Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are things really going to be THAT diffrent?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would expect us to make a concerted ( and thefore well backed) effort to get out of this division. Falmer in League One will see crowds less than half we can expect in the Championship. I wouldn't have thought you'd commit 97 million and bumble along with run of the mill players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The banks pulled funding so Bloom stumped up the whole amount INTEREST FREE. 93 million is a lot to pay back over 15 years but 1 million accumalates roughly 30k a year interest so times that by 95 is well a lot of money! Things wont be that different, not really its still the same board with a change at the top. The thing is that Bloom wont call in creditors if the club fail to pay back the loan he will simply revert that into shares, when the club becomes successful i reckon he will float it on the stock exchange, getting his money back.

This is the crucial point.

The ONLY way for TB to recoup any of his outlay, is for the club to be succesful. That single point alone, should sooth any concerns people might be feeling.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The banks pulled funding so Bloom stumped up the whole amount INTEREST FREE. 93 million is a lot to pay back over 15 years but 1 million accumalates roughly 30k a year interest so times that by 95 is well a lot of money! Things wont be that different, not really its still the same board with a change at the top. The thing is that Bloom wont call in creditors if the club fail to pay back the loan he will simply revert that into shares, when the club becomes successful i reckon he will float it on the stock exchange, getting his money back.

I think a high risk business loan would come at a lot higher percentage than 3%.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
This is the crucial point.

The ONLY way for TB to recoup any of his outlay, is for the club to be succesful. That single point alone, should sooth any concerns people might be feeling.

Exactly. Whether it's wise to have one majority shareholder or not surely everbody can agree TB will do everything he can to get us into the championship within 2yrs.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I never said that I was against Bloom coming in, im just wondering if we will notice anything THAT diffrent in the next few years?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Things have already changed. Tony Bloom must have spent a lot of money to keep us in this League. If it was like before, there would have been no money available for a last minute bail-out and we would have gone down.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
maybe, my original excitement about Bloom's investment was misplaced?!

having reconsidered this alternative future of ours, maybe Tony Bloom is actually some kind of Biff character whose gambling fortune has been amassed using a dodgy sports almanac and he's going to steer us towards some horrific 'alternative 1985' where lawlessness reigns and Bloom Towers cast a shadow over all of Brighton and Hove, albeit delivering a new Olympic half-size 25m swimming pool to the local community through planning gain!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Things have already changed. Tony Bloom must have spent a lot of money to keep us in this League. If it was like before, there would have been no money available for a last minute bail-out and we would have gone down.

Exactly. That las minute rush of loans for players like Owusu and Dicker kept us up but in previous years, particualrly when we were relegated from the Championship that just didn't happen to the same extent. Blooms money already kept us up, lets hope it now pushes us to the top of the division.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think things have changed massively, and we will see a big difference. For starters, there must have been some nervousness around the boardroom in terms of finalising the Falmer funding, they would have been careful about spending on Xfer fees and the like as a result. Now that Falmer is secured, that nervousness will have been removed, the gloves will come off, and the purse-strings significantly loosened.

Remember, Tony Bloom HAS to make this work, the ONLY way his massive investment will bear fruit is if we are in the Championship, as a minimum requirement in 2 years. This means we will certainly be investing in the squad, otherwise it would be a bit like buying a new house, but forgetting to pay for the foundations.

All uncertainty has been removed, everyone knows what needs to happen, the Club, the manager, the players and the supporters. The whole landscape has changed, and for the better.

This club won't be the same again, ever.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
.....YES we wont be paying intrest on the loan which would save some money but paying £93m in 15 years isnt going to be easy

Call me a pessimist but Im not 100% convinced that things are going to be THAT diffrent!

What do you think the interest on, say, a £60M loan would be? At 5%, which would probably be an average rate over the life of the loan, we would be paying £3 MILLION every year - and that's without repaying any of the capital. assuming 25 home games that equates to £120K out of the proceeds of every home match will go straight to the bank. At an average price of £20 per ticket (which may be high) that means the first 6000 that go will just be paying back the bank. After that we will still need to pay the players and the staff.

Having a loan without interest will make a huge difference to the way that we run the club. It will give us more scope to attract the players we want and to attract the fans (we can offer more discounted tickets if we need to).

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think the fact Falmer is going ahead is the difference.

Plus the fact that when it's built we wont have morgage payments to pay on it meaning any money the club makes can be banked to accumilate interest from a bank as opposed to us paying banks interest. My biggest fear with borrowing money from banks was that if crowds fell below expectations we would end up in administration and in all sorts of financial trouble, The way I see it now is at least we've got a bit of financial stability for a few years at least which is something we hav'nt had for a long time.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
We now are aware who provided the money for Falmer and its only right that he takes over the Chairmans position,things can only get better for after this season they could hardly get worse.
It makes me feel BLOOMING GREAT!

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
If the stadiuim is costing £93 million and BHA are getting various grants, how can Bloom be funding the full £93 million unless the grants are being withdrawn. Surely someone must know exactly how much Bloom is putting in.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here