Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are gigs getting quieter these days?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was at the Concorde on Tuesday to see the Rakes and, good as it was, the sound levels came quite close to ruining the show for me. Towards the back of the room you could have a conversation quite comfortably and at the front you hardly had to raise your voice to be heard. I've noticed recently that some shows seem quieter than they did a couple of years ago.

What's going on?

Mar 13, 2008
Nope, the Metallica gig I went to last week was one of the loudest I have been to.

The reason maybe that the Concorde is right next to some flats (correct me if I am wrong, I have never been there) and maybe not have the right level of soundproofing.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Chappers. Like WCS, I think that it's the area the Concorde is in. the Bib & Tucker has been a pub for what 150 years, and some of the neighbors still complain about the noise, although a church mouse could set up a cosy quiet home in there.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hmm, it's never been as quiet as it was the other night. They have huge club nights on there that run into the early hours that MUST be louder than any band. I couldn't tell you how loud they are because i'm getting old and can only go clubbing once a month.

Lush

Mods' Pet
More likely to be people suing for damage to ears. Hence the signs that have started appearing outside gigs saying that loud noise can damage your hearing.

In my day, it wasn't a good gig if you didn't wake up the next morning with a high pitched screeeeee noise in your ears.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
More likely to be people suing for damage to ears. Hence the signs that have started appearing outside gigs saying that loud noise can damage your hearing.

In my day, it wasn't a good gig if you didn't wake up the next morning with a high pitched screeeeee noise in your ears.

Hawkwind, 1983, Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall....Deaf for thee days. Smashing!:lol:

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
I was at the Concorde on Tuesday to see the Rakes and, good as it was, the sound levels came quite close to ruining the show for me. Towards the back of the room you could have a conversation quite comfortably and at the front you hardly had to raise your voice to be heard. I've noticed recently that some shows seem quieter than they did a couple of years ago.

What's going on?

I was just in front of the Tech desk on Tuesday and thought the vocal was a bit quiet to start with .. but the engineer seemed to rectify it pretty quickly.

I was more disappointed with the turn out ... Thought it would definitely sell out. I still enjoyed it immensely though ... 'The Light from Your Mac' is my new FAVE song :thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, it wasn't that busy eh? I suppose it was a Tuesday though, never a great day to go out.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

When it got to that stage, I found that it was always best to make my excuses and go home.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

What's going on?

That surprises me, played all over England and whenever we play Concorde2 it's always one of the loudest places we play.

Also when I've seen bands there it's always been booming, I went to see a band called Mutemath there couple of years back and the synth/bass was GENUINELY painful, it rattled right through you.

But regarding the Rakes gig every band has their own set of levels and it depends on the sound engineer as to what he's happy with as well, so I'm sure it varies night from night.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep they're just not loud enough these daze! I reckon it's down to modern bands just not being able to cut it at high volumes... the louder it is, the shitter you can sound!

Or am I just too olde school? if it doesn't hurt your ears then turn it the f*** up I say.

ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!

YouTube - Spinal Tap Heavy Duty

No light fantastic ever crosses my mind,
That meditation stuff can make you go blind,
Just crank that volume to the point of pain,
Why waste good music on a brain?

Heavy, Duty,
Heavy duty rock and roll,
Heavy duty,
Brings out the duty in my soul...

I see you dancing there in front of the band,
You're playin' the solos with no guitar in your hand,
I don't pull no punches I wouldn't waste your time,
And just cause it pays, that ain't no crime...

Heavy, duty,
Heavy duty,

Don't need a woman,
I won't take me no wife,
I get the rock and roll and that'll be my life,
No page in history baby- that, I don't need,
I just want to make some eardrums bleed...

Heavy, duty
Heavy duty rock and roll
Heavy duty

"My solos, are my trademark..."

F'ing genius!

Kosh

Last edited:

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
How was the gig then?

Couldn't make it myself due to work but I like The Rakes, even if the third album is a bit rubbish.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yep they're just not loud enough these daze! I reckon it's down to modern bands just not being able to cut it at high volumes... the louder it is, the shitter you can sound!

Or am I just too olde school? if it doesn't hurt your ears then turn it the f*** up I say.

ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!

YouTube - Spinal Tap Heavy Duty

No light fantastic ever crosses my mind,
That meditation stuff can make you go blind,
Just crank that volume to the point of pain,
Why waste good music on a brain?

Heavy, Duty,
Heavy duty,

I see you dancing there in front of the band,
You're playin' the solos with no guitar in your hand,
I don't pull no punches I wouldn't waste your time,
And just cause it pays, that ain't no crime...

Heavy, duty,
Heavy duty,

Don't need a woman,
I won't take me no wife,
I get the rock and roll and that'll be my life,
No page in history baby- that, I don't need,
I just want to make some eardrums bleed...

Heavy, duty
Heavy duty rock and roll
Heavy duty

"My solos, are my trademark..."

F'ing genius!

Kosh

F'ing hilarious.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Check yer Guinness book of records mate.

It's the Purps, I'm afraid.

Or are you confusing loudest, with shitist?

80s crapbox B league disaster, indeed.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha errmmmm yeah.

Kosh

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Check yer Guinness book of records mate.

It's the Purps, I'm afraid.

Or are you confusing loudest, with shitist?

80s crapbox B league disaster, indeed.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha errmmmm yeah.

Kosh

Kosh you dingbat. He said the loudest gig HE'D been to.

Signing off...

Mellotron.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep, I know what he typed.

I was merely educating him, as to who possess the loudest band in the world (and beyond) accolade.

Deep Purple, you see, the Mighty Purps.

Kosh

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Chappers, maybe you are ageing in reverse (like the bloke in Time's Arrow or Benjamin Button).

Everyone else I know, including me, complains more about how loud music is, as they get older ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here