Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are people on this forum wrong in the head?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
There is nothing more tragic about a set of fans than when they hate a club who don't feel the same way back.

I grew up hating Palace, my brother grew up hating Pompey. There was a brief spell of hatred towards Orient, largely down to a desire for a rival while Palace and Pompey were off in the distance too far to be playing them. But Southampton? Oh please, who cares about them, really? Pompey, and that's that.

If anything, my enemy's enemy is my friend. So based on their rivalry with Pompey, then we should quite like Saints shouldn't we?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This. The muppets on here trying to create some kind of rivalry with Saints just makes us look tin pot.

It's the same morons that think we've got some kind of 'beef' with Leeds and Charlton (but for some reason suck up to Millwall).
I would also claim that for years the so-called rivalry with Palace made us look tinpot as they were so much bigger and better than us - a bit like Leeds. As you say some of the anti-Leeds stuff on here was just embarrassing. Personally I've always hated Southampton more than anyone so I'm pleased to see they're now a legitimate target. And they are at least neighbours.

Also I agree with the OP, what's the difference between being 'arrogant' and 'optimistic'? Southampton fans say they're going to win the league and they're arrogant twats. Brighton fans say we're going to win the league and they're just being 'passionate' or 'optimistic' - and let's have no defeatist talk that we might have to go up via the play-offs.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I agree that it is a little hypocritical to call be calling Saints fans arrogant with the way some Albion fans carry on...But then again, I am all for arrogance and with the position we are in and the way we are playing we have almost earned the right to be cocky.

This.

Arrogance is essential. If you can't convince yourself you're the best how are you going to convince anyone else.

In this case, we think we're the best in the league, and the Stains think they are.

The ONLY difference is that we're right and they're wrong....

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I thought the difference was that we arent the ones saying Southampton don't deserve to be where they are but they are saying we don't deserve to be where we were.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This.

Arrogance is essential. If you can't convince yourself you're the best how are you going to convince anyone else.

In this case, we think we're the best in the league, and the Stains think they are.

The ONLY difference is that we're right and they're wrong....
I agree there's nothing wrong in us saying "we're the best!", fans always say that, it's when people laugh/complain/moan that other fans feel precisely the way they do as if we had a monopoly on 'belief'.

Can't we call them 'deluded fools' rather than 'arrogant twats'?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To me it seems like they are saying we're(Brighton) shit and don't deserve to be top.

Agreed, that's the way I read it. I don't expect automatic promotion but I hope for it, however I am not denigrating SCC just the attitude of some of their fans.attitrude

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have said before (for anyone that cares to read) that there is nothing wrong with a little friendly rivalry when the two best teams are slugging it out for the title... be it Carlisle or Southampton. However I agree 100% with the OP that we are totally hypocritical in calling Stains arrogant when we show the same amount, if not more arrogance than those SCC people. Stick with the friendly league rivalry, that is much more fun.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I don't hate Southampton - I just feel very happy and deservedly smug that after half of the season we have beaten them - despite all of their 6 million £ signings and obvious financial advantages - We must really be stealing their thunder and I don't see anything wrong with enjoying this moment whether it lasts or not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here