Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we too defensive?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Can't help but think we're playing far too defensively at the moment. There were a number of times when we broke on Saturday and yet had very few, if any, bodies in the box. How many times did the full-backs get forward to support the front - midfield players? Not nearly often enough. Maybe if Mayo lost some weight, he'd be more inclined to make a few runs? For a professional footballer, his weight is unacceptable. I digress. Back to the main point: Wilkins was rightly unhappy with our atttacking play but if we're going to score any goals ( without strength up front) then we've got to get some men forward.
And why on earth don't we leave at least one player up when we're defending? We were playing Rotherham at HOME for Christ sake yet we had all 11 men behind the ball with no chance of turning defence into attack. We've got to leave Jake Robinson up there surely? Lastly, where was the urgency amongst the players to actually win the game? It seemed all the fans around me ( South, F block) knew this was a really important game for us to win yet the players didn't really seem up for it. At the moment, we're sleep walking to relegation which with this group of players would be a disgrace.

Wake up lads.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
BensGrandad said:
I think that we have adopted the Brian Clough philosophy if you dont conceed you dont lose and some body might nick one for you to bring a win.
For that we have to have players who can score a goal !

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sneaky George said:
For that we have to have players who can score a goal !

Yes thats fair enough and if Robinson had bagged that one on one then it may have been different.

However BG is right. I feel that in football you need to concentrate on the defence first. Certainly that was the rock that made George Grahams Arsenal successful.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think we lack penetration. How many times were we in behind Rotherham, once? When we were scoring a lot of goals we generally had Whing and Rents at full back who would get forward and support, Hammond doesn't seem to be getting forward as much either.
It doesn't help that Cox and Robinson have lost form and of course we're missing Revell - our four main scorers.

I appreciate that the defence needed to improve, and it has, but that has been more by cutting out individual errors than playing ultra defensively.

Last edited:

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
We always seem to struggle to break teams down at Home, Rotherham & Port Vale came for a point and got one (Millwall did the same but got 3 cos of the error!) I think the team is lacking confidence and everyone is scared of pushing forward and making a mistake.

I agree about Robinson, he is our fastest player so he should stay up when the opposition have a corner.

The reason our form is better away from Home is because we are best hitting teams on the break.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Hadlee said:
We always seem to struggle to break teams down at Home, Rotherham & Port Vale came for a point and got one (Millwall did the same but got 3 cos of the error!) I think the team is lacking confidence and everyone is scared of pushing forward and making a mistake.

I agree about Robinson, he is our fastest player so he should stay up when the opposition have a corner.

The reason our form is better away from Home is because we are best hitting teams on the break.

still going Saturday?

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Of course, got to be 4-0 defeat again ! still at least we'll have a few :drink: :drink: :drink:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely right. We HAVE to leave at least one player up when we're defending set pieces. Robinson is the obvious choice.

Eleven men defending at home is unacceptable. Even away from home I don't like it.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Put jake in the reserves for a few games. Easier and less pressure so he might get some confidence back and work harder to get in the team.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
goldstone said:
Absolutely right. We HAVE to leave at least one player up when we're defending set pieces. Robinson is the obvious choice.

Agree we need to leave someone up, but not sure Robinson is "the obvious choice". A punt out from defence to him would be easily picked off by a lumbering giant of a central defender. I'd prefer to see someone like Savage left up front, who may be better to hold off a defender, hold the ball up and play in an on running Jake or Coxy.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
pasty said:
Agree we need to leave someone up, but not sure Robinson is "the obvious choice". A punt out from defence to him would be easily picked off by a lumbering giant of a central defender. I'd prefer to see someone like Savage left up front, who may be better to hold off a defender, hold the ball up and play in an on running Jake or Coxy.
I can see the sense of having a big man back when we're defending and leaving Jake or Coxy up front. Let's be honest Jake offers little in the way of tackling back or defensive play in general but is quick which is obviously useful if we're playing a counnter-attacking game. But its the way we're packing all 11 men behind the ball that is so depressing.

C.Gull

Jan 29, 2007
There is some agreement that to regain their form Robinson & Cox should have a few games in the reserves,Right thats the easy bit but who is not only going to replace them,but score the goals we despartly need.
I cant think of anyone presently on the books,can you!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Sneaky George said:
Can't help but think we're playing far too defensively at the moment.

Yep

4 5 1 in the second half to the bottom of the league.

Robinson 50 yards away from Savage

Elder not even on the bench.

No winger to supply crosses.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
agree with the above......

and somebody tell O'Carroll that he's allowed to cross the half way line, especially when we have four defenders marking one player in the last five minutes when we are on the attack at home against the bottom club. What a sentence!

.........and why do we take so long to take free kicks, throw ins, etc. We seem to wait for the opposing defence to get organised before taking it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
timbha said:

.........and why do we take so long to take free kicks, throw ins, etc. We seem to wait for the opposing defence to get organised before taking it.

Why does Cox and another player go and stand by the ball for a free kick when you know Cox is going to take it and put it over the bar.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
timbha said:
agree with the above......

and somebody tell O'Carroll that he's allowed to cross the half way line, especially when we have four defenders marking one player in the last five minutes when we are on the attack at home against the bottom club. What a sentence!

Never did it under MM , lost sount of the times last year when Brighton were a goal behind and all 4 defenders were marking 1 striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here