Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus letters

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Another PRAT here who is jumping on the Nimby band wagon.

Taken from Argus letters pages:

Letter: Beauty v a beast
The debate as to whether the legal challenge by Lewes Council about whether the Albion stadium should go ahead or not is of little consequence in the argument.

The councillors believe they are doing the right thing, as do the pro- Falmer supporters, who have as much right as all of us to have an opinion.

However, quoting surveys and polls of different groups of people who are for or against the stadium carries no weight in my eyes. Votes for one thing or another in a democracy should ensure the majority rules but as we all should know, that is just not the case.

Even the government of this country rules by a minority of voters. It is a fact more people in total voted for the other parties but because of the first-past-the-post system, we have a Labour government with a large majority in the House of Commons - hardly a good example of democracy at work.

If the pro-stadium people are confident the challenge will fail, why not let it run its course and then the decision will be sealed once and for all?

However I think they know it is not as clear cut as they are trying to portray and that there is a chance the challenge will succeed because of the way it has been approved under pressure by some MPs and against the advice of the planning inspectors who looked at the bid twice.

Like a lot of others, I think the stadium should not be at Falmer. It is a far too rural and pretty place to have such a monstrosity - and all the other bad things the stadium will bring - foisted upon it for no good reason.

Areas such as Falmer should not have to be used to bail out failed businesses, because that is all Brighton and Albion is, a failing business.

I have seen many small shops and businesses fail because of lack of funds. But the council and others do not come running to the rescue with millions when perhaps just a breather from council tax for a few months would ensure survival. No, they are just left to the wolves.

The Albion have made their bed so they should be left to lie in it.

-John Plowman, Woodingdean

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He lives in Woodingdean. If we didn't build on the downs then he would have been homeless.

There is a huge difference between Brighton and Hove Albion and a shop. When will people get their minds round that!! BHA brings benefits to the whole community, does a shoe shop?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Who cares what these people think?

They obviously havent got anything better to do!

let them voice their opinions, there will only be 1 winner and it wont be LDC!

Falmer 4 all!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Does John Plowman of Woodingdean exist ?
I doubt it.
If he does I expect his house is a monstrosity that should be torched so that the land can be allowed to return to its natural downland state.
Whilst Piers Plowman is at it, lets close down both universities for being failed businesses, dependent on public subsidy, and plow up the whole "rural" Falmer area.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BarrelofFun said:
BHA brings benefits to the whole community, does a shoe shop?

Yes. It ensures that we aren't all walking around like extras from Oliver Twist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here