Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are gigs getting quieter these days?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My Bloody Valentine's 25 minutes of one-chord feedback last year was quite an earbleeder. Remember the floor afterwards was covered in as many abandoned earplugs as shattered plastic pint glasses...

Here's a Guardian review:

"People seem excited, rather than concerned, about the fact that tonight, 16 years on from their last tour, earplugs are being handed out on the door. This turns out to be more than affectation. The mix renders Shields' vocals completely inaudible, removing the keen sense of melody that made My Bloody Valentine's records so simultaneously appealing and disturbing: there are fantastic tunes lurking beneath the fog of guitars, but you would have no idea on the basis of tonight's show.

It is a major loss, but what is left is still overwhelming. The churning chord sequences happen at such volume, it is literally impossible to remain unmoved: your body physically shakes with every note. Performing essentially the same set as on their final tour, the band appear to have been preserved in amber for the last 16 years. The members look exactly the same: a veritable advert for the invigorating properties of doing virtually nothing. Shields and fellow guitarist/vocalist Belinda Butcher stand motionless and impassive, while bassist Debbie Googe and drummer Colm O'Ciosoig are a relative blur of activity.

The night ends with You Made Me Realise, the 1988 single that famously contains 40 seconds of screaming noise instead of a middle-eight. Tonight, it lasts 20 minutes: if you tentatively remove an earplug, it is like being punched in the side of the head.

Afterwards, the audience lurch out of the venue, shellshocked. It is hard not to feel that some of My Bloody Valentine's essence has been trampled. But on volume alone, it is equally hard not to feel that the reality has lived up to the myth."

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My Bloody Valentine's 25 minutes of one-chord feedback last year was quite an earbleeder. Remember the floor afterwards was covered in as many abandoned earplugs as shattered plastic pint glasses...

Here's a Guardian review:

"People seem excited, rather than concerned, about the fact that tonight, 16 years on from their last tour, earplugs are being handed out on the door. This turns out to be more than affectation. The mix renders Shields' vocals completely inaudible, removing the keen sense of melody that made My Bloody Valentine's records so simultaneously appealing and disturbing: there are fantastic tunes lurking beneath the fog of guitars, but you would have no idea on the basis of tonight's show.

It is a major loss, but what is left is still overwhelming. The churning chord sequences happen at such volume, it is literally impossible to remain unmoved: your body physically shakes with every note. Performing essentially the same set as on their final tour, the band appear to have been preserved in amber for the last 16 years. The members look exactly the same: a veritable advert for the invigorating properties of doing virtually nothing. Shields and fellow guitarist/vocalist Belinda Butcher stand motionless and impassive, while bassist Debbie Googe and drummer Colm O'Ciosoig are a relative blur of activity.

The night ends with You Made Me Realise, the 1988 single that famously contains 40 seconds of screaming noise instead of a middle-eight. Tonight, it lasts 20 minutes: if you tentatively remove an earplug, it is like being punched in the side of the head.

Afterwards, the audience lurch out of the venue, shellshocked. It is hard not to feel that some of My Bloody Valentine's essence has been trampled. But on volume alone, it is equally hard not to feel that the reality has lived up to the myth."

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Yes, if you see two bob bands such as the 'rakes'.

Diana Ross would get that place rocking. :rave:

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I saw Saxon last night in the not too massive Forum and they filled the place with their delicate refrains :clap:

The first support band were loud, the second louder, and come the main event, it was turned up to eleven!

PS I went to see Bryan Adams at The Centre a few years ago with my sister, and we were chatting about/during the gig, and this bloke asked us to keep the noise down!! Couldn't believe my ears...

Jan 30, 2008
I was at the Concorde on Tuesday to see the Rakes and, good as it was, the sound levels came quite close to ruining the show for me. Towards the back of the room you could have a conversation quite comfortably and at the front you hardly had to raise your voice to be heard. I've noticed recently that some shows seem quieter than they did a couple of years ago.

What's going on?
errrrrrrrrrrrr your deaf??

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I went to Ultravox at the Dome last night and that was loud, perhaps because most of us were deaf 40+ years old so they had to make sure we could all hear properly! You had to shout to the person next to you to have a conversation and we were towards the back of the stalls.

Bat for Lashes last week was also pretty decent sound at the Corn Exchange, even if the atmosphere was slightly less then a mid season match at Withdean!

Loudest gig I ever went to was the Prodigy at the Brighton centre a few years back, the doors were bouncing open with the baseline/drum beats and I was pretty much deaf when I left the place and for a few hours afterwards! The worst was Springsteen at the Emirates, way way too quiet, spoiled the gig - would never go to that place for a gig again - come to think of it not seen seen any advertised since that gig - perhaps as its in a residential area and too many restrictions they have decided its not a suitable venue!

The last gig I saw at the Concorde was the Levellers and I thought the sound was reasonably loud, but not particularly great in quality.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
PS I went to see Bryan Adams at The Centre a few years ago with my sister, and we were chatting about/during the gig, and this bloke asked us to keep the noise down!!

If you were 'chatting' during a gig, they had every right to have you taken out and shot. People who insist on 'chatting' while the music is on are the scum of the earth.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I saw The Rasmus in Concorde a couple of weeks ago and left the place deaf, so I can't agree gigs are getting quieter.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
If you were 'chatting' during a gig, they had every right to have you taken out and shot. People who insist on 'chatting' while the music is on are the scum of the earth.

It was quite good in that the bloke in question's missus started to chat to him a bit later and it gave me real satisfaction to tap her on the shoulder and ask her to keep the noise down :p

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was down there till 6am for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, it certainly wasn't quiet. Don't think they really have any neighbours as it's below road level... Not as loud as digital though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here