Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Macs really that great?

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Just In general I see alot of people on here who own apple products. One of the products I have never tried due to cost Is an apple Macintosh/Mac computer. But my question Is Are they that great? Also If so Does anyone know where I could get a "Cheap" Old one just to test. I use cheap lightly as Macs command a high price no matter the age.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I love mine, I'd never go back to a Windows computer now. So easy to use, so straightforward, no dicking around with drivers, no hardware clashes, blue screens of death - everything just WORKS.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
In all seriousness, the answer is yes. I used to be a die-hard PC user defiant to use any apple products, bought a Mac to try something new and it is brilliant. Obviously the price is outrageous, but the benefits are worth it. The OS runs better, the machine will last longer (by that i mean if you aren't that tech savvy a windows PC will only last a certain amount of time before its f***ed and has to be repaired/replaced).

also they look f***ing nice

/edit, also should note that i still use a windows laptop and it is the most frustrating thing in the world. once you go mac you'll never go back.

/edit, also if you are looking for a 'cheap' mac, try either ebay (bit dodgy) or the refurbished section on the apple store website, they are still expensive but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than brand new. also, if you know anybody in university or higher education you can get a pretty hefty discount too.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I love mine, I'd never go back to a Windows computer now. So easy to use, so straightforward, no dicking around with drivers, no hardware clashes, blue screens of death - everything just WORKS.

I myself haven't been a winedows user for about a year or so. Linux has become my choice to be honest. I just wanted to know more I suppose about the Mac and to possibly somehow own someday. Even if It's just an old barebones Unit

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
They look stylish - no huge bulky towers lurking around. Even the packaging is sexy - and the guys in the apple shop are really helpful - would never go back

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
In all seriousness, the answer is yes. I used to be a die-hard PC user defiant to use any apple products, bought a Mac to try something new and it is brilliant. Obviously the price is outrageous, but the benefits are worth it. The OS runs better, the machine will last longer (by that i mean if you aren't that tech savvy a windows PC will only last a certain amount of time before its f***ed and has to be repaired/replaced).

also they look f***ing nice

/edit, also should note that i still use a windows laptop and it is the most frustrating thing in the world. once you go mac you'll never go back.

/edit, also if you are looking for a 'cheap' mac, try either ebay (bit dodgy) or the refurbished section on the apple store website, they are still expensive but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than brand new. also, if you know anybody in university or higher education you can get a pretty hefty discount too.

I was thinking about going back to education. Maybe It's something to look into.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
the machine will last longer (by that i mean if you aren't that tech savvy a windows PC will only last a certain amount of time before its f***ed and has to be repaired/replaced).

What a load of shit. Steve Jobs really can brainwash people into believing anything can't he :lol:

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
You get what you pay for. Better screen, hardware and the OS is more user friendly and looks nicer than Windows. Until you have owned one it is hard to appreciate the benefits.I still use my macbook everyday. It is over 5 yrs old and has not been upgraded at all.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can't believe this thread has got so far without Frank or MYOB slaughtering them.

I have two iMacs, MacBook Pro, MacBook and iPad, so put me in the maybe category.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
What a load of shit. Steve Jobs really can brainwash people into believing anything can't he :lol:

Well, no.

I have a 2002 iMac which still runs perfectly smooth and has never required any sort of maintenence/defrag/system restore. Runs as quickly (obviously struggles with things like flash but for everything else is fine), I gave it to my parents friends and they find it so much easier to use than their newer windows PC.

I also have a 2009 iMac which still runs exceptionally as compared to my laptop of the same year which is an utter shithouse piece of equipment now.

also i do realise it is possible to keep a windows computer in the same condition, it just requires a hell of a lot more effort than it does with a mac, which requires no effort on the users behalf to keep it in tip top shape.

Feb 14, 2010
no idea as i know sod all about computers but they are easy to use and most important for me, i can pop up west end to the apple store and they will sort any problems out / teach you how to do things.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Simple answer, no.
So easy to use, so straightforward, no dicking around with drivers, no hardware clashes, blue screens of death - everything just WORKS.
Except software. I've had my overclocked PC for 18 months and since setting it up it has never had a BSOD, or any other problem. And it runs everything, games, small shareware programs (eg a nice and fast camera tethering program, slideshow sortware etc)and the like that don't run on a mac.

I chose the iPad over the Android, as the Android just isn't up to it yet. And Macs have their place - the Mac air is so small it's lovely, and the Macbook pro is also quality (beautifully made), but they come with such a hefty premium they aren't for me. They're good for those that a) can afford them, b)don't like faffing with OS drivers etc c) don't need to run any software they fancy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here