Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you Catholic? Do you give a damn that the Pope is coming?

Are you Catholic and do you care about the Papacy visit?

• Catholic and yes I do care

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • Catholic and no I don't

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Non-Catholic and I do

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • Non-Catholic and couldn't give a shit!

Votes: 111 70.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I am Catholic but can see that the majority of people won't see the point of this visit - but there is still a large percentage that will.

Yes I do agree that a majority of the Catholic society will understand its relative importance to the Pope's visit, but how much does the passionate Catholic/Christian society hold within Great Britain?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The Vatican does not meet the UN requirements for a real state (which is not a suprise as it's statehood was invented in deal between the Roman Church and Italian fascism) and only has observer status at the UN.

As much as it must be way too tempting to mention the word fascism for some of you, I am sure thats not true. Without looking it up (so I could be wrong and am open to correction), was the Vatican State not preserved as part of the terms of Italian invasion of Rome in 1870??

And it IS a state - quite simply it possesses sovereignty to conduct its own international affairs (yes I was an international law student) - and at least the Pope is ELECTED (albeit by a select commity), as opposed to appointed by God through birth.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
You say most people. But its not. Not in Britian anyway. Not even in Austrialia or Canada.

Don't state opinion as fact.

Do you believe that the Queen was appointed as your ruler by God?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Yes I do agree that a majority of the Catholic society will understand its relative importance to the Pope's visit, but how much does the passionate Catholic/Christian society hold within Great Britain?

Probably not, and I actually don't think that in an ideal world the British taxpayer should be paying the bill for it, the Catholics should.

But:

1. People who deserve it no more such as the Queen (no power or legitimate claim to it) and heads of states that deny human rights get state visits all the time

2. There is a policing cost for all sorts of members of society who choose to hold congregations

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Do you believe that the Queen was appointed as your ruler by God?

I miss-read your point. I thought you said most people thought a monarchy was a ridiculas institution, which you didn't. You ment the idea a 'God' put a monarch in place was ridiculas.

Sorry.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
As much as it must be way too tempting to mention the word fascism for some of you, I am sure thats not true. Without looking it up (so I could be wrong and am open to correction), was the Vatican State not preserved as part of the terms of Italian invasion of Rome in 1870??

And it IS a state - quite simply it possesses sovereignty to conduct its own international affairs (yes I was an international law student) - and at least the Pope is ELECTED (albeit by a select commity), as opposed to appointed by God through birth.

Some of the Fascist leanings of the Church are well documented

Pope Pious (or was it "innocent") refusing to condemn the persecution of the Jews by the Nazis?

The many hundreds of SS war criminals helped out of Europe by sympathetic Catholic priests after the war?

The well documented Hitler Youth membership of Benedict?...everyone had to join...MY ARSE

They may as well have a f***ing great swastika hanging on the Vatican IMO.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Excellent stereotyping, well done. :clap2:

I wasn't aiming that at the original poster, but as it was a debate about the relevance of the state visit, thought I'd add a different perspective that I don't think has been mentioned yet!

But no, seriously, I am an irrational religious nutter, and bow down to your intellectual superiority! :thumbsup:

Prove to me your superior intelligence by explaining who's right about this religion thing that from your response you are very passionate about- the Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Buddhists, Muslims or Hindus as they have all, over the centuries and right up to now, wreaked misery on their own (topical!) and others in the name of their religions.

Jeddi gets my vote!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Prove to me your superior intelligence by explaining who's right about this religion thing that from your response you are very passionate about- the Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Buddhists, Muslims or Hindus as they have all, over the centuries and right up to now, wreaked misery on their own (topical!) and others in the name of their religions.

Jeddi gets my vote!

What persecutions involved the Buddhists?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I miss-read your point. I thought you said most people thought a monarchy was a ridiculas institution, which you didn't. You ment the idea a 'God' put a monarch in place was ridiculas.

Sorry.

If a monarch wasn't given authority by God, then they were given the position of ruling over you by PURE CHANCE OF BIRTH. That makes sense, doesn't it?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
If a monarch wasn't given authority by God, then they were given the position of ruling over you by PURE CHANCE OF BIRTH. That makes sense, doesn't it?

No, no it doesnt make sense.

They can f*** off as well.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Jeddi gets my vote!

I have no perception of superior intelligence whatsoever. Whilst I believe in my faith, I 100% recognise that there is no proof, and that every person is entitled to argue their own beliefs (or lack of) to the same extent. And I have no right to suggest I know better.

You, however, have decided to pidgeonhole me because I have a faith, despite me only offering a completely political and human argument.

And for the record, I personally believe fully (as does contemporary Catholic taeching) that there is no such thing as a "wrong" religion, as followed properly they are all paths to the same destination.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
History is in the making seeing as the Pope himself shall make a state visit to the United Kingdom, the first time ever since we disassociated ourselves with the Catholic Church during Henry VIII's reign.

I thought the last pope came here in the 80's

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No, no it doesnt make sense.

They can f*** off as well.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Fair play, but a lot of the moaners on here would not think the same about a state visit somewhere by the Queen!

My point was, you have every right to think that the Pope's power is no more logical than that of the Queen, but you can't deny that as a political force he is a much larger one than she is...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here