Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Caole and Frutos REALLY any good?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Mickey Adams seemed to rate them. Not only did he highlight those two as players he had instructed his team to watch, he also subbed a forward for a defender (Whing) to take Carole out of the game. Sadly it worked because with two defenders marking him Carole couldn't get much service through to our forwards.

Frutos seems to have got a bit stronger as well. The goal he set up against Southampton came after he powered past two Saints players and he gave an almighty shove to a Coventry player on Saturday that sent the bloke flying into the hoardings.

Didn't Iain Dowie rate those two after our two games against them?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
They've got a lot of ability, but some way to go. Frutos is the more complete player at the moment, I think, but is defensively naive. Carole is a bit of a foot-dangler, but more concerning is his crossing, which is invariably disappointing. Still, an awful lot of good things about them.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ernest said:
With Carole it is the Emperors new clothes syndrome , someone says he is class and everyone else except the voice of freedom that is ERNEST agrees.

I agree to with Ernests ARS :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

London Irish said:

Frustrating, yes, but we are only highlighting this because our forwards can't score.

If Magoo could actually COACH our players then we would be half way up the league. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Carole flatters to decieve but is very skillful. Fruity is defensively naive but for my money the more complete and direct player. I'm not sure if you can play with both. I think it is possible if you have two strong defensive FB like El-Abd and play the midfield and forwards like this

-----Centre Mid----Centre Mid-----
Carole-------------------------Frutos
--------------CKR----------------------
-----------------Tolley-----------------

But with a more conventional 4-4-2 they are a bit of a luxury.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Rest assured that if you flog one, and keep the other, the one you keep will turn out to be the wrong one, and the good one will escape.

This rule -- originally discovered in its application to girlfriends and their flatmates -- is also a law of nature in sports.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Carole is one of our best players at the club, works hard. Takes a man on. the only problem I have with Carole is that he always checks in, instead of out and taking the man down the line and finding a cross. He seems to do alittle to much. IMO.

Frutos works hard, passes the ball well and attacks his man well. The only problem with Frutos is that he can't defend very well, and always looks very vulnerable down the left wing. IMO.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Frutos is more direct than Carole in the sense that he heads for the byline line old fashioned wingers used to... they are both good in patches, but then so is Ryan Giggs!...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Both Carole and Frutos have played their full part in deceiving the opposition into thinking the Albion have had some sort of attacking game plan this season. Proof of the pudding was probably that nobody came in for either of them in the January transfer window. But they're playing their hearts out, doing their bit, and that's all you can ask really.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't know about can't cross. I've seen Frutos put in a number of very decent crosses - whipped in, invite the keeper and bend away at the last moment. The only problem is that nobody has been on the end of them - from our team anyway. For that reason alone I think that MM will pick Frutos on Saturday - probably for Hart.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I rate Frutos, he is direct, can cross, uses the ball well and I think in time will improve his defensive abilities, he certainly puts in the effort.

Carole is very talented but there is no end product, or at least rarely. If MM could get him to be more tactically astute he would be great, I don't think his crossing will improve but he may start to run at people and release the ball at the right time rather than keeping it for to long and going up his own arse.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Les Biehn said:
I rate Frutos, he is direct, can cross, uses the ball well and I think in time will improve his defensive abilities, he certainly puts in the effort.

Carole is very talented but there is no end product, or at least rarely. If MM could get him to be more tactically astute he would be great, I don't think his crossing will improve but he may start to run at people and release the ball at the right time rather than keeping it for to long and going up his own arse.

Spot on.... i believe Frutos is a proper winger who looks to get beyond the defender and get a cross in.... have seen many a cross fly across the box with no one on the end of it. Carole i would compare to Fernandes who used to play for Southampton..... bags of ability can go past players but when he does he seems to want to check past them and try and beat them again, when he should run at goal or supply a cross

Amazing then that Seb is still leading the way for goal assists this season. Not bad for a player with no end product, eh?

Seb is a gem of a player, he has had his injury problems recently and wasn't really suited to the mudbath against Luton or the 4-3-3 of Saturday, but now that the pitches will be firming up again, he will come back strongly for us :clap:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Amazing then that Seb is still leading the way for goal assists this season. Not bad for a player with no end product, eh?

Seb is a gem of a player, he has had his injury problems recently and wasn't really suited to the mudbath against Luton or the 4-3-3 of Saturday, but now that the pitches will be firming up again, he will come back strongly for us :clap:

So creative they are playing in a team that is rooted in the bottom three and in a system that you are more likely to see a dodo than a win.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For all those that say about either of them's defensive duties, I would mention the utterly dreadful performance that was Luton away, where Seb Carole was just about the only non-defender tracking back, marking and tackling. It shows what he can do when he it is part of his responsibilities.

He takes his defensive duties a lot more seriously than Fruty, who can be a liability (look at the QPR goal at Loftus Road), but can also get stuck in. Generally, though, he does leave the left-back exposed.

Going forward, both have flair, skill and a positive attitude, and we are still to get the best out of them?

In answer to the poser's question at the top of the thread, it's YES for both of them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here