Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we set for a housing market 'correction'?

Is the housing market going to degenerate in 2008?

• Yes, yes it is.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No. Certainly not.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Remain as steady as a well built fence.

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
In his 1997 budget speech Gordon Brown said, "I will not allow house prices to get out of control". Ten years on and they have spiralled leaving thousands of people unable get onto the first rung of the property ladder. With mortgage lending set to be even stricter and thousands facing problems with fixed mortgages coming to an end this year, are we set for a market correction?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
IMO, prices might dip slightly, but only in line with the economy at large.

And until a government has the bollocks to tax buy-to-let properties, that's the way it's going to stay. I feel sorry for people in their early 20s these days - they haven't got a hope a buying a place as things stand. :nono:

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Do ya know this arguement of not getting on the ladder really gets to me. It was tough when I had too, and I am sure it was for everyone else too. Stop bleating about it, either rent or go and get a better job so you can afford it. Its life I am afraid.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Do ya know this arguement of not getting on the ladder really gets to me. It was tough when I had too, and I am sure it was for everyone else too. Stop bleating about it, either rent or go and get a better job so you can afford it. Its life I am afraid.

Piss of Rambo! When you bought a house was a 3 bed semi 7 or 8 times the average salary? Quite clearly unless you have bought your first house in the past decade it would not have been! :rolleyes:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think there is too much demand for there to be a proper crash. I am praying that I'm wrong being a 23 year old hoping to one day get my foot on the housing ladder. I'm on a reasonable salary but the most I can afford at the moment is a small shed in Burgess Hill

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006

You are conveniently forgetting key workers, who are not entitled or will never be able to muster up enough savings to be able to afford a property. There are bound to be knock on effects in the future, if there is a whole generation that are struggling, with populations set to increase we could be heading for a huge shortfall in pension funding and a major crisis.

Not to mention the wealth gap created with buy-to-letters creaming off the market and facing minimal tax on huge profits.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

You are a moron who clearly has no basic understanding of how much property prices have risen and how much bad credit there is in the market.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Here are some reasons why the market will suffer a significant downwards correction:

1. Sub prime issues and difficulty in getting the absurd multipiers on mortgage funds.

2. 1.25 miliion people coming off cheap interest rates in 2008

3. Decline in investors for 'buy to let'

4. Increasing costs of fuel, heating etc.

5. Declining 'feel good factor'.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
A government making pledges and then ignoring them.

Itll never catch on you know. I put it down to Tory Sleaze.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Piss of Rambo! When you bought a house was a 3 bed semi 7 or 8 times the average salary? Quite clearly unless you have bought your first house in the past decade it would not have been! :rolleyes:

5 years ago mate, but i dont know what I am talking about so ignore me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here