Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus - Murray, Hoskins and Buckley ?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I seem to remember that Sparrow was exactly described as this when he signed..!

he looked it at the start of the season, particularly against swindon in the 4-5-1 formation. navarro's injury, coupled with murrays return and the change in formation meant we never got the chance to see him in that role again

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Has it not occurred to anybody that Gus may be wishing to play football through the midfield and channels etc but may only possibly may be looking at an older experienced target man type striker as back up and as a plan b, to bring on if neded. Somebody like, and I am not suggesting it would be him, Dele Adebola. Off the top of my head I cant think of any premiership/ championship players getting too old but could do a job for a season before retiring, not Kevin Phillips.

If he lost weight and put his mind to the job and the wages were acceptable what about Benni McCarthy

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Benni McCarthy who couldn't even 'put his mind to' and lose weight to play in his OWN country's historic, ground-breaking world cup?

Im sure he would SHED the pounds to play in the Championship

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I seem to remember that Sparrow was exactly described as this when he signed..!

Indeed but I would like to see someone with a little more physical presence as first choice going in to the Championship
(an Arismende-type player is exactly what I think we need although I don't think we would look to him as he had a less than inspiring year with Barnsley apparently)

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
You might think that but Gus won't play it that way, he has his style of play and he wants to succeed his way

I agree. I'm not saying he'll bring in lumps - no chance and thank God! Just that we'll be looking for skill and experience but also a certain amount of physical presence as well. It's a tough combo to find but with a decent budget the players are there, and playing within the Poyet system they'd flourish.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Indeed but I would like to see someone with a little more physical presence as first choice going in to the Championship

I agree.

I also have a weird feeling Sparrow will play a much larger role next year! Don't ask me why! But he can grab goals that boy and I think if he's given a chance he'll fight to keep it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I would be suprised if we get Buckley as I'm not sure we'll be able to afford him. It's worrying for me, could well suggest we're anticipating a bid for Bennett, I wonder if we told him, stay till the end of the season and we'll let you go in the summer kinda thing. I guess time will tell.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I would be suprised if we get Buckley as I'm not sure we'll be able to afford him. It's worrying for me, could well suggest we're anticipating a bid for Bennett, I wonder if we told him, stay till the end of the season and we'll let you go in the summer kinda thing. I guess time will tell.

Plenty of rumours at Norwich suggesting this is exactly the case.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Benni McCarthy who couldn't even 'put his mind to' and lose weight to play in his OWN country's historic, ground-breaking world cup?

Im sure he would SHED the pounds to play in the Championship

Possibly see it as his last chance and take it. Who else fits the bill of an experienced big striker near retiring for 1 season as a plan b if all football fails.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

If that was the case, I doubt Bennett would have come out in various interviews and said how much he's looking forward to playing for Brighton next year in the Amex. That's not saying he won't go, but I doubt anything's been agreed yet.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Firstly, Murray going will be a big blow. I can understand the financial incentive of leaving but am very surprised he didn't take geographical and footballing reasons into account. Would have been less bothered had he joined a top-half team not based in the South, for example. Despite this, he was absolutely magnificent for us last season and was a big factor in us winning the Championship, so he goes with my best wishes.

Secondly, I quite like the idea of signing Hoskins and Buckley. Hoskins displayed a lot of ability in the game up in Bristol earlier this year and looks a proper footballer. Tales of him losing motivation/having a bit of an attitude problem probably say more about the club he has been at than Hoskins personally IMO. Buckley has featured prominently in a decent young Watford team this season and seems to be highly-rated. Again he looked a very able player against us, despite not having had the best of games. He would certainly be a step-up in quality from what we currently have.

If Bennett and Murray leave then we will have a real job on our hands this summer. However, people need to stop panicking. We are now a proper football club which is run brilliantly and has a big fanbase. BHAFC is bigger than Glenn Murray and Elliott Bennett. We are not quite at the stage where we can do much to stop players leaving to pursue careers elsewhere (whatever your opinion on the moves they make.) What the club can control, however, is that we have an incredible manager who WILL sort us out. Even if he went I would trust Tony to bring in another gem to continue the upward progression.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Actually I think that most fans are pretty pragmatic about losing players like Murray and like Bennett and are equally confident in the club management's ability to source quality replacements and improve the side.

I think that what clouds the issue a little is whether to read the signs from Gus' comments as meaning we will entirely abandon the traditional target man approach to forward play or whether we will retain it as an option.

I am actually more concerned with the defensive unit tbh

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Apart from Murray who looks to have gone we have the same key squad members that walked away with the league 1 title. I think if we were to stand still we would be good enough to at least stay up. We obviously need to replace Murray but provided we do that we aren't any worse off than we are now.
Both Buckley and Hoskins are good additions, the real question is with Murray gone and these two in have we strengthened or just stood still? I am encouraged to see we are so active in the transfer market this early on. I predict 5 or 6 new players and come August we will be stronger than we are now.
Things look good from here!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If that was the case, I doubt Bennett would have come out in various interviews and said how much he's looking forward to playing for Brighton next year in the Amex. That's not saying he won't go, but I doubt anything's been agreed yet.

True, although it may be that Elliott doesn't know if they're coming back for him or not. It could just have been if they come back, rather than it being known that they will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here