Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the trains really that bad ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
In my opinion I think they do an amazing job. Yes they can be a bit squashed at times, but anybody remember what it was like getting a train at Hove station when we were at the Goldstone ? Today I left at the final whistle, had a pint at Brighton station and was on the 10:33 to Worthing. Was at home by 11 something. Whole thong is well organized in my opinion !

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
When they run smoothly it is a good service but if there is a glitch then it can be a bit of a mare.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
When they run smoothly it is a good service but if there is a glitch then it can be a bit of a mare.

Welcome to the UK rail system! For what it's worth I think the translate great now. One pint after the game and their are hardly any queues at all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was a lot of people tonight asking what's going to happen on Boxing Day when the trains won't be running. Rescheduled game shirley?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I think there is a lot of unnecessary moaning about the transport in general, and especially the trains. People have a small-time mentality and don't realise they are now at an event with 25,000 people. If you went to Lord's, the O2 or West Ham you'd expect big queues and they all hold a similar number of people. If you want to park 50 yards from the stadium you will queue to get out, and if you want to use a station that is 100 yards from your seat you will need to accept a wait. Once people appreciate this they will start to realise the Amex travel is actually incredibly good.

However, I did spot one bad thing tonight. I parked at the Bridge car park and walked back alongside the track. Two trains went past in that time and both had virtually nobody in the rear two coaches. That is unforgivable when there are people queuing.

Spot on. But yeah, there were empty seats on the carriage I was in back to Lewes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
***HOLD THE PRESS***

Was on a packed 6pm train (6.11pm by the time it arrived late) leaving Portslade, absolutely rammed. Bit p*ssed off, but there you go, and everyone made the best of it.

Arrived at Brighton on Platform 3.....where.....(wait for it)......we departed straight away direct to Falmer!!

Now, I was under the impression trains could only get to Falmer from the far platforms 6 to 8 or whatever??

I actually like a train geek watched with great interest at our traversing the points from Platform 2 to the Lewes bound track. A direct train from Portslade and beyond to Falmer - BRILLIANT!!!

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Was anything up with the trains going east after the game last night?

Last night we stayed for a couple of pints as we normally do but normally you stroll on to the platform and jump on the first train. Last night there were still allot of people waiting to go east. A train did turn up but it was only going to Lewes so we managed to get on it.

As for the trains in general I think they've pretty much got it nailed now. They could do with having longer trains from Brighton out there before evening games but I guess that is the case of having the available rolling stock.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
***HOLD THE PRESS***

Was on a packed 6pm train (6.11pm by the time it arrived late) leaving Portslade, absolutely rammed. Bit p*ssed off, but there you go, and everyone made the best of it.

Arrived at Brighton on Platform 2.....where.....(wait for it)......we departed straight away direct to Falmer!!

Now, I was under the impression trains could only get to Falmer from the far platforms 6 to 8 or whatever??

I actually like a train geek watched with great interest at our traversing the points from Platform 2 to the Lewes bound track. A direct train from Portslade and beyond to Falmer - BRILLIANT!!!

Unless they've re-modelled the track layout at Brighton you wouldn't have got from platform 2 to the east coast, Platform 3 yeah but not platform 2.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Left after the final whistle, STROLLED to the station and got 2nd train. Ten minutes then train to Worthing and home just after 11.
Like Catfish says, when it works it is pretty good.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
There used to be trains going along the coast from West to East.

I think they should do that more often, not just on match days

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There used to be trains going along the coast from West to East.

I think they should do that more often, not just on match days

It made perfect sense. Whether that was a planned decision or not I don't know, but Southern knew they had a rammed train, obviously had a gap in the departures due to it's late arrival, and just sent us straight back out direct to Falmer.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I did park and ride last night(for the first time) to the top of Mill Hill. It's the way forward!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm ALWAYS in bed before midnight after an evening game, and I live in North-West London. I don't think that's too bad at all, seeing as the game doesn't usually finish much before 9.45pm and I have to make 3 changes. The only issue I have with the trains is that they don't fill them up enough. It's only a 7 minute journey or so to Brighton from Falmer, anyone who thinks those trains are squashed should try getting on the Jubilee line in the morning. There were spare seats on the train I was on last night! Seats! They could knock at least 30% of the queuing time if they filled the trains up, possibly more.

And I don't see any problem at all on Saturdays, I just stay for one leisurely pint after the game and then stroll down and hop on the first train that comes in. Which is what I'd do for evening games if I lived in Brighton.

There still seems to be some people who expect to leave a stadium at exactly the same time as 25,000 other people and get on to a 300 capacity train straight away with no queuing. It's pretty simple mathematics to work out that isn't going to happen, but then I think we have some pretty simple fans.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trains were less frustrating than the post match pint. Went down to WSL after the game to find the outside tills weren't open (again), they weren't applying the 15% discount on Harvey's (again) and, in any case, the Harvey's soon ran out (again). After finally getting a pint for the right prices I had a good old natter and walked to the station. Brighton bound train was just leaving but I walked on to the next one. They're a nightmare when they go wrong but the same's true of the rush hour. If they run to time then they're getting spot on.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Other than the odd hiccup the trains have been really good since we moved to Falmer, in my opinion. Especially post-match. They could be better pre-match for midweek fixtures when those stupid three carriage trains are still used. Also coming in from Worthing etc can be stupidly crowded... but this is also due to 3 carriage trains.

When the extra seats go in, surely they will need to ensure ALL match day trains are at least 6 carriages long? Midweek and weekend.

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
I had an interesting chat with a member of southern rail staff at brighton station, apparently they all sick of their head office for not laying on extra trains during midweek, she was saying she thinks its a shambles how packed the trains are and how little they run prior to kick off.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I'm ALWAYS in bed before midnight after an evening game, and I live in North-West London. I don't think that's too bad at all, seeing as the game doesn't usually finish much before 9.45pm and I have to make 3 changes. The only issue I have with the trains is that they don't fill them up enough. It's only a 7 minute journey or so to Brighton from Falmer, anyone who thinks those trains are squashed should try getting on the Jubilee line in the morning. There were spare seats on the train I was on last night! Seats! They could knock at least 30% of the queuing time if they filled the trains up, possibly more.

And I don't see any problem at all on Saturdays, I just stay for one leisurely pint after the game and then stroll down and hop on the first train that comes in. Which is what I'd do for evening games if I lived in Brighton.

There still seems to be some people who expect to leave a stadium at exactly the same time as 25,000 other people and get on to a 300 capacity train straight away with no queuing. It's pretty simple mathematics to work out that isn't going to happen, but then I think we have some pretty simple fans.

Transaction HistoryTransaction HistoryDate From:
October, 2012MonTueWedThuFriSatSun12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 Date To:
October, 2012MonTueWedThuFriSatSun12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031

Transaction Date Description Credit Debit
02/10/2012 21:52:43 Top Up Card (Via Till) £0.39
02/10/2012 21:52:42 Debit Card (Via Till) -£3.90
02/10/2012 16:53:14 Top Up Via Web £30.00
<< Previous PagePage : 1 of 1 Next Page >>

Just checked my transactions - Youre right 15% discount on Harveys post match not applied

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here