Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we in a Crisis?

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
The season is all but written off, sqaud not strong enough for promotion, crowds dwindling, life long supporters staying away. Away supporters staying away. Yes it has got round that Withdean is a shitehole and not worth paying £22 to watch your team. Many wanting Knight out and a new investor in. Some sceptical about Wilkins appointment. All does not look rosey in the garden. I have never seen such a flat atmosphere for a new manager. Usually it spurs the team on but there was nothing. We still need that experienced striker which does not seem forthcoming. Why oh why did we not take a gamble on Trevor Benjamin or even Marcus Stewart? There have been some woeful decisons and things started to fall apart when we lost Steve Coppell. alright he did not save us from relegation but we were playing decent football and he set Magoo up for promotion the next year. He also attracted some good players to Withdean such as ingamarson and sidwell etc. This excuse is getting rather boring now from the top brass at the Albion. Action is needed now otherwise league two football beckons.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not quite but in 5 games time we will be if we keep losing to pretty average teams.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Don't get me wrong I would love wilkins to be successful but my head keeps saying it ain't right.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
We're in something of a downward spiral I think.

Adams spent money in his early years on the likes of Carpenter, Brooker, Jones, Cullip, Oatway, Kuipers, Watson and even Zamora. By and large, for the past 5 years or so we've had a squad built around these players, and we've had some GREAT success. The squad has changed, but the core of the team has been there. When players have departed, we've manage to unearth gems like Virgo. These players recently had a reunion day out in London, which says something about just how strong team spirit was. Team spirit was good, results were good, performances were good, ticket sales were good.

However, now we've only really got Hart, Chippy & FDM left. The rest of the side is largely made up of youth teamers. There's nobody in our side that stands out. Team spirit is probably good, but the lack of experience is telling, and performances have been poor. Results are inconsistent (although not at the moment!!), and ticket sales are low. We're not making money - i expect only a handful of individual tickets were sold for todays game, and most of them were the cheaper ones in the family stand. The rest of the money comes in from Season ticket holders. There is little money being invested in the playing side of things. The team aren't getting the results, and fans are turning away. Until investment comes, results won't be picking up that much. Money - the one thing we need, we don't have. Although Dick Knight claims money is available - in which case Dean Wilkins sure as hell needs to spend some of it, instead of relying on virtually the whole youth team squad!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Even Perry admitted that with the delays on Falmer have changed things re players wanting to come here. Remember Coppell was sold and sold the idea of Falmer within a couple of years. No-one believes it any more it seems, making it that much harder to attract players here. SC had worked with Sidwell and Ingmarson at Brentford, a division lower than where we were when he joined andwere very lucky to get him and them. Sidwell wasn't here long either was he?

Yes I think we are in crisis and have been for a while, it's just coming home to roost now.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Icy Gull said:
Even Perry admitted that with the delays on Falmer have changed things re players wanting to come here. Remember Coppell was sold and sold the idea of Falmer within a couple of years. No-one believes it any more it seems, making it that much harder to attract players here.

Let alone a manager if required..............

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Beach Hut said:
Let alone a manager if required..............

good point, an experienced one with the know how of working with nothing anyway

Last edited:

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Withdean Wanderer said:
We're in something of a downward spiral I think.

Adams spent money in his early years on the likes of Carpenter, Brooker, Jones, Cullip, Oatway, Kuipers, Watson and even Zamora. By and large, for the past 5 years or so we've had a squad built around these players, and we've had some GREAT success. The squad has changed, but the core of the team has been there. When players have departed, we've manage to unearth gems like Virgo. These players recently had a reunion day out in London, which says something about just how strong team spirit was. Team spirit was good, results were good, performances were good, ticket sales were good.

However, now we've only really got Hart, Chippy & FDM left. The rest of the side is largely made up of youth teamers. There's nobody in our side that stands out. Team spirit is probably good, but the lack of experience is telling, and performances have been poor. Results are inconsistent (although not at the moment!!), and ticket sales are low. We're not making money - i expect only a handful of individual tickets were sold for todays game, and most of them were the cheaper ones in the family stand. The rest of the money comes in from Season ticket holders. There is little money being invested in the playing side of things. The team aren't getting the results, and fans are turning away. Until investment comes, results won't be picking up that much. Money - the one thing we need, we don't have. Although Dick Knight claims money is available - in which case Dean Wilkins sure as hell needs to spend some of it, instead of relying on virtually the whole youth team squad!!

Spot on. I would also add that some of the anti-magoo campains have gone rather quiet. Another point is something harty said at the end of last season. I quote "no-one really excites me in the Albion side these days except maybe Seb Carole". Well now Seb has gone I can't think of any player now that excites me. Jakey runs at defenders alot but you just know that he will lose it or eventually run into another player.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Normandy seagull said:
Spot on. I would also add that some of the anti-magoo campains have gone rather quiet. Another point is something harty said at the end of last season. I quote "no-one really excites me in the Albion side these days except maybe Seb Carole". Well now Seb has gone I can't think of any player now that excites me. Jakey runs at defenders alot but you just know that he will lose it or eventually run into another player.

Wilkins WILL be the next scapegoat.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Icy Gull said:
Wilkins WILL be the next scapegoat.

ONLY if he spends money on signings who fail to deliver.

Otherwise, it's DICK KNIGHT who must surely take some of the 'blame' for the situation we are in.???

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
But Roy McFarland says Withdean is a lovely pitch and would have no factor in whether a player came or not.
Also it's bollocks that it's LDC's fault we lost today as suggested by the poodle.
The reason is that the squad has been RAPED of all quality and now all that is left is youngsters who will either be sold if they're good enough or in the County League next season and old lags like Hart, Mayo and Butters who nobody wants.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Icy Gull said:
Even Perry admitted that with the delays on Falmer have changed things re players wanting to come here. Remember Coppell was sold and sold the idea of Falmer within a couple of years. No-one believes it any more it seems, making it that much harder to attract players here. SC had worked with Sidwell and Ingmarson at Brentford, a division lower than where we were when he joined andwere very lucky to get him and them. Sidwell wasn't here long either was he?

Yes I think we are in crisis and have been for a while, it's just coming home to roost now.

I agree totally with things being more difficult now that Falmer is a few years away. But the fact that we were in the championship last year must give you some credability when buying players.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Withdean Wanderer said:
ONLY if he spends money on signings who fail to deliver.

Otherwise, it's DICK KNIGHT who must surely take some of the 'blame' for the situation we are in.???

I will be very pleasantly STUNNED if he's given decent funds :down:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Normandy seagull said:
I agree totally with things being more difficult now that Falmer is a few years away. But the fact that we were in the championship last year must give you some credability when buying players.

But we threw away our chance of getting players during the Championship, if we had invested we would have stayed up.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Ernest said:
But Roy McFarland says Withdean is a lovely pitch and would have no factor in whether a player came or not.
Also it's bollocks that it's LDC's fault we lost today as suggested by the poodle.
The reason is that the squad has been RAPED of all quality and now all that is left is youngsters who will either be sold if they're good enough or in the County League next season and old lags like Hart, Mayo and Butters who nobody wants.

I have to agree Ernest that Mayo and Butters should never have been given another year. Alright we need experienced players, but there are different types of experienced players. Ones that you need and ones that you don't and I'm afraid they are both the 'ones we don't need'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here