Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you the type of driver that HAVE to drive right up the arse of the car in front?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I find most new drivers, those who have had their licence less than 2 years, tend to drive way to close to the car in front. They are not even aware that they are tailgating. A gentle shunt with them being responsible is the best cure it seems. Big shock and a loss of No Claims discount seems to work most of the time.

Tailgating is also the preserve of Zafira drivers, who I believe are mostly frustrated psychos with small children but drive like they think they are trainee Formula 1 drivers.

Last edited:

Would you prefer that they drove at 25mph. through the villages?

Yes. That is in fact the sensible thing to do. Bearing in mind the high percentage of accidents on country roads (that turn into village high-streets, and may have horse-riders or stray animals around any bend), you have to realise that country roads are the least predictable place to drive, and the least prepared for high speed (potholes, rubble/hay/mud dropped from tractors, cyclists, hikers, hidden bends and hills that obscure forward views....etc).

Plus, larger vans and trucks also use the leafy lanes, which are often not wide enough for 2 cars!

I find most new drivers, those who have had their licence less than 2 years, tend to drive way to close to the car in front. They are not even aware that they are tailgating. A gentle shunt with them being responsible is the best cure it seems. Big shock and a loss of No Claims discount seems to work most of the time.

Tailgating is also the preserve of Zafira drivers, who I believe are mostly frustrated psychos with small children but drive like they think they are trainee Formula 1 drivers.

You are not suggesting they should get into collisions before they learn lessons??

I have had boy-racers hugging my bumper, but where they are pushing and will even try and race anyone that speeds up, they usually get the picture when I slow down to make their distance a safe one. So, the closer they get, the slower I get.
Give them time to actually think about what they are doing, instead of raising their testosterone and lowering your and their reaction time.
Recommended :thumbsup:

alan917

Aug 5, 2005
Next time you get someone up are ass pull your handbrake, let them go into the back of you.

Or if your driving during the day turn your lights on, the sudden appearance of red lights at the back of your car seems like your braking when your not

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
While we're on the subject, wankers that drive down 60mph country roads at 40mph thinking you're being safe then continue at 40mph through the 30mph villages really f*** me off.

Spot on! Same for those who burble along at fifty on a perfectly good road, and keep up the fifty through the villages. Bloody annoying - there may be a chance to overtake on the way out of the village, but of course, you're a couple of hundred yards behind by then.................

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Thanks neil for bringingnup my driving pet hate. It happens almost everytime I drive from my parents in uckfield to Brighton. The road
From ucfield to lewes is perfect for at least 60, probably 70... But it's 40 all the way, then you get to lewes and they continue at 40 and you lose them completely. Don't they realise 30mph limits are there to stop you killing pedestrians? Wankers!

I drive on that road most days and the ones that annoy me are the ones that travel about 30mph between Uckfield and Lewes, braking at every bend in the road or if a car comes along in the other direction. (especially at night but not always) BUT then speed up when they get into town where the speed limit is 30!!

Why do they think it is safer to drive at speed in a built up area where there are more hazards and risks, but are unprepared to drive a little faster (the same speed that they drive through the town at) on a road that has a higher speed limit than 30

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Thanks neil for bringingnup my driving pet hate. It happens almost everytime I drive from my parents in uckfield to Brighton. The road
From ucfield to lewes is perfect for at least 60, probably 70... But it's 40 all the way, then you get to lewes and they continue at 40 and you lose them completely. Don't they realise 30mph limits are there to stop you killing pedestrians? Wankers!

Do you know the speed limit on a single carriageway road by any chance?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Do you know the speed limit on a single carriageway road by any chance?

Yes, it's 60 mph, why do you ask? I was just saying it's a hell of a lot safer to do 70 on the open, straight stretches of the A26 than it is to do 40 through lewes. Didn't say that I did it though (!)

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I really want to do a thread about people's first experience of doing a ton, as in where/when, but could be a bit dodgy that one :lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...not if it was on the autobahn in Germany!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I really want to do a thread about people's first experience of doing a ton, as in where/when, but could be a bit dodgy that one :lolol:

120 odd in a hired VW 2.0l TDI on an Austrian Autobahn

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
Turn up Joan of Arc(Maid of Orleans) by OMD, indicate inside to let them past, keep smiling through whole process and try not to whirl arms in tune to the song. Best advice. :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You are not suggesting they should get into collisions before they learn lessons??

/QUOTE]

Little ones, yeah. Best way to learn to hang back

Jan 30, 2008
what about the pricks that come flying up behind you and then flash you up to get out of THEIR way,f***ing aggressive impatient tossers!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here