Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we mixing up confidence & faith with arrogance?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Our arrogance is just making up for all those years when we were in the shite. This arrogance isn't the same as that shown by some supporters of former "big" clubs although if it gets out of hand we'll all be suffering from "Super (insert club name) , Massive Club syndrome".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think claiming at any point you have a devine right to promotion is arrogant.

I think having confidence we will win the division is one thing, disrespecting our opponents and the division is where it veers into arrogance. The belief that the mighty brighton coming to a club makes it that clubs 'cup final' is arrogance. Even man utd don't seem to believe when they go to wolves that it will be wolves' cup final. It's another league game, it happens to be against the top team, who are having a very successful season, but it is still just another league game. The belief that we are pissing all over the other teams, the belief that each game is a guaranteed three points, the belief that we are somehow special and different to every other team in our division, is where it ventures into arrogance.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As Strings says - boasting about being best in the League and that you have a divine right to promotion in the Autumn is arrogant (Sheff Wed mayhap?). Suggesting that we're likely to get promoted at the begining of March when we have been top of the league for five months is more like justified confidence.

Personally, can't bring myself to say it because I'm a bit superstitious, but if we fail, there would have been a monumental and instantaneous change in form.
I don't suffer from the superstitious bit - I can say we're going up and it's all over bar the shouting without feeling I'm tempting fate in any way at all. But I agree, it's one thing saying before a ball's kicked that your team will 'walk' this division, or that you're 'too good' for it - it's quite another thing to say it when you're comfortably top and even your rivals admit they're fighting for second place. The first is stupid arrogance and the second is simply acknowledging the facts. And the facts are we ARE the best team in this division; we've seen what all the others have to offer and there is no club who you could say are 'better' than us.

Yes, we'll drop points between now and the end of the season - but not enough to stop us. I wish I had some of the doubts of some of the others ("we're Brighton, we're bound to find a way to screw it up") as that would at least make the rest of the season interesting.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I thought we would win it back in October after the Peterborough and Charlton games. That's not arrogance that is the evidence put in front of me by the team and years of watching the Albion and League One. Nothing that has happened since has made me change my mind. We could still miss out but it would take a fantastic run by another side and a incredible collapse by the Albion. Neither look very likely to me...

That is not arrogance that is looking at the league table...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The essential thing is Gus has his feet firmly on the ground, always urging caution.

With so many games to go to the end of the season and with such a hectic run in with the potential for injuries, suspensions and other sides fighting for survival, I one do not want to get carried away saying we are going to get automatic promotion!

I have faith in both the manager and the team as they go hand in hand, but there is to many if, buts and maybe's for my liking and experience tells me not to get over confident this far out from the end...

Post of the day. It's tempting fate to be overconfident so let's count our chickens at the end of April (or earlier if Gus the god so deems).

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Post of the day. It's tempting fate to be overconfident so let's count our chickens at the end of April (or earlier if Gus the god so deems).

That's my point ... It's not tempting fate, it's not being arrogant.

I AM confident we will win automatic promotion, I BELIEVE that my Son's U8 team will win on Sunday and I DO think that the recession is over. None of this is arrogance, it's opinion based on past performance and future likelihood. Arrogance would be me saying we're NOT going to lose again, we deserve to win the league and we're the best team in the country.

More than our league position I'm enjoying the football we are playing and the future is bright ... (honest we are allowed to enjoy the ride)

EDIT: Maybe No 3 is pushing the example a little too far!

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
OK, pissed now ...

Don't be scared back your team ...

We are doing well, celebrate that!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I can see why some people might come across as arrogant, but to be fair to us, it's just so bloody exciting.

Look what we've been through for 14 years. Look at the mad cap genius we have in charge of our football team. LOOK at that amazing stadium we've got sprouting up as we play in the shittiest ground in England. Just look at it all! :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm too scared to think that we might win this bloody thing. I was far more confident when we had Zamora and the challenging teams did not seem to have such large budgets and fantastic players in their ranks.

Compare our previous title charge of this league. Pound for pound, I reckon the teams around us are much stronger this year than our previous succesful challengers. It just doesn't feel right, expecting promotion with a third of the season remaining.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's not "expecting" as a given right, it's also fine to doubt, I just feel we have the key ingredients for promotion, a good team, good manager, a great spirit and a strong league position, who wouldn't swap with us?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The confidence grows week in week out as we keep winning and others don't however it can easily just disappear - look at other teams in our league.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Winnere tend to be a little arrogant and I think we can see that in the way the team are playing. Winning games in 60 mins and then just cruising with tippy tappy has to be seen as arrogant even if the reasons for doing it are clear. Some of this arrogance has rubbed off onto the fans. Well excuse me, but I'm not gonna apologise for thinking my team can beat anyone in this division after what I've seen so far this season. We have spent far too long with gallows humour and knocking ourselves as we stumbled along having the piss taken by the teams we are now taking the piss out of. It may all go pearshaped, I'll deal with it then but for now I'm happy we are bigging ourselves up, with the future we have lined up at the moment why not?

Do I care if other teams, especially "BIG" ones are irritated by us? Hell no :lolol:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's not arrogance, it's faith, knowledge and desire ... would you bet against us?

That 16-1 pre season is going to pay for celebrating promotion, champions and open top bus day ( along with the 10-1 with Crawley I have!! )

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Anyone else NOW getting on the CONFIDENCE (not arrogance) Promotion bus?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Having watched this team since 1969 I've seen good and bad times. However, although we've been higher up the league ladder in that time this season has given me the most pleasure. Why ? Well, apart from the fact that I have never known us dominate any division the way we are now we are getting praise from all over the place for just about everything about the club, on and off field.

That's not arrogance, that's just being proud of something with very good reason.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Having watched this team since 1969 I've seen good and bad times. However, although we've been higher up the league ladder in that time this season has given me the most pleasure. Why ? Well, apart from the fact that I have never known us dominate any division the way we are now we are getting praise from all over the place for just about everything about the club, on and off field.

That's not arrogance, that's just being proud of something with very good reason.

:thumbsup: Spot on bhaexpress, sums it up very nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here