Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Engerlund better WITHOUT Terry and Lampard?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
They are all decent players and deserved the opportunity to represent their country. Any manager who wins the world cup has had to pick a formation and style of play that he wants his players to use and then picks the players to fill it.
Most teams have played a 4-4-2 as this has an adaquet goal threat and enough players at the back.
Capello needs to pick players that suit the formation and not adapt the formation to his favourite players, Lampard & Gerrard doesn't work as neither of them are willing to drop deep and break up the oppositions attacks.
Lampard and Terry are both good enough to play but they need to compliment their team mates not get in their way

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
They are all decent players and deserved the opportunity to represent their country. Any manager who wins the world cup has had to pick a formation and style of play that he wants his players to use and then picks the players to fill it.

I disagree. IMO the best managers look at their available players and pick the formation that best suits the majority of players.

ChapManiA

Banned
Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill, West-Sussex
It's a shame Milner got booked last night and will miss the next game. Against the Swiss he showed what a great engine he has by tracking back many times to help out/cover for Cashley. You need players like Milner for the games where England may be on the backfoot for periods of the game. It's now all too easy for Fabio to bring Lampard straight back in, and push Gerrard out wide (square peg, round hole).

I'd also like to echo the 'best team' sentiment over best players.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Cappello would like to leave out Terry but this may be contingent upon Ferdinand being fit.

It's amazing that all of Ferdinand, Terry, King, Woodgate and Dawson were unavailable last night.

I still think we're one central defender light and I'm not convinced Dawson or Lescott are up to the job - Upson certainly isn't, Ferdinand's injury lay-off and his age is counting against him.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Simply yes.
Gerrard plays better without Lampard and I think is a far better player.
Terry has too much influence and not in a good way. Read a bit about A. Cole getting forward more because Terry wasn't there shouting at him to stay back (no doubt to do his running) and thought Cole was superb over the two games. Terry doesn't have the pace to deal with international football either.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I think England look a much better side without them. As we all know Gerrard and Lampard can't play together but Gerrard has leadership skills,where as Lampard just goes missing in an England shirt.

John Terry seems to have a negative influence on his team mates and with players such as Dawson, Jagielka and Lescott around seems surplus to requirements.

However I still think they will be straight back in the squad next time.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The problem is we don't have world class players, sure they play well as a team but against stronger opposition we'd roll over, currently I'm concerned about:
Milner
Glen Johnson
SWP
Carrick
Bent
Crouch
Hart
Lescott
Jagielka

Sure they have time to get better but they're just not would class yet.

A bit like USA and Ghana then? ???

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Terry is extraordinarily overrated anyway.

The commentators see him sticking his thick head in where it hurts every so often and lumping a few clearances and conclude he's the new Bobby Moore, when in reality he's slow, agricultural and has the turning circle of an oil tanker.

A depressing but classic reflection on English football sometimes when we rate effort and perceived passion over style or ability.
You forgot to say that Terry is a thug - explains why England are a better/happier TEAM without him.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whereas "GBH Gerrard" - captain of England - is not a thug?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Gerrard is far better in the middle and far better then Lampard, so in my opinion Lampard should stay out of the team

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
gerrard has been fantastic in the last few games - cant think why

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The bottom lin is that behind the scenes nobody has a clue which players majorly affect the group dynamic... It's all speculation re the likes of JT - just cos a lot of people dislike him cos it said he's a twat in The Sun... :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here