Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus: Seagulls still want Ryan Harley

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Harley himself has indicated that he wants to go then Tisdale will probably have very little say in the matter really as I`d expect the Exeter chairman to make the right decision for the club, and that would be to take a fee now rather than lose him for nothing come the summer. Of course it depends on how much he is worth but it would be madness to turn down, say 150k or so. If they had a realistic chance of going up then of course Tisdale would have a point.

Last edited:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
If Harley himself has indicated that he wants to go then Tilson will probably have very little say in the matter really as I`d expect the Exeter chairman to make the right decision for the club, and that would be to take a fee now rather than lose him for nothing come the summer. Of course it depends on how much he is worth but it would be madness to turn down, say 150k or so. If they had a realistic chance of going up then of course Tilson would have a point.

I didn't know that Steve Tilson has taken over at Exeter? ....

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Ah it is still Tisdale, I didn't think I was going mad!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
from mark by sea on argus website nearly always 100% correct

overall he is better than most.

harley reportedly had flu (seems genuine) last week so only played as a sub at the weekend.

applauded the crowd as he came off and this is being interpreted as either "he is going" (by the pessimists) or "he always thanks the fans unlike that Murray chap at Brighton" (by the optimists). Opinions are pretty evenly divided. There was a rumour that he put in a transfer request but Tisdale denied it and it seems that he didn't. Exeter fans say that their team is built around Harley who they rate as possibly good enough for the Championship but without the vision to make it to the very top (plus age isn't entirely on his side)

FWIW I reckon he will be here before the end of the month as competition for Sparrow and for Bennett - we are building a very good squad

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'd be suprised if Harley didn't want to come. I suspect we could significantly increase his wages, he'd move to a top of the table side, moving into a new stadium. Someone on their forum said a 100k bid was insulting but I think they need to be a bit more realistic. He will leave them for nothing in the summer as Exeter wont be able to compete with other sides wage offers. They know this and they'll leave it till the last minute of the window in the hope that other sides come in for him or we improve our bid. So long as no one else comes in for him I suspect he will be our player come the end of the month.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd be suprised if Harley didn't want to come. I suspect we could significantly increase his wages, he'd move to a top of the table side, moving into a new stadium. Someone on their forum said a 100k bid was insulting but I think they need to be a bit more realistic. He will leave them for nothing in the summer as Exeter wont be able to compete with other sides wage offers. They know this and they'll leave it till the last minute of the window in the hope that other sides come in for him or we improve our bid. So long as no one else comes in for him I suspect he will be our player come the end of the month.

We got £250k (??) for Hammond under the same circumstances. Hammond was younger and had played in the Championship. I'd imagine £150k tops would be about right.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
overall he is better than most.

harley reportedly had flu (seems genuine) last week so only played as a sub at the weekend.

applauded the crowd as he came off and this is being interpreted as either "he is going" (by the pessimists) or "he always thanks the fans unlike that Murray chap at Brighton" (by the optimists). Opinions are pretty evenly divided. There was a rumour that he put in a transfer request but Tisdale denied it and it seems that he didn't. Exeter fans say that their team is built around Harley who they rate as possibly good enough for the Championship but without the vision to make it to the very top (plus age isn't entirely on his side)

FWIW I reckon he will be here before the end of the month as competition for Sparrow and for Bennett - we are building a very good squad

Actually, he's not always right. His inside sources usually only tell us what we already know so if he's right he can say "I'm always right" and if he's wrong, ,his inside source reveals the contract talks broke down".

Love it if we signed him though. Gives us something different again!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Indeed. People say we never really replaced Hammond but from what I've seen of Harley he could offer a pretty good imitation but with more skill on the ball

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Indeed. People say we never really replaced Hammond but from what I've seen of Harley he could offer a pretty good imitation but with more skill on the ball
from what i have seen and i have seen him a few times he is nothing like hammond !! far more attacking and creative

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why are people talking about replacing Hammond? :lolol:

Are we not happy with Sparrow, Kishishev, Dicker, Bridcutt, Navarro and Bennett? Are they not all individually better than Hammond?!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Are we not happy with Sparrow, Kishishev, Dicker, Bridcutt, Navarro and Bennett? Are they not all individually better than Hammond?!

I think Hammonds name just cropped up because hans was speculating about the kind of fee we could expect to pay. Harley's nothing like Hammond. Certainly happy with what we have now but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look to the future and improve the side even further.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I think Kish has pretty much said this is his last season, Bridcutt only has a deal until the end of the season and who knows how Navarro will return ?
We need him in my opinion.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D

EVEN when he is left out of the side, midfielder Ryan Harley still manages to be centre of attention at St James's Park.

"After a week of intense speculation surrounding the playmaker's future, Exeter City fans would have arrived at the MK Dons game eager to have something else to concentrate on for a couple of hours.

But that notion went out of the window as soon as the home team was announced – Harley, the subject of two bids from npower League One rivals Brighton & Hove Albion in recent weeks, was on the bench.

Manager Paul Tisdale insisted after the match that his talisman's relegation to sit among the substitutes was more down to the 25-year-old's recent illness than his frame of mind.

Yet the action could not help but add weight to the notion that the Grecians are preparing for life without Harley.

For their part, the City supporters did their best to convince the former Weston-super-Mare man that he should remain where he is for the time being.

Harley's introduction with 20 minutes left brought huge cheers from all corners of the ground, while his every touch was greeted by shouts of encouragement.

For once the ex-Bristol City trainee failed to give the home support the kind of happy ending they are used to, as he fired a close-range free-kick tamely into the wall with just seconds of the game left.

But the majority of the 4,544 inside the Park were not about to let small details stop them from giving Harley a rousing ovation at the final whistle. The midfield schemer clapped the crowd in reply and gave a quick wave as he disappeared down the tunnel. Was that farewell?
"

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

..& he isn't a bandy-legged Bar-steward either.* :thumbsup:

*(At least I don't think he is)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here