Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are These The Snobbiest People In Britain?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Race said:
Nowt wrong with Argos, I recently brought my nippers Xmas present from there as it was on special offer, why would I pay £70 more for it elsewhere just because it's regarded as 'chav'!!!!

Robosapien V2?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
the Chapel Road argos is closing in March, and relocating to the Downlands one and the Montague street store will become the "town" store

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I've bought load of bits n bobs in Argos over the years. Usually their products are cheaper than other high street stores.

Build one in Lymington, along with a Lidl and a Poundland, then they'd really be f***ed off.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Starry said:
Robosapien V2?

That's the one, and it's bloody huge, it had to be hidden in the loft as it wouldnt fit anywhere else! He wasnt having one priced at £169 but seeing as Argoose had them on special offer at £99 I thought it was a bargain!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Race said:
That's the one, and it's bloody huge, it had to be hidden in the loft as it wouldnt fit anywhere else! He wasnt having one priced at £169 but seeing as Argoose had them on special offer at £99 I thought it was a bargain!

I used to get a satsuma* and a colouring book :down:

*the appeal of the stasuma was diminished somewhat by the fact that it was generally placed in one of my dad's old socks:ohmy:

**NB - best Christmas EVER was when I was 7 and my mum and dad must have been a bit flush for some reason. I got a toy garage, with 3 petrol pumps and a little ramp for repairing cars that went up and down :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: It was open for business all Christmas Day AND Boxing Day :lolol:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Race said:

We got one as well! It's hidden at my parents house for now.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Bry Nylon said:
I used to get a satsuma* and a colouring book :down:

*the appeal of the stasuma was diminished somewhat by the fact that it was generally placed in one of my dad's old socks:ohmy:

They never put in any nuts and sweets as well or a set of farm yard animals with plastic trees and fences?!! how mean! :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Race said:
They never put in any nuts and sweets as well or a set of farm yard animals with plastic trees and fences?!! how mean! :lolol:

Ah, now you remind me! Yes, there would sometimes be a handful of those white sugary mice, or perhaps an assortment of chocolate 'hardware tools' (saws and hammers and the like - for some reason). But not made from 'proper' chocolate ??? Who used to make that stuff? Oh, and a fifty pence piece :clap:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Bry Nylon said:
or perhaps an assortment of chocolate 'hardware tools' (saws and hammers and the like - for some reason). But not made from 'proper' chocolate ??? Who used to make that stuff?

I remember those saws and hammers!! cheap shiny chocolate YUK!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
We always used to get a Ladybird book, not difficult to spot in the sock, a bit like a snake that has just eaten a rabbit, don't reckon dads socks were much use after that treatment.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think this is BRILLIANT.

Surely this woman can't be for real. Granted, I don't expect her to go out and purchase a collection of 9ct gold Elizabeth Duke hooped earrings for Christmas, but to suggest Argos is too lowbrow for their town?

Hopefully the likes of Lidl, Somerfield, B-Wise, TK Maxx, Primark, Top Shop and Aldi are queuing up now to rent that empty shop space

*racks brains to think of more crappy shop chains- then looks down at Church Road in Burgess Hill for inspiration*

:clap:

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Beach Hut said:
Have to say Lymington is a delightful place with very few brand shops there - Woolies, Waitrose and Morrisons are the only three large stores there the rest all seem independant.

A shame then that it is clearly populated by pretentious ****s.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
This reminds me of an incident about 6 years ago, when we (as in my family) were down here house hunting.

For whatever reason, we ened up deciding to visit Lewes for something to do, and about lunchtime my mum asked in the WH Smith's over there if there was a McDonald's or similar establishment around, which was greeted by a very snooty response of "Good heavens no, we don't have that sort of thing in Lewes".

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Alex Frutos said:
This reminds me of an incident about 6 years ago, when we (as in my family) were down here house hunting.

For whatever reason, we ened up deciding to visit Lewes for something to do, and about lunchtime my mum asked in the WH Smith's over there if there was a McDonald's or similar establishment around, which was greeted by a very snooty response of "Good heavens no, we don't have that sort of thing in Lewes".

On the plus side though they'll soon have a brand-spanking new coach park they can be proud of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here