Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

Are The Beatles the greatest band of all time?

• Total voters

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
I'm surprised there hasn't been a single shout for Radiohead, who produce variety and even when they were one of the biggest bands in the world took massive risks. In that vein I believe they are the spiritual successors to The Beatles, more than Oasis.

But if we are talking about taking risks, then surely Weller took one of the biggest risks splitting up the Jam when they were at their peak and arguably the best band in the country.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm surprised there hasn't been a single shout for Radiohead, who produce variety and even when they were one of the biggest bands in the world took massive risks. In that vein I believe they are the spiritual successors to The Beatles, more than Oasis.

Oasis were the spiritual successors to Slade......

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is it? Most of their music and certainly everything before 1966/67 sounds horribly dated to me.

So just the following work post 66/67;
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper
Magical Mystery Tour
The White Album
The Beatles
Yellow Submarine
Abbey Road
Let it Be

Horribly dated my arse. Stick on 'Tomorrow Never Knows' and you have the Chemical Brothers and the whole Big Beat genre 30 years before it even started....

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They recorded this in 1966 aged 24. 1966!!! Chemical Brothers anyone?

[yt]spjcPS4ekOA[/yt]

This is what defines their greatness. It's not whether you like them particularly, but the sheer scope of their work, and the influence over popular music they've had is just astounding.

There have of course been many equally great records and bands, however none have made the same impact or exacted the same transformation over entire genres. The breadth of there infiltration into so many different strands of music is mind blowing.

Over the years albums I've not loved so much have grown on me, others fall out of favour. The listening experience fluctuates over time, grows with you, falls out with you. Incredible. I've never fallen out with Revolver however. To go from Eleanor Rigby to finish with Tomorrow Never Knows, just perfection. You can't listen to Revolver without hearing The Jam, Chemical Brothers, Oasis, Nitin Sawhney, many many more. If there was ever a masterpiece it was this.

Oct 25, 2003
Interesting no one reckons any band from the last 20 years?...

tis interesting. There are some acts that I absolutely love from the last 20 years (or so) like Nirvana, Public Enemy, Stone Roses etc. I think they're all superb....however I wouldn't claim any of them were anywhere near being the best band of all time to be honest

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I read the Joe Meek autobiography over the summer and, though revolutionary in terms of studio technique, the music he was producing in the early 60s really needed something to shake it up. The Beatles and Merseybeat were to that era of music what The Sex Pistols were to the likes of Queen and 10cc.

As for The Kinks and The Stones, their first singles were cover versions; the former a pretty poor version of 'Long Tall Sally', chosen because it would strike a chord (literally?) with The Beatles fans. It took a while for them to become established in their own right.

This, of course, is just my opinion.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Greatest?

It's all opinions, and popular music evolved throughout the 20th century thanks to so many people. From Jazz, Blues to Rock and Roll. From Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, The Kinks and the Stones.

Yes, the Beatles were a great, great band, and McCartney/Lennon were without doubt both unbelievably talented. The greatest, not sure.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But if we are talking about taking risks, then surely Weller took one of the biggest risks splitting up the Jam when they were at their peak and arguably the best band in the country.

Weller who borrowed from the Beatles throughout his entire career!? Taxman....Start.....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Weller who borrowed from the Beatles throughout his entire career!? Taxman....Start.....

Yet, I would strongly contend that Weller's version was superior... Beatles wetting their nappies over contributing to the nation's tax bill versus Weller's expression about the delicate nature of the threads of human intimacy and communication.

Last edited:

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
The Beatles were a fantastic, groundbreaking band, however, not everything they did worked but that's what happens when yopu push the boundaries. Another top fantastic, groundbreaking singer was David Bowie but everyone conveniently forgets his " The Laughing Gnome ".

Ah 'The Laughing Gnome' It's a classic that one.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They released 13 outstanding albums in just 8 years.....8 friggin years! (it's taken Radiohead just under 20 years to manage just 8 albums!!)

They arguably have 6 or 7 of those albums regularly voted for in the top 20 albums of all time.

They also did all this up against some of the greatest other acts of all time....The Stones, Elvis, Dylan, Pink Floyd, they continually out created these fine other acts.

When they broke up, Lennon was 30, Harrison just 27, Macca 28.......their work represented their 20's!!!! It's nothing short of pure genius. It's just unbelievable.

They invented genres, the concept album, Brian Wilson cried when he heard Sgt. Pepper and was suicidal that here was genius he couldn't touch.

Judging the Beatles isn't your subjective opinion on whether you like them as your personal favourite band, objectively, there really is no argument that they truly are the Greatest Band of all time....period.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yet, I would strongly contend that Weller's version was superior... Beatles wetting their nappies over contributing to the nation's tax bill versus Weller's expression about the delicate nature of the threads of human intimacy and communication.

I love The Jam, no way I'm going to criticise them in any shape or form. But they could never touch The Beatles in the great scheme of things.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me

See, I don't see this. I love Weller & The Jam but cant stand The Beatles. Same with Oasis, everybody says that they wouldn't of been the band they were without the beatles. Now I'm no massive Oasis fan but I thought they were a hell of a lot better than The Beatles.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I supposed most of us go with what you were bought up with....I thought most bands had a great record.....Mott the Hoople 'Roll away the Stone'.....Rolling Stones 'Paint it Black'....yet wrote' Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'....loved the Beatles Abbey Road...I was a Teddy boy in Brighton and to me it was Elvis,Little Richard,Buddy Holly,Roy Orbinson and many others of that era.....not everyones taste now but hey....I enjoyed that era of music....and now...love Classical music.....funny how taste change.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i voted no, but then thought "who is". i prefer Kinks or Stones tracks myself. everyone has a opinions, based on favorite styles or an album. but really isnt it quite close between all those bands of the 60's? each did something new, created a great album. they were influenced by as much as they influenced their peers, didnt Brian Wilson say he wouldnt have done some best work without listening to them? i think in the end the Beatles win by a nose because they moved music on over their life span, their popularity dragged alot of people into likly alot of other stuff that might of gone by the wayside.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I love the Beatles - Revolver is one of the great albums of all time. However given a choice I would rather and more pertinently do listen a lot more to the Stones, Bowie & The Clash. Out of recent artist I would say Radiohead who are my favourite band live and on record. They have produced four of the best albums I've ever listened to in - In Rainbows, OK Computer, Kid A & The Bends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here