Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the wheels about to come off the Albion's good run?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I don't want to dampen everyone's spirits but it's just occured to me, perhaps rather belatedly, that we run the very real risk of losing Savage, O'Callaghan and Richards over the next few weeks if we are not careful. We really mustn't allow this to happen and I hope the Board will make available funds to secure all three players. Without them, I can see the wheels falling off our bid for promotion in double quick time. The thought of Kerry returning at left back fills me with terror.

:nono::bigwave:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Agreed Zebedee. I don't think either O'Callaghan or Richards are set to play a big part for Ipswich this season and they would be doing themselves a favour in staying. The season would fall apart without those three, unless we are able to bring in decent replacements. I don't think our youngsters are ready to step up to the plate and play a whole season with little back up.

As you said, Richards and George have said they both want Championship football and we need to convince them that it is achievable with us and I do not see why that shouldn't be the case.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Richards could at least be replaced by Rents without a HUGE effect on the team.

I know you said HUGE effect, but I really don't think he is ready to make the step up as a left back. I think he is too weak defensively and Richards has done a sterling job of late and still seems to be improving. With Rents playing, he only has a 30% win ratio and a few of them were as a sub when the game was all but over. I think Richards is nearly as important as O'Callaghan.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we will do OK despite any losses. The forwards, I am a bit concerned about. Bas Savage is OK and so is Forster, but we may need better players.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
but we may need better players.

Yeah top work that. I think every club outside the top 4 of the premiershit could say that. It's pretty safe to say a League One team struggling for the play-offs could do with some better players :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Richards could at least be replaced by Rents without a HUGE effect on the team. However, George and Bas, should they leave, would HAVE to be replaced from outside of the club If they are not, I believe it's the difference between having a genuine chance of the play-offs and being bottom half.

Totally wrong the easiest one to replace is Savage. Rents is too light so we would need to play Lynch at left back and Fraser could take over from O'Callaghan at a push neither of these moves are good but anybody could takeover from Savage, Elder or even Revell as a last resort.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The forward line is indeed a bit of a concern. At the moment, if Forster gets injured, which isn't impossible given his age, we only really have Savage and Revell. One of those is looking like he might be off, and the other hasn't exactly had a great season so far. Otherwise we could use Robinson (who doesn't score enough) or Elder (who is unproven) - we really would be struggling.

As for the loan players. I think Richards would be a loss but not a devestating one - we do have cover at the back and can re-arrange to make a decent back four but I do think he is a good player getting better so obviously it would be good if he stayed.

O'Callaghan has been very influential since he came - it showed more than ever while he was suspended - so I think he is an important signing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would put Savage on the bench at the best. Either Revell or Elder could do as well as him. Revell is better on the ground than him Elder is better in the air take your choice.

If we lose Richards I would expect Wilkins to play Lynch at left back with Elphick and El Abd in the centre on most occassions unless suspensions or injury.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In an ideal world I would get rid of Savage, Elder and Revell and use the wages to bring in somebody like Dele Adebola or Paul Furlong. Then to agree with you move heaven and earth to keep Richards and O'Callaghan, neither of whom figure on Ipswich plans and if they return it will only be to go to another club on loan for the season.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If Baz thinks he can do better elsewhere no doubt we can spend his wages on somebody else, like O'Callahan. As far as it goes what Baz should remember that if he leaves here the only way is down. Very few leave BHA to better themselves. Only Harding and Zamora have done so in recent seasons.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Richards could at least be replaced by Rents without a HUGE effect on the team. However, George and Bas, should they leave, would HAVE to be replaced from outside of the club If they are not, I believe it's the difference between having a genuine chance of the play-offs and being bottom half.

I think the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here