Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus to move to southampton

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is this being done so that they can imitate the TV news on Meridian ? ???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's quite a shift.

The printing presses at Hollingbury (there are three) offered services for newspapers across the south east.

Can't see this one going quietly without the unions getting involved - and it's only recently that Gannett has recognised the unions; something they're strongly opposed to.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Argus is only printed once a day now , it will become like the rest of the local dailies around the country , yesterdays news packaged as if it happened today.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I stopped buying the Argus when it became a one edition paper and also stopped the Sports Argus on a Saturday evening.

I can get the paper for 10p at the Uni, but still dont think its worth that.

I always come to NSC to get the FACTS. No competition IMHO.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Yet The Argus is part of our heritage. I still buy it and find local Sussex news that I would not find anywhere else. Also where would I find the cock ups such as today when the news article is all about Seaford traffic wardens but the opinion column referring to the story talks about Saltdean traffic wardens. It's priceless stuff. I would miss it if it goes under.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The Liverpool Echo is printed in Oldham

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
How are the mighty fallen.

My first job was at the Argus in the ad department at North Street. In those days (not saying when!) they printed several editions a day. Circulation peaked at 107,00 - God knows what it is now - probably 40,000 at best.

Used to spend half the morning driving around in the Argus green and black minivan picking up ad copy. Back to the office in time for the first midday edition delivered to our desks. Spend a few minutes fielding calls from angry advertisers whose ads where missing, misprinted or placed next door to a competitors ad and kill time until 1pm and the one and a half hour lunch break.

Afternoon trotting down to the printing works in Robert Street bearing late copy and printing blocks (stereos as you old time printers may recall) which weighed a ton. Will the tyrant of an overseer tell me to "f*** off and take your f***ing late copy with you". It happened often enough.

4.45pm and the late editions are out. Down tools and read the paper. More angry advertisers - end of the day.

Efficent it wasn't. It seemed to employ half the population of Brighton and made money like there was no tomorrow.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Strange angle for that story to take. Rocks and the mighty Source were dropped, but neither was really hurt - both are thriving (I think) as independents now. The Source is certainly stronger as an indie. The real casualties have been the huge number of talented peeps in editorial and production who have lost their jobs. I'm proud to say that (as far as I am aware) all of NSC's finest have left Argus Towers of their own accord and gone on to better things, but there were one or two diehard Albion fans in printing...love to 'em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here