Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus - The HUNT is on!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't sound like we have anyone lined up...???

==============

Hunt to find Albion's new boss
9:50am Monday 2nd November 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Andy Naylor »

ALBION chairman Tony Bloom has drawn up a shortlist of candidates to become manager after sacking Russell Slade.

Dennis Wise and Gareth Southgate are thought to be among the favourites as the hunt begins for the Seagulls’ fifth boss in three years.

The new man may not be in place for Saturday’s FA Cup tie at Wycombe Wanderers, so former boss Martin Hinshelwood could take the team at Adams Park.

Hinshelwood, now director of football, has been handed caretaker charge, with youth coach Steve Brown and ex-captain Charlie Oatway as his assistants, after Slade, his No. 2 Dean White and Bob Booker were all axed in the wake of Saturday’s 3-3 home draw against Hartlepool.

Bloom revealed: “We have got some people in mind, that is all at this stage. I am pretty open minded right now.

“It’s an absolutely critical decision and, although we want to do it as quickly as possible, by far the most important thing is to get the right person in.

“We are working hard to secure the right manager for the club. We cannot put a timescale on it. We may have a manager in by Saturday, we may not, we really do have no idea.

“Martin, with Steve and Charlie assisting him, is taking training on Monday and the first thing they are doing is preparing for the Wycombe game.

“They have got to work as if they are going to be there and if anything changes beforehand then so be it.”

Former Leeds chief and Newcastle director of football Wise has been linked with the post before.

He is a good friend of Albion’s managing director Ken Brown after they worked together at Millwall.

Southgate, brought up in Crawley, was sacked last month by Middlesbrough. He is also believed to be the type of manager wanted by the Albion Board to lead the club into their new Falmer stadium the season after next.

Other names likely to be discussed include ex-Albion manager Steve Coppell, the club’s former midfielder Alan Curbishley and Iain Dowie.

The decision to dismiss Slade was taken during an emergency Board meeting following Saturday’s result, which left Albion just outside the League One relegation zone.

Bloom said: “It was a very tough decision and a decision we haven’t made lightly. Russell worked really hard to make it work and try to turn things around.

“We are desperate to be in the Championship by the time we get to Falmer. We haven’t yet written off this season for that, although it is obviously looking very tough.

“We have got to think in our own minds, have we got the right people, the right set-up to do that? We are looking at the longer term future, who could get us there, who could keep us there and push us on, and we decided to change things.

It’s not on one game, it’s on everything; results, performances, certain aspects of everything, there is not one thing.”

Sacking the long-serving White and Booker as well is a departure from the policy of former chairman Dick Knight, who normally retained the backroom staff when appointing a new manager.

Bloom said: “This allows us a clean slate to find a manager who can then choose who he believes are the right people to assist him in reaching our goals”.

We decided that was the right thing to do, because it can sometimes be difficult for a new person to come in and not have that flexibility.”

Jake Wright resumes training today after ankle trouble and loan signings Gavin Hoyte and Matt Thornhill are both available for Saturday’s FA Cup tie at Wycombe Wanderers.

Albion are waiting for permission to play Thornhill’s Nottingham Forest team-mate Arron Davies.

================

D

Deleted User X18H

Ridiculous so why wasn't Slade allowed the chance to 'choose the right people in assisting in him to achieve our goals' as thousands were saying for months.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Names I like that have been thrown in so far: Coppell, Southgate, Tilson.

Ones I don't like: Dowie (been found out lately), Cotterill (dinosaur), Tony Adams (useless manager), Barnes (ditto), Taylor (been there done that, dull football too). Not sure Wise is the man for us either.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Seeing as Naylor only a week ago assured us Slade would be here until the turn of the year I'm not sure we can read too much into this...

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Andy Naylor read the first couple of pages of one post on NSC then went to write that so i would hardly credit anything he says

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
from this article it seems no one is lined up . i was hoping that TB sacked russ as he had already approached someone. so please let this be naylor showing he has no info and the right man is waiting in the wings .

step forward steve coppell

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
153515.jpg

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Suppose bloom doesnt want to make it sound like he had someone waiting in the wings as well

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
If the quote from Tony is accurate then I`m truly seriously concerned, surely we havent sacked without first ensuring a new man has been sounded out, terms agreed etc, surely he`s not that stupid? Just hope thats a bit of bluff, as for weasel wise, no thank you!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If the quote from Tony is accurate then I`m truly seriously concerned, surely we havent sacked without first ensuring a new man has been sounded out, terms agreed etc, surely he`s not that stupid? Just hope thats a bit of bluff, as for weasel wise, no thank you!

i wouldn't worry about it. Bloom is just playing media games, he knows what he is doing.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Names I like that have been thrown in so far: Coppell, Southgate, Tilson.

Agreed. Coppell would probably be my choice - just give him total charge of the football set-up. But then Southgate could really be interesting. Even as Boro sacked him they were singing his praises - maybe just needs something lower profile to really shine. On top of which, he's a really, really nice bloke.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Agreed. Coppell would probably be my choice - just give him total charge of the football set-up. But then Southgate could really be interesting. Even as Boro sacked him they were singing his praises - maybe just needs something lower profile to really shine. On top of which, he's a really, really nice bloke.

Missed a penno in 1996 though, and for that he will never be forgiven

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
i wouldn't worry about it. Bloom is just playing media games, he knows what he is doing.

Exactly!! He isn't going to come out and say someone is lined up and Russ was basically gone before Saturday. He has too much respect for him to say that in the press and appreciates what he has done for this football club.

The only thing that I take from Naylor's piece is when TB says it was not all on one game but a variety of things. This, to me, sounds like it has been on the cards for a while - I'm sure he has spoken to potential managers and I'm sure he has someone lined up who has already told him that he wants to bring in his own backroom staff, hence why DW and BB are no longer with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here