Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus - The HUNT is on!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Interesting that Naylor only mentions Coppell as an 'other name'. If I was looking for a tip in that article I would say it was Southgate.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Think you could be right. The fact they talk about the next man leading us out at Falmer and beyond means it could well be a young manager rather than SC

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One of the names mentioned in the article that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread (or anywhere else on NSC) is Iain Dowie. Is everybody scared that if they mention his name he'll suddenly appear in the dugout? C'mon, it's not like summoning up the devil or anything ...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Think you could be right. The fact they talk about the next man leading us out at Falmer and beyond means it could well be a young manager rather than SC
Yeah they talk about it. They talked about Wilkins doing it. They talked about Adams doing it. They talked about Slade doing it. Do you really think the next manager will be in charge when Falmer opens? That's one and threequarter seasons away and we haven't had a manager last for two seasons since 1993.

History (and common sense) suggests that Slade's replacement will NOT be leading us out at Falmer. At best he will be the interim manager before the Falmer manager, and yes of course I hope I'm wrong.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yeah they talk about it. They talked about Wilkins doing it. They talked about Adams doing it. They talked about Slade doing it. Do you really think the next manager will be in charge when Falmer opens? That's one and threequarter seasons away and we haven't had a manager last for two seasons since 1993.

History (and common sense) suggests that Slade's replacement will NOT be leading us out at Falmer. At best he will be the interim manager before the Falmer manager, and yes of course I hope I'm wrong.

Not saying it will work out (hope it will) but they will at least plan for the next manager to be the one that leads us out at Falmer.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
My take on the main candidates:

Wise: Will have Ken Browns support and will surely be on Blooms radar given the press speculation over the last year. Getting rid of Booker and White paves the way for Gus Poyet and another hand (perhaps Dave Bassett?) to come in which may convince Bloom he can take a risk on Wise. Would certainly split the Albion support but could make a big impact. Certainly a gamblers choice!!

Coppell: By far the best candidate, proven track record, a strong affinity with the club and unfinished business. Not sure how many dealings he has had with any of the Blooms, Barry Lloyd or Ken Brown but I think it's safe to say he will be sounded out. If he has the passion and determination to really want the job he would be my pick.

Curbishley: Can't see what all the fuss is about, no track record at this level, seems pretty uninspiring and apparently unlikely to take any job due to compensation proceedings. Perhaps the upside here is that Curbs would be taking a hell of risk coming here and would be convinced he can deliver success. Can't see it happening but the presence of Steve Brown is intriguing.

Southgate: My second choice, seemed to be learning well at Boro and would surely help solve our immediate problem area - basic defending. I think he could make an impact, be popular with the support and bring in some fresh ideas and practices. Will surely get an opportunity somewhere and it's make or break time for his managerial career.

Gannon: Was Dick Knight's man but he surely had the backing of the board to patiently pursue him. With loyalty to Stockport no longer an issue and plenty of his former players already here we might get a yes this time. Was my pick last time around but with strong candiates without a club he might not get a look in.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
“We are desperate to be in the Championship by the time we get to Falmer. We haven’t yet written off this season for that, although it is obviously looking very tough"

= ££££ to buy more players. Never seen Bloom quite so overt about this before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here