Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we seeing the start of a spending spree OR...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
RS has evaluated the players who were out of contract with a view to them being part of a promotion chasing squad. Thats why he has brought down the axe on dead wood. He will replace them with players from his hit list who he considers to be up for it and bring a touch of quality with them.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I suspect a spending spree is on the cards... thanks to Mr Bloom

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
if the rumour about Murray is true as that can only possibly be for financial reasons and shows a lack of promotion ambition.

The rumour isn't true so stop whinging.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You would though wouldn't you. Do you think you should have something in your signature that makes your agenda more clear to those that don't know your back history? That would at least give them a context for your constant sniping.[/QUOTE

I was not sniping at anybody just making a realistic assessment. If we are wanting to achieve promotion we would rely on players like Murray so IF the rumour is true the only reason for him going has to be financial. The credit crunch has meant that people are going to think twice about buying a season ticket which will have serious financial repercussions upon us. Withdean is crippling us and we still have to put up with it for another season at least. I think that we will sit back and see how the season goes and if we are in a reasonable position for promotion at Christmas perhaps some money will be spent then.

Perhaps we are looking for quality rather than quantity of players but hopefully we will not use 41 players next season.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Sort of spending spree, can see some championship quality players coming in on frees (Ifill?) but on higher wages. Expect a smaller squad but better quality to get promoted and give us a chance in the championship, or that is the hope anyway!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well saying bye to many of the youth players and keeping some of the older and more costly players strongly suggests its about getting the right players in rather than cost cutting.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A handful of quality signings (Two battling it out for each position?). Keep the squad relatively small and then plug gaps when necessary with loans or the younger players. As opposed to starting with a big squad and then adding to it with loans. Makes much sense.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I think RS will have the funds available. As above said, he has a 2 yr deal. He already knows who he wants.

Lead on.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I see it as a tightening of the belt with serious financial problems especially if the rumour about Murray is true as that can only possibly be for financial reasons and shows a lack of promotion ambition.

How do you figure that one out then? Slade has allready said that he wants to bring the club up to championship standards and the club are backing him. For a start he's stated that Malcome Stuart will be replaced by 2 physio's, White & Booker will have re-defined roles within the club so it looks like new coaches will be coming in, All the players released are down the lower end of the wage scale and none of the top players have been placed on the transfer list. If anything it looks like the club want to push on and have us in the champoinship by the time we kick off at Falmer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We need a smaller, fitter squad made up of permanently-contracted players, not loan signings that are here just to get fit for their parent clubs.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Slade said we have a REASONABLE budget.By the sounds of it he had to have a good clear out first otherwise the budget is crap without him using that term.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Our squad was pretty big. We still have 17 contracted players with offers for another 4 so that's a reasonable size..

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Slade said we have a REASONABLE budget.By the sounds of it he had to have a good clear out first otherwise the budget is crap without him using that term.

To be fair its not as if he is going to say he has a big budget as this puts the club in a hard place when negotiating.

on entry to falmer it has to be as a championship club you dont spend 60million on a ground to see it being used for home games against Dagenham,Burton and grimsby. this board I think have finally decided that its the time now to get on with job and proivide the funds for a decent squad capable of success.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If you were cost cutting you would first and foremost get rid of people you deemed surplus to requirements, hence Loft etc being show the door.

I know what people are getting at saying we would have got rid of the top earners and kept Fraser et al but I wasn't meaning cost cutting on a HUGE scale.

I just don't think we will have a load of top players coming in.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Certainly I think we will be looking to enhance the squad with good quality signings. Cant see there being any other way. Falmer means everything now. I think the board realise that investment is required in order to get the fan base in to pay for Falmer.

Exciting times

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
this board I think have finally decided that its the time now to get on with job and proivide the funds for a decent squad capable of success.

Don't fans have an odd perspective on the world. What do you mean by "finally" in that context? Are you suggesting that they have been dragging their feet and it's about time these tightwads got the cash out?

If so, why the f*** should they and more to the point, why should you expect them to or be irritated that they haven't? These are private individuals who may be considering spending (I don't say investing) their own money to a football club. they do it in their own way, in their own time and to a level that they decide. No club and no fan has the right to expect the board to keep "subbing up" the club. And don't kid yourself that this is a "piss or get off the pot" issue - I don't see wealthy individuals queuing up to put money into Div 3 clubs these days.

If - as the tone of your comment suggests - you are pissed off that they haven't yet spent big, then in my view, you can do one. How deluded and one eyed are you? I suggest you read the comments by Dave Whelan in The Daily Telegraph today to get a balance perspective on club funding and finance. I for one am grateful to the board for funding our (relatively low) losses each year and am delighted that we have not borrowed heavily in order to buy a false position in the league. I firmly believe that their careful and generous approach has put us in a stronger position than very many clubs and I certainly am not arrogant and ignorant enough to be peeved that they have not spent their millions to buy players for the team I support.

(If you meant that they have judged the timing well and have kept their powder dry until the timing was just right - then here here!)

According to a source close to the club, Dick was so impressed by the the REMF 11 that he wants to sign the lot. He realises that they'd play for peanuts as they love the club, and given that we'd all give our right arm to play for the team we love all 11 will have their right arms removed and said limbs will be used as picket fencing around the Jimmy Melia memorial statue at Falmer.
Is this a sign of progress or has Dick finally shot his mental load ?

According to a source close to the club, Dick was so impressed by the the REMF 11 that he wants to sign the lot. He realises that they'd play for peanuts as they love the club, and given that we'd all give our right arm to play for the team we love all 11 will have their right arms removed and said limbs will be used as picket fencing around the Jimmy Melia memorial statue at Falmer.
Is this a sign of progress or has Dick finally shot his mental load ?

:ohmy:

Is this it?

What we have all been waiting for?

The TRUTH ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here