPLETELY.

???

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Withdean Wanderer said:

I don't know many jobs where the company wouldn't drop any employee like a hot brick if it suits them. Why should jobs at the Albion be any different?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
empire said:
and the big point for those that didnt think mm was loyal to this club,quote( mark was offered several jobs after he kept us up but wanted to stay loyal to the club)

I thought as much. You don't perform a near miracle and get ignored by other clubs.

MM and BB. :bowdown:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Rangdo said:
I don't know many jobs where the company wouldn't drop any employee like a hot brick if it suits them. Why should jobs at the Albion be any different?

Because that assistant manager has contributed to a lot more good things here than bad. 3 lost games and suddenly he's gone:nono:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Withdean Wanderer said:
Because that assistant manager has contributed to a lot more good things here than bad. 3 lost games and suddenly he's gone:nono:

And? The Albion are still a business and if the board deem his removal as being for the benefit of the club then so be it. They are in that position to make those kinds of decisions. In my life I've known loads of people that have done nothing but good for the company they work for only to be booted out for the good of the company for cost cutting or restructuring or some other reason. Why should a job at a football club be any different to a job at any other company? If anything jobs in sport are notoriously fragile.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Rangdo said:
And? The Albion are still a business and if the board deem his removal as being for the benefit of the club then so be it. They are in that position to make those kinds of decisions. In my life I've known loads of people that have done nothing but good for the company they work for only to be booted out for the good of the company for cost cutting or restructuring or some other reason. Why should a job at a football club be any different to a job at any other company? If anything jobs in sport are notoriously fragile.

Sorry, i haven't made that clear - I don't think his removal his for the benefit of the club. It's hard to put into words, but all he has bought is good to this club - team sprit, and promotion winning ideas (he's been involved in 3 with 3 different managers, he obviously could have been a great asset in getting out of this league). An example: He was assistant to to Hinshelwood, who was deservingly sacked...yet he stayed on afterwards, and we had more success with two different managers (well, relatively speaking in Coppells case).

Now i know our set pieces have been DIRE in recent years, but to remove the assistant manager because of 3 defeats? Seems a bit harsh to me.

It was very sad reading because you can tell his world has fallen in. The little details were the worst, McGhee having to pep him up for the last meeting with the players, etc.

Wonder if he regrets not taking that job with Micky Adams now, individuals might be more loyal than clubs and he could have followed Adams around as No2.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I dearly hope that both of them get decent jobs they deserve. I have a lot of time for MM and BB. Both very nice chaps with a passion for the sport.

LI, I am sure you mentioned something about a link to write to them both. Do you think this is still 'live'? I haven't had a chance yet.....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Withdean Wanderer said:
Sorry, i haven't made that clear - I don't think his removal his for the benefit of the club. It's hard to put into words, but all he has bought is good to this club - team sprit, and promotion winning ideas (he's been involved in 3 with 3 different managers, he obviously could have been a great asset in getting out of this league). An example: He was assistant to to Hinshelwood, who was deservingly sacked...yet he stayed on afterwards, and we had more success with two different managers (well, relatively speaking in Coppells case).

Now i know our set pieces have been DIRE in recent years, but to remove the assistant manager because of 3 defeats? Seems a bit harsh to me.

It's difficult, isn't it? Bob Booker has been with us through some wonderful times. He continually displayed emotion which made us feel he was one of us too.

I started this thread http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68334 a long time back. I did it as a devil's advocate type thing, but there was a degree of truth to the sentiment - Bob Booker had at that time, and this had continued until the time of his sacking, seemingly been free of all criticism for team performances. And I'm not sure why that was. Other than the fact we love him of course.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Bozza said:
It's difficult, isn't it? Bob Booker has been with us through some wonderful times. He continually displayed emotion which made us feel he was one of us too.

I started this thread http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68334 a long time back. I did it as a devil's advocate type thing, but there was a degree of truth to the sentiment - Bob Booker had at that time, and this had continued until the time of his sacking, seemingly been free of all criticism for team performances. And I'm not sure why that was. Other than the fact we love him of course.

I remember that thread, oddly enough, and remember agreeing with it at the time.

But to be honest, i'm sceptical that 3 defeats is long enough to sack a manager with! And at the end of the day, it's the manager in charge, i'm fairly sure (although not certain) the assistant only contributes in a minor way in terms of tactics, and is probably more responsible for considering the coaching and the ooponents styles of play. So to get rid of him, with Dick not really giving a reason, seems unbelievable harsh.

But then, being fairly uneducated about the position probably doesn't help.

Also heard that his affair with Nicky Keig-Shevlin might had angered the board, and that that might have been something to do with it. Although that is from a very reliable source though, i'm not sure even I can believe it! :lolol:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Isn't there a simple, practical reason for Bob Booker's departure?

If the club decides to go for an outside manager, there's bound to be the usual problem... most bosses would prefer to bring in their own assistant. No-one would want to get rid of Wilkins, but he could slot back into place as a coach while White returns to Chief Scout without that being much of a drama.

Keeping Booker on would have just made it a lot more difficult to attract a quality boss...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here