Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you entitled to a decent meal for a FIVER ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lunchtime special offer at Los Amigos in Hove, on weekdays two can dine for a fiver each, and choose a starter and main from the menu. So the missus went with her sister and had the nachos for starter and a chicken wrap for her main.

The nachos amounted to a few cold plain Dorito-type crisps with a salsa dip - no toppings, nothing. The chicken wrap contained 4 small pieces of chicken in the wrap, along with some green gunk (possibly guacamole), and thats it.

That sounds pretty PISS POOR to me, but then again, what do you really expect for a fiver ? On the other hand though, if Los Amigos are looking to lure in lunchtime punters during the week for a cheap meal, surely they still have an obligation to make it decent at least ? Or does the price go some way to EXCUSING their paltry offering ?

I lay it before the wisened and grizzled sages of NSC.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Easy. That is Brighton for you ! And i know. Up 'north' and as you know plenty of pubs etc will do you a good deal. Just don't go for the easy option. :clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was in the Setting Sun the other week in Hanover. In the Setting Sun they have weekday specials (or so they called them) that you can order before 7pm at two mains for a tenner. These specials also appear on the main menu priced about 3 quid higher a meal.

Imagine my surprise when our meals turned up and they were just smaller versions of the meals you get when you order off the main menu. I haven't been back since due to the bare faced cheek of it all.

I mean really.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The full buffet at Pizza Hut is £5.95 a head weekday lunchtimes. Salad for starters and pizza for main.

D

Deleted User X18H

Los Amigos is in Hove !!!! they probably were expecting you to buy a bottle of wine and some extra sides, it seems to be a loss leader without much loss!!!!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I went to Strada tonight. f*** me that place has gone down hill. Shite service, shite food.

city boy lee

Sep 25, 2008
In Oz that fiver is worth about $12 and no way in hell would you get 2 courses for that. A decent Nachos or a good burger/chips type meal yeah, but not 2 courses. Personally I'd take 1 good course over 2 shit ones anyway.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'm inclined to think that the onus is on the eatery to ensure that lunch for a fiver is actually worth eating! If that's impossible on the grounds of cost then don't make the offer in the first place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm inclined to think that the onus is on the eatery to ensure that lunch for a fiver is actually worth eating! If that's impossible on the grounds of cost then don't make the offer in the first place.

That sounds about right as the bad publicity gained bya poor meal will do more damage than the promotion gains in the first place.

The Spirit group of pubs and others do a BOGOF which means a steak or Gammon at £9.95 is less than a fiver each . The Sussex Yeoman in Palatine Road/ Littlehampton Road Worthing is one of that group.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The thai place opposite the Hop Poles does two very decent course for 4.95 at a lunchtime

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The is a pub in Ninfield, just north of Bexhill, which is doing an all day calvery for £3.50 a person (£6.50 on a Sunday), we went up there last week and the food was fantastic, three choices of meat, as many yorkshire puds as you wanted and load of veg choice. Best deal ever a real credit crunch buster.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
There are 2 pubs not far from where i live that are doing 2 main meals for £6.00 !! I have not eaten in them as yet, but allot of people we know have and are saying the food is great value, apparently it is all typical pub grub stuff, but there is also quite a decent choice on the menu.

Pubs are getting desperate for business though, throughout the country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have used the Argus offers a few times and it really depends on the establishment. From my experience somehow find out if the restaurant is good...regardless of this deal. If it is a good restaurant they will then fall into 2 categories: 1) Business knows it is good and is genuinely looking to extend its customer base....you will be well looked after and get a decent experience and be treated like a regular customer or sadly 2) Restaurant sees a way of making some money out of the deal and knocks out cheap food and will probably stick you in a corner somewhere.

My positive experiences have been Oblong and Riddle and Finns. A friend also went to Seven Dials and got an amazing experience....had a drink with the owner who explained what he was trying to with his food and business and came away a happy person.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I have used the Argus offers a few times and it really depends on the establishment. From my experience somehow find out if the restaurant is good...regardless of this deal. If it is a good restaurant they will then fall into 2 categories: 1) Business knows it is good and is genuinely looking to extend its customer base....you will be well looked after and get a decent experience and be treated like a regular customer or sadly 2) Restaurant sees a way of making some money out of the deal and knocks out cheap food and will probably stick you in a corner somewhere.

My positive experiences have been Oblong and Riddle and Finns. A friend also went to Seven Dials and got an amazing experience....had a drink with the owner who explained what he was trying to with his food and business and came away a happy person.

thats good shit that is. I agree with the 7dials the food is very decent indeed
I also like your missing x and z posts on ask the club and when they get the full alphabet you must thank them lol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
thats good shit that is. I agree with the 7dials the food is very decent indeed
I also like your missing x and z posts on ask the club and when they get the full alphabet you must thank them lol

He he thanks, the A-Z is a bit tongue in cheek but they will get my gratitude when there is a full alphabet. The existing letters are sooooooo tenuous they must be able to find something for z......surely one of the players has been to the zoo as a child or something?

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Me and the missus regularly eat at the Pub and Carvery (ex-Toby) on the coast road at Peacehaven. £3.50 in the day and £4.50 evenings. Usual deal - 3 meats and as much veg as you can eat. Very pleasant atmosphere and usually well frequented. You can tell the regulars, though - there's always a good smattering of portly-looking couples there! ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here