Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we losing something?

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Why? I didn't start this thread, you wallow in your self pity me old mucker.

Was just trying to advance the discussion but it isn't easy on a forum like this.

And in answer to your earlier point, it's not about 'can't afford it', or 'not able to get tickets' - I'm just trying to explain how I feel a little differently about the club. I don't fully understand why if I'm honest.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm with bathseagull on this one. 'Loyalty' points = pah. I don't object to it in theory, just the idea that, because I can't afford to go to every game these days, that somehow makes me less 'loyal' than the next bloke. So, when Cr****a* P***** come around, I'm gutted I've zero chance of getting a ticket. It just isn't the same as The Goldstone. Still love The Albion of course, but wish I could be there when I want, not when the club allows me, that's all...

The major difference is that you can't just turn up on the day and pay on a turnstile to get in like you could at the Goldstone and i suppose it means that we miss out on fans who arn't sure what they will be doing on the day until the last minute but think its too late to get in so won't bother trying

I guess why demand is so high this won't change, but maybe when the ground has been expanded and / or if we drop down the leagues again and fewer people want to go regularly then they might change it to pay on the gate but in this technological age is it very easy to before hand and better for the club as they don't have large amounts of cash to try to protect until they can bank it.

The equivent from when we were at the Goldstone would have been having to queue outside the ticket office like we used to for advance tickets to high demand games equivalent to this seasons matches against Liverpool, Leeds, Palace or whoever.

That said we had to buy in advance at Withdean with few problems

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep abolish the loyalty points and at some undefined big game in the future imagine yourself sat in the stadium savouring the big match atmosphere. Bathseagull is in the seat to your right and the rattler to your left. Hmm I wonder if the game is on the telly ?

I can assure you that if Bathseagull is in the seat to your right, you'll be seeing plenty of passion for the Albion. Having stood with him at dismal grounds from Belle Vue, to Dean Court, to Bristol, he's one 'part time fan' whose Albion credentials I'm more than happy to vouch for.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
To clarify for you self-styled 'sarcastic bastards', I do agree the club needs to recognise 'loyalty', but there will never be a perfect system and, being selfish, I'm just disappointed to miss out on the best times for ages due to my 'life' circumstances. Up to you cheeserolls / wozza if you think I'm a 'part-time fan', I can take it, see you at whichever game I can next be at.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
I can assure you that if Bathseagull is in the seat to your right, you'll be seeing plenty of passion for the Albion. Having stood with him at dismal grounds from Belle Vue, to Dean Court, to Bristol, he's one 'part time fan' whose Albion credentials I'm more than happy to vouch for.

Cheers Simon. I would have responded to that one myself but I didn't actually understand what he said.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Was just trying to advance the discussion but it isn't easy on a forum like this.

And in answer to your earlier point, it's not about 'can't afford it', or 'not able to get tickets' - I'm just trying to explain how I feel a little differently about the club. I don't fully understand why if I'm honest.

Expand it however much you like, I'm off to bed.

If it has nothing to do with 'can't afford it' or 'not able to get tickets' I suggest you edit those posts where you have claimed them both to be the case... it may stop the confusion you have started.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Nope, I am with you on this. I am loving the shiny new Albion, but I dont think it will ever be like it was before. Fans close to the players and management - it felt like we were part of the club and not just its customers.

But that said, you have to move with the times, and I love every moment of things at the minute - however, i will miss the way things were before as well.

Not being disrespectful but being close to the club and players in the lower leagues? Really? I've followed Albion home and away in the lower leagues and as much as I love the club I've very rarely had a friendly response from players and as for club officials and directors? Apart from dick knight and perry, have you forgotten Archer, Belotti and the like?
As supporters we've worked so hard with actions and with our emotions to be in the position we are at the moment. Why shouldn't we enjoy and rejoice in the good times we're currently experiencing. And long may it continue all the way to the premier league.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The Rattler - so you can't afford to buy tickets for every game? Fair enough. Others can. Are you suggesting that the club should contact you and say "Hi The Rattler, we are aware that thousands of other fans have been to every game this season and you haven't been to any, but we have Palace at home coming up and we were wondering if you fancied a ticket for it as we know you used to go to the Goldstone sometimes?" I mean, seriously, listen to what you are saying. If demand outstrips supply, who do you think should take priority? And for goodness sake, this myth that if is impossible to get tickets is getting boring now, have you tried actually getting off your arse and getting one, or are you more happy moaning about how hard it is? You could have got tickets for every single game, home or away so far, and that is a fact.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Expand it however much you like, I'm off to bed.

If it has nothing to do with 'can't afford it' or 'not able to get tickets' I suggest you edit those posts where you have claimed them both to be the case... it may stop the confusion you have started.

Night. Want a lift to Ipswich by the way?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Are we losing something? No.

My mate went on the bike ride from Gillingham to Brighton and got his face in the match programme. The club still does Fan's Forums. The club listened to the fans about food, drink, music, atmosphere then built the stadium with their wishes in mind. I'd argue it's better than it was before.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Are we losing something? No.

My mate went on the bike ride from Gillingham to Brighton and got his face in the match programme. The club still does Fan's Forums. The club listened to the fans about food, drink, music, atmosphere then built the stadium with their wishes in mind. I'd argue it's better than it was before.

All very good points and reasons for me to remain highly positive that this is just a fleeting feeling of.... something.... that will pass.

Goodnight.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I don't get it.... Have you actually been to a game this season at The Amex? If you have, you will NOT be saying we are losing something. This is the best thing to EVER happen to The Albion, end of... I feel totally connected to the club even though they are now moving in unreal circles. I am actually living and breathing Albion way more than ever and the best thing is, it has rubbed off on my two boys. Get with the program or fcuk off and go to Crawley.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As long as we have Dick Knight and Tony Bloom guiding this club I believe the Albion will always "keep it real".

Good ownership is so crucial as we know to our cost. Just look tonight at QPR - those crooks Ecclestone and Briatore hiked up ticket prices to absurd levels and brought no one in. Now that they have a more sympathetic owner there has been decent Prem players brought in and talk of price reductions next season. Rangers fans are happy again and who can blame them?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I really don't understand why many people on this thread had to start attacking the OP about his personal opinion. Personally, I can totally understand where bathseagull is coming from. I'm only approaching 20, so I didn't get to experience the Ward era or the dark dark days of Archer, but in a way that's made it even "harder" to be an Albion fan as I'd never experienced the Goldstone or the Premiership years. All I've known is the shithole that was Withdean and us in League 2, 1, then Championship and then settling into the third tier again. When any of the Arsenal/Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool plastics at school scoffed at me supporting Brighton, I would not get angry, but laugh with them, but in an endearing way because they were my crap team.
Now we have the glorious Amex, one of the best managers in the country, beautiful football, a cracking team and are top of the league we've only just got promoted to. I'm sure everyone agrees that it's a massive culture shock. For me though, I'm absolutely LOVING it and am bursting with pride in supporting the amazing Albion. But I can understand why it'll take others more time to adjust. For those who were Albion fans since the 90s, I imagine struggle is all you've really known. There's no struggling for Brighton now.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Football is 100% different now, fullstop. I for one was always dead set against all-seater stadiums, I very rarely sat at The Goldstone, never at Gillingham etc but you know, actually for me having a season ticket for a seat at The Amex is magical and certainly makes me feel part of The Albion. My season tickets at The Withdean felt like I was simply helping out the Albion, now it's the other way around! I don't think I've ever felt more optimism for the club than now. Bathy, I kinda get where you are coming from - the days when you could just turn up etc, but this is sooo much better, mate. Also, you can still pretty much go to 80% of the away games this season - the majority won't sell out. With that in mind, go watch the Albion away from home, get a few loyalty points for it, and believe me some of the football we play will blow your mind. It's brilliant.

:thumbsup: Now that's the best reply.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette,'
Charles Oatway.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was feeling a little bit like that before I went to the Doncaster game. I've got a season ticket, as part of a plus 3, but I hadn't been to Falmer yet. I was feeling a bit of nostalgia for the good old bad old days, my first game was Exeter at the Priestfield. The difference between that and what we have now is massive, and it does feel strange that we're a club which needs a priority scheme and which is growing at a very fast rate, but is being handled very professionally and effectively. We've moved into a proper stadium, we've signed proper players and we do have one of the best young managers in the game (if not THE best) who is building a legacy here. It doesn't feel real until you really get involved. I missed the Peterborough match and that's disappointing but it also helps to refocus on what actually matters, which is watching your football club, and this is still that. We might not be playing in front of small crowds at crap stadiums any more, or signing other clubs dross players to assemble our squad, but it's still Brighton and Hove Albion, the same one which was rubbish in 1997/1998 but which then won the old third division with a Danny Cullip header in 2000/2001. It's amazing to have been involved in so much history. Going back to the OP, I've read this whole thread, and you're clearly a proper Brighton fan. I understand where you're coming from, but I hope you feel differently in time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Watching the transfer deadline news tonight my thoughts turned to Stoke City.

An FA Cup Final has led to European football, which has led to them attracting in the likes of Crouch, Palacios, Woodgate and Upson. On paper they should finish in the second quarter of the table. But, like Pompey before them, not one of those big name players REALLY wants to be playing for Stoke City, not when they've played for the likes of Spurs and Arsenal.

The problem comes when you make that leap from simply doing well to systemic over-achieving. The reality is they've paid £24million out today with no prospect of recouping anything like that from selling those players on and massive wages to boot. Whilst it will be exciting tonight to be a Stoke fan I give them 3 years and they'll be back in the Championship mire and financially f***ed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here