• yes

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • no

Votes: 61 77.2%

• Total voters

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Teams like liverpool, man united and arsenal are to me big clubs teams that have won the domestic league and cups a few times and won in europe.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
To clear up a few points:
1. Your team can have won nothing in it's entire history and still be a big club. Cup/League victories mean nothing in terms of 'big'.
2. A big club is one that can rake in 40,000+ for the visit of insignificant Premiership opposition such as Portsmouth or Bolton - the big nine are Newcastle, Leeds, Sunderland, Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Man Ure, Spurs if the ground was big enough with the recent addition of Man City.
3. The next biggest group are the 23-35,000 if in the Premiership mob which comprises just about everyone from Derby to Palarse to Cardiff to Norwich to Bristol City to Notts Forest to Hull and BHAFC. Most of these clubs, if in the Premiership, would not attract 35,000 for the visit of Bolton Wanderers on a December night.
4. I thank you.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
n1 gull said:
I think what people have forgotten to mention is the fact that Brighton is a growing thriving city.

But Brighton's population is one of the most transient in the country.

And many people living in Brighton - the new breed - don't have local connections...

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Cheeky Monkey has hit the nail on the head. I would say I don't think we're in the 2nd group yet, but could be. I know we used to have 30,000 crowds very ocassionally, but we've been in the wilderness for years and loads of people like the Albion, but actually follow Arsenal/Utd or Chelsea, until we convert those fans to proper Albion supporters we'll always be a small club

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
I started supporting the Posh in the mid-seventies, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Brighton is, potentially, a f***ing big club :)

Easily bigger than Reading and more than a match for Palace - just need the stadium to re-invigorate the fan-base.

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Brighton and Hove Albion are the biggest football club in history. Now that's only my opinion, based on my view of life, from my sad little world. But I don't care what anyone else thinks!!!!

Seriously I get hugely f:censored: ed off when I read about managers leaving one club for a job at a "bigger" club. Ok I fully understand that money comes into it, as do facilities, and the size of crowd that a team can attract, but it always seems a bit dismissive of the fans of said "smaller" clubs for whom their club is and always will be "BIG".

I understand that the above is complete piffle and has no basis in reality, but I stand by it!!

Happy New Year!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its an impossible question to answer, because people have different perceptions as to what makes a "big" club. Is it crowds ? Is it trophies ? How far back are you allowed to go for past achievements ? Its a bit of a pointless question really.

Its like asking "Is a house big ?"

A two-bedroomed terraced house is small. But compared to a garden shed, its big. A five bedroomed detatched is big, but compared to a mansion it is small.

If we have to define "big" in England, I suppose you have to look at the obvious, being Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea. All rich, all with recent silverware, all with large fanbases. Outside of those three, it all gets a bit of a grey area, doesn't it.

And this "potential" thing is bollocks. Ask any fan of any club and they'll say their club has "great potential". Well potential counts for nothing. You might as well be saying "we MIGHT be a big club one day, but then again, we might not". Tosh.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
its not possible to be a big club at the withdean. maybe at falmer, but not withdean, never.

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
And this "potential" thing is bollocks. Ask any fan of any club and they'll say their club has "great potential". Well potential counts for nothing. You might as well be saying "we MIGHT be a big club one day, but then again, we might not". Tosh.

There is a world of difference between Posh fans thinking the club is a 'sleeping giant' with 'bags of potential' and a club like Brighton which, as recently as the 70s had huge support.

Where is the local catchment competition for Brighton? Reading has provided the model by replacing their shit stadium (that averaged 7k-ish) with something state of the art and 'bingo!' But the Reading area has excellent connections to London so the 'really big clubs' can always draw potential support from the Thames Valley.

In some respects I dread the day Falmer is built because another currently small club will be getting a huge leg-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here