Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

are you a binge drinker ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lammy said:
To brew beer yourself from the raw ingedients (including gas and electric) it costs about £6 to make 9 gallons (72 pints). That's just over 8p a pint. Now imagine how cheap it is to make it on a large scale!!!

At most I's say it costs about 4p a pint to make. We pay on average over £2 a pint. You do the maths.

You're not taking into account the costs of transportation, marketing and advertising, bar staff and, the real killer, property.

Tax plays a part, but the real difference between us and the continent is the much higher rents over here.

The costs of the raw materials are a very small part of the cost of your pint.

Gwylan said:
You're not taking into account the costs of transportation, marketing and advertising, bar staff and, the real killer, property.

Tax plays a part, but the real difference between us and the continent is the much higher rents over here.

The costs of the raw materials are a very small part of the cost of your pint.

That's true but you're not taking into account the profits made on other products that pubs sell. I know when I worked in that trade that it was almost 300% profit on draught coke and lemonade. The profit that is available on everything else that pubs sell, excluding beer would more than make up for the costs that you are talking about.

The fact remains that we do pay far more than most of the rest of Europe and the main reason for that is tax.

However, I think the real reason for the problems that the Government are now apparantly concerned about is the ridiculous licensing hours that this country has. The problem is that so many people are in the mindset of seeing it's near to 11, feeling their not pissed enough and so throwing back as much as they possibly can in the small amount of time that they have left. Combine this with all the pubs unloading all these pissed people into the street together at the same time and it's hardly surprising there's trouble.

If the licensing laws were relaxed people would be able to go out and drink at a relaxed pace, leave the pub when they felt like it and not when everyone else was. It would take a month or so for people to adjust but it would work. Not all pubs would have to open late if they didn't want to, but the option would at least make a difference.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I have been in from work for an hour and had 3 whiskies ..... am I a binge drinker?

Maybe I should report later!!!!!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The trouble is that is noones estimation can over 2 pints be regarded as " unsensible drinking ".

As for 4 pints being qualified as " binge drinking " that is absurd. If I meet my friends I can drink 5 pints over 4 hours which is slowdrinking, I am not pissed , yet I have binge drunk.

I have always maintained that if you like a drink and have any sort of a social life to keep within the " recommended safe drinking level " of 21 units in a week is nigh on impossible.

I have 3 non drinking days and yet still struggle to keep within 30 units a week.

I rarely drink before 6pm and have yet to be seen on a park bech at 11am drinking a can of tennants super yet I am supposidly drinking over the safe limits.

With Cheltenham this week I will struggle to keep within 21 units per day let alone 21 units for the week.

I had better call AA now !.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
f*** yeah, I like getting hammered and taking COKE and PILLS too, it makes me forget about the mundane awfulness that is real life and gives you well good HANGOVERS.
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Christ 4 pints is a binge drinker,well thats a luch time drink for many.
They say the weekend starts on wednesdays to mmmm:ohmy:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
no , i only have a couple to be sociable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here