Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Argus printing NSC rumours?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Some may object to this I personally do not see a problem in the owner using his own firm to build the stadium.

Except that it can be used as a method of taking money out of a related company by excessive pricing. I have seen this when auditing property rental agencies where the director also runs the maintenance company. I'm not a fan of those type of arrangements as there is usually only one winner.

Anyway I don't think Adenstar are man enough to build the whole thing only some elements of the whole project.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
BensGrandad said:

The major problem as some may see it is the possible conflict of interest in DC being Chairman/Owner of BHA and Adenstar building Falmer. Some may object to this I personally do not see a problem in the owner using his own firm to build the stadium.

It is a significant conflict of interest.

1. The public bodies to whom the Albion are appoaching for funding would be reluctant to give money (albeit indirectly) to one of the directors of the club.

2. What happens if the project runs over time and budgeted cost? Chapman is hardly likely to sue his own company for the overrun.

3. If the club ask the fans to support the stadium cost via buy-a-brick or similar ventures, some fans will be put off as they will see it as money being siphoned off to Adenstar

Last edited:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Adenstar are only intended to be a sub contractor re part of the works re Falmer.

They have paid £500k for the option of doing this; subject to a "competitive tender" type process

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
ac gull said:
Adenstar are only intended to be a sub contractor re part of the works re Falmer.

They have paid £500k for the option of doing this; subject to a "competitive tender" type process

Quite. Surely the stadium is such a size and cost that any contracts will have to follow normal EU competition rules for any public money involved; won't they?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
El Presidente said:
2. What happens if the project runs over time and budgeted cost?

I think we can take that as a cert :lol:

Edward Scissorhands said:
Now that is good news...Lets hope he can win Knight round.

Bye bye Magoo :wave:

And if you can't? ??? Bye bye Dick Knight?

Would you want Dick Knight ousted as that seems to be the boardroom games being played now! :glare: :glare:

I hope Derek Chapman is thinking through what's he's doing here otherwise he could very quickly become the big story.

Edward Scissorhands

Feb 20, 2005
London Irish said:
And if you can't? ??? Bye bye Dick Knight?

If I can't what?

Would you want Dick Knight ousted as that seems to be the boardroom games being played now! :glare: :glare:

No, but Dick will soon see sense when we're struggling next season because of Magoo's ineptness. (is that a word?)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
let's be realistic here, there are those who say that DK runs the place like a dictatorship and nobody else has a say.

The fact here that other investors are having a say should make all the anti DK people happy. It should also make the pro DK people happy too as it shows that the club is strong enough to have these debates.

I personally think McGhee should go - but this whole episode goes to prove that we are far more of a democratic club than the BGs of this world would have us believe. Up until now he has said that McGhee would be sacked to cover DKs arse. How does he feel now that he sees that DK would like to stand by him but it is others who want a change of manager?

I certainly dont see this as a DK under threat time - more that within a board made up of fans, there is a difference of opinion. Just like NSC those differences will be debated.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Okay guys. Let's suggest another scenario to the debate 'should McGhee stay or go?'

Let's suppose that somebody like Dean Wilkins is disillusioned with our manager, and is being invited for the second time to join a former Albion manager. Who should go, McGhee or Wilkins? Just supposing like.

I have had an opinion about McGhee's tenure, but I have sat on the fence where NSC is concerned. Should this scenario become fact, I would have no hesitation in coming off the fence.

I would be urging the Albion board to come up with 250K to end McGhee's contract. McGhee is dispensible. Wilkins isn't.

Dean has revolutionised the set up of the youth system at Brighton, and I am aware that a major input has been from Martin Hinshelwood. They took over an absolute shambles and turned it into one of the best football youth set ups in the country.

Dean has made Hove his home town since he left Holland. His wife, and kids who were born and raised here are devoted Albion fans. The late lovely man, Karen's father also became a devoted Albion fan, even though he used to be a QPR stalwart. The family go to every home match and have the blue and white stripes running through their veins.

The McGhees in football come and go. The Dean Wikins of this world pop up every so often like a gold nugget. If the board is ever faced with a choice of McGhee or Wilkins, it has to be Dean. To lose him would be worse than our recent relegation.

Dean Wilkins is the future of Brighton and Hove Albion, or he should be.

nobody's dupe said:
Okay guys. Let's suggest another scenario to the debate 'should McGhee stay or go?'

Let's suppose that somebody like Dean Wilkins is disillusioned with our manager, and is being invited for the second time to join a former Albion manager. Who should go, McGhee or Wilkins? Just supposing like.

I have had an opinion about McGhee's tenure, but I have sat on the fence where NSC is concerned. Should this scenario become fact, I would have no hesitation in coming off the fence.

I would be urging the Albion board to come up with 250K to end McGhee's contract. McGhee is dispensible. Wilkins isn't.

Dean has revolutionised the set up of the youth system at Brighton, and I am aware that a major input has been from Martin Hinshelwood. They took over an absolute shambles and turned it into one of the best football youth set ups in the country.

Dean has made Hove his home town since he left Holland. His wife, and kids who were born and raised here are devoted Albion fans. The late lovely man, Karen's father also became a devoted Albion fan, even though he used to be a QPR stalwart. The family go to every home match and have the blue and white stripes running through their veins.

The McGhees in football come and go. The Dean Wikins of this world pop up every so often like a gold nugget. If the board is ever faced with a choice of McGhee or Wilkins, it has to be Dean. To lose him would be worse than our recent relegation.

What did you think of the incident after the FA cup youth game at Blackburn when Wilkins had to apologise to his players after his outburst over their performance? I understand the parents of some of the youth players were none too happy that evening.

Talented coach he may well be, but do you honestly think he is ready for the thousand-fold increase in pressures that managing the full adult squad would bring?

(And I accept it is not clear if you are calling for that, or merely that McGhee should be sacked at a cost of £250k and that Wilkins should be slotted somehow into the management team (as assistant?) to a new manager, whoever he would be.)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
nobody's dupe said:

:ohmy:

Surely there isn't even a question mark. McGhee has to go.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
ROSM said:
I personally think McGhee should go - but this whole episode goes to prove that we are far more of a democratic club than the BGs of this world would have us believe. Up until now he has said that McGhee would be sacked to cover DKs arse. How does he feel now that he sees that DK would like to stand by him but it is others who want a change of manager?

B]

That is not my view at all. I believe that MM is a scapegoat for the relegation and for DK failings in providing the cash to strengthen the side when it was obviously needed.

I believe that MM should remain as manager and at Christmas given either a bonus if we are in the top 3 of Div 1 or the sack if not. This isa view that I have expressed on here before. I also believe that he should be assisted by sacking BB and DW and allow him to bring in Archie Knox or whoever he wants as No 2. If he choses one of those 2 so be it, it is his choice unlike the present situation where he had to take them on if he wanted the job.

It is because of Dick Knight running the club as his and his alone that this may develope into a power struggle in the boardroom rather than to show how open the boardroom is.

It is fairly common knowledge that a director wanted to put more money in and obtain more shares but DK refused to allow it.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
BensGrandad said:

It is fairly common knowledge that a director wanted to put more money in and obtain more shares but DK refused to allow it.

You are a regular spreader of these rumours of "new investors". Who exactly is this? I think the expression is "Crap or get off the pot".

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
London Irish said:
What did you think of the incident after the FA cup youth game at Blackburn when Wilkins had to apologise to his players after his outburst over their performance? I understand the parents of some of the youth players were none too happy that evening.

Talented coach he may well be, but do you honestly think he is ready for the thousand-fold increase in pressures that managing the full adult squad would bring?

(And I accept it is not clear if you are calling for that, or merely that McGhee should be sacked at a cost of £250k and that Wilkins should be slotted somehow into the management team (as assistant?) to a new manager, whoever he would be.)

A manager or coach who hasn't upset people hasn't been born yet and his mother is dead, but I wasn't making any suggestions as to Dean's future role at the club. That's up to the board.

I could see him being first team coach with a proper continental style director of football installed. I've no idea how he would feel about that.

The scenario I was contemplating was where the board has to make up its mind, McGhee or Wikins? In my mind there is no contest. Every effort should be made to keep Dean. If that's at the expense of Mark, so be it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here