Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we going to go out of business

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dougal said:
why are you under that impression ? where have you got this info from + why couldn't the mystery men help with out having to involve the list I posted at the top of the post ?

Could it not be that they have put as much into the club as either they want to or can afford taking into account that this is donations from 2 of them for which they will get absolutely nothing. The director may recoup some of his losses one day but even that is not guaranteed.

Dougal said:
I know the delaying tatics from you know who have been linked to hoping we go out of business. I have never really believed this would happen but while bored at work just worked out that assuming this 180k we have for players is everything we have it does raise the question as to where the hell are we going to get the money to survive for another year based on the fact that without the following I assume we would of gone under ?

300k A&K fund
250k Cullip
150k Currie
450K Harding
125k Harding Jan payment
250k Spurs away
1.5million Virgo
67k Knight
250k coca cola

9haven't put expenditure for anyone but assume we could knock off say spurs away to cover this)

It's true our financial situation is not good but I suspect those windfall payments were used to pay off the accumulated debts of more than one year and leave us capable of withstanding the buffets of a few more bad years - sensible financial planning.

We are due more Harding money and we will of course continue to be a selling club (although we won't under-sell our players).

It all underlines the need to stay within budgets and ignore the siren calls of those who want to breach them or breach our wages structure.

The fact remains the current management team have been juggling an appalling Priestfield-Withdean revenue situation for 9 years and I think we can have very confidence that they can continue to do it for a few more.

The worst of the exceptional spending on Falmer (as opposed to the business plan spending) is now nearly over, that's at least one silver cloud lining.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BarrelofFun said:
BG.

So you think DK be financially involved keeping us afloat? How do you have such access to his accounts? Statements in rubbish bins? Perhaps you should try bowls ;)

This is how I see the situation, which may well be completely wrong. We are losing money hand over fist at Withdean, for whatever reason and for that you can blame who you wish, I put the blame at Greg Stanleys feet. DK does not have the wealth to continually keep paying out and as such has enlisted the help of others who have now reached the stage that they can no longer continue chucking good money after bad so they have pulled up. Even the fans have reached a point where by they are either unable or unwilling to give more hence the fact that A & K only raised 300k when 2.5m was needed. Which averaged out at £50 per home fan approx = 2 match tickets. I do not think that it is a case of anybody wanting to stop or any individual failing in his duties but more a case of individual finances dictating the route that we have to take.

The answer hopefully lies in LDC losing their battle and us starting to build Falmer and to build a future.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BensGrandad said:
The answer hopefully lies in LDC losing their battle and us starting to build Falmer and to build a future.

Unless some other little parish "affected" by the development were to take us to the European Courts. :angry:
Afterall, the LDC said they wouldn't take it any further, I think. I bet they have other tricks up their sleeves.

Albion fans in the Lewes District should "rent out" their "spare rooms" in time for Albion fans to "move in" and vote the current LDC out!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
BarrelofFun said:

Afterall, the LDC said they wouldn't take it any further,
Of course they won't. Just like Norman Wanker said he'd go with John Prescots decision.
LDC will do as they please, no matter what they say now.

Last edited:

BensGrandad said:
This is how I see the situation, which may well be completely wrong. We are losing money hand over fist at Withdean, for whatever reason and for that you can blame who you wish, I put the blame at Greg Stanleys feet. DK does not have the wealth to continually keep paying out and as such has enlisted the help of others who have now reached the stage that they can no longer continue chucking good money after bad so they have pulled up. Even the fans have reached a point where by they are either unable or unwilling to give more hence the fact that A & K only raised 300k when 2.5m was needed. Which averaged out at £50 per home fan approx = 2 match tickets. I do not think that it is a case of anybody wanting to stop or any individual failing in his duties but more a case of individual finances dictating the route that we have to take.
You realise all that and yet still argue repeatedly for breaching our player budgets and wages structure (that prevents inflationary spending on players) - which is why people get frustrated with your offerings on here. If you think we are cash-strapped, why are you always arguing for us to spend money we don't have?

Last edited:

E

enigma

London Irish said:
If you think we are cash-strapped, why are you always arguing for us to spend money we don't have?

Very good point.....

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
London Irish said:
You realise all that and yet still argue repeatedly for breaching our player budgets and wages structure (that prevents inflationary spending on players) - which is why people get frustrated with your offerings on here. If you think we are cash-strapped, why are you always arguing for us to spend money we don't have?
Bloody hell, I'm starting to agree with London irish:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
We are losing money hand over fist at Withdean,
No we're not. We're just not making the same profits on each match as other clubs are. If it were not financially viable to put matches on at Withdean, they wouldn't do it. Simple, really.

The past windfalls have helped at a time when the accumulated debt of getting planning permission for Falmer was exceeding what? £3m? £5m? Aside from this £90,000 for the upcoming Judicial Review, there are no more debts to be accumulated from this process. For now. Therefore, more of the revenue coming into the club now can be channelled into more everyday matters, rather than this crippling capital expenditure of the planning process.

The board of directors will budget accordingly, not spend recklessly in order to run up horrific unnecessary debts which there may be no certainty of being repaid.

The costs of the Albion building Falmer has got nothing to do with the day-to-day running of the club. We cannot expect to see any significant increase in turnover until the 2008/09 season, unless investors come in. So it's plain to see that all these people 'monitoring' the situation know that they are not going to invest for at least two more years.

Meanwhile, the struggle continues...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dougal said:
...based on the fact that without the following I assume we would of gone under ?

300k A&K fund
250k Cullip
150k Currie
450K Harding
125k Harding Jan payment
250k Spurs away
1.5million Virgo
67k Knight
250k coca cola

Must admit, same thought crossed my mind. Tho I guess all the items listed above have at least earnt the club a bit of breathing space. The A&K fund launch really felt like a last throw of the dice at the time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
No we're not. We're just not making the same profits on each match as other clubs are. If it were not financially viable to put matches on at Withdean, they wouldn't do it. Simple, really.

The past windfalls have helped at a time when the accumulated debt of getting planning permission for Falmer was exceeding what? £3m? £5m? Aside from this £90,000 for the upcoming Judicial Review, there are no more debts to be accumulated from this process. For now. Therefore, more of the revenue coming into the club now can be channelled into more everyday matters, rather than this crippling capital expenditure of the planning process.

The board of directors will budget accordingly, not spend recklessly in order to run up horrific unnecessary debts which there may be no certainty of being repaid.

The costs of the Albion building Falmer has got nothing to do with the day-to-day running of the club. We cannot expect to see any significant increase in turnover until the 2008/09 season, unless investors come in. So it's plain to see that all these people 'monitoring' the situation know that they are not going to invest for at least two more years.

Meanwhile, the struggle continues...

So if we look at ther accounts for 2004 they will show that we are in a better financial position than we were in 2003 and conversely 2005 will show better than 2004 when they are produced.

To answer LI it is because of our precarious financial position that I belive that wecannot afford to be relegated and we must spend a little to ensure that we stay in this division and thus keep the Sky TV money etc.

As I have said many times we are reputedly in debt to the tune of approx £9m so another £100k is neither here nor there but could stop it becoming £10m or worse at this time next year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do you not think that it is a chance worth taking? It is not going to make or break the club but could prevent further losses next year and encourage more people to buy or renew a season ticket ticket this as it would show that the board do have ambition on the pitch as well as off of it. £50k Is only just over 100 extra North Stand Tickets are there 100 in the north stand considering not renewing next year or available to buy as new.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
For goodness sake man... the club have consistently said it is not a matter of funds, but locating the right player who wants to come here.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

larus

Great logic. How many 'big' clubs have tried to buy success and then come unstuck. However you word it, you would be gambling on staying in this league.

Lets take a different tack here. Lets assume we spent £ 100k on a loan signing for this season and increased the debt. That doesn't work and we end up get relegated. Then the JR instructs Prescott to review the basis on which he made his decision, and this delays the decision on Falmer for a further few months.

The drop in divisions means that the attendances collapse (which is the grounds upon which you expect us to gamble money on a player). The increased debt means there are increased interest payments to be made. To try to balance the books and not get into a spiral of rising debts, we are forced to sell another couple of youngster, say Gatting & Hinsh.

Coupled with the loss of the senior players due to age/injuries, we could then be in a position to slip down to League 2.

See, we can all make up scare stories. My scenario is as feasible as yours is BG. I am happy to accept that we struggle to compete at this level, but believe that the club is being run financially well. This ensures long term survival, albeit at the risk of short-term disappointment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Titanic said:
For goodness sake man... the club have consistently said it is not a matter of funds, but locating the right player who wants to come here.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I am not disputing that money isnt the reason for not signing a loan player just trying to explain to those who suggest we shouldn't spend any money in case we are relegated and it increases our debt.

Having seen the posts by Insider I believe that there is money available, whether or not it is sufficient to pay the wage that the type of player that we need would command is only known to a few of, which I am not one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
larus said:

Lets take a different tack here. Lets assume we spent £ 100k on a loan signing for this season and increased the debt. That doesn't work and we end up get relegated. Then the JR instructs Prescott to review the basis on which he made his decision, and this delays the decision on Falmer for a further few months.

The drop in divisions means that the attendances collapse (which is the grounds upon which you expect us to gamble money on a player). The increased debt means there are increased interest payments to be made. To try to balance the books and not get into a spiral of rising debts, we are forced to sell another couple of youngster, say Gatting & Hinsh.

Coupled with the loss of the senior players due to age/injuries, we could then be in a position to slip down to League 2.

First and foremost I believe that we will struggle to avoid a 2nd relegation next season if we go down this, but that is a personal view as I believe that the selling of players is fairly certain either way just to keep our head above water.

Would the debt be so much more difficult to manage and repay if it were £9.1m than £9m?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here