Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Brighton a division above where a club our current size should really be?

Are Brighton playing a Division higher than where a club our current size should be?

• Yes, we should realistically be in Div 1

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • No, we should be Championship or Premier League

Votes: 22 32.4%

• Total voters

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I am delighted that we are where we are. Obviously would love us to be doing even better.

But let's be realistic and count our blessings rather than keep whingeing and moaning and shouting for MM to go.

Lets be honest and say 'This is unbelieveable for a club in our position (8,000 capacity, Skint etc), we have a manager with a good name, and we are playing a division above where we really should be.

Look at some of the clubs below us who really are bigger (facility wise) than us...Bristol City, Forest, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Walsall, Swansea and going even further down...Wycombe, Notts County, Oxford etc etc.

I just remember the Hereford day very well and think we should all be very grateful to be where we are not moaning all the time.

But what do you think?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Until we get Falmer we probably are. :(

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Withdean and I said:
I am delighted that we are where we are. Obviously would love us to be doing even better.

But let's be realistic and count our blessings rather than keep whingeing and moaning and shouting for MM to go.

Lets be honest and say 'This is unbelieveable for a club in our position (8,000 capacity, Skint etc), we have a manager with a good name, and we are playing a division above where we really should be.

Look at some of the clubs below us who really are bigger (facility wise) than us...Bristol City, Forest, Huddersfield, Barnsley, Walsall, Swansea and going even further down...Wycombe, Notts County, Oxford etc etc.

I just remember the Hereford day very well and think we should all be very grateful to be where we are not moaning all the time.

But what do you think?

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Re: Re: Are Brighton a division above where a club our current size should really be?

Bromley shrimp said:

Should be able to hold our own in Div 2...just, but then again we should have more people prepared to grin & bear Withdean and fill it out whilst Falmer's being worked towards, which we're not. So whether it's the ground or fickleness the answer's the same.

Proof - 4 seasons Div 1 and av. gate of 22,000 + '77/78 when we missed out on promotion to Spurs after the infamous last season game at the Dell.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
ok, who voted that we should be where we are???

you left no comments explaining how you came to your decision.

it's surely not possible.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you look at the cumulative league table of all the 92 clubs we're about halfway so where we are is representative.

However, it doesn't work that big clubs fill the top 2 divisions and small clubs the bottom 2 divisions, and never has done.

We shouldn't think that because we've got no assets we don't belong in this division, tell that to Crewe and Rotherham before them, and Grimsby before them etc etc.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I dunno why you come to that conclusion, we got here on merit because he have (had?) superior team spirit and organisation compared to other clubs in League 1.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
given our resources we're higher than we should be

given our stubborness, support and downright cheeck on occaisiones, we're where we should be !

I've never really considered us to be a 'big' club, although I'm not entirely sure how you define one, but we're not a city sized club, just a largeish town. an albion if you like :p

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
DAMANCLAY said:
We shouldn't be in this league, Simple as that.

Why? We won the right to play in this division and did enough last year to remain in it. League position is about performances on the pitch, not ground facilities, money, etc. If that was the case, our rightful position would be the Conference.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In terms of infrastructure we are a Conference side. Why aren't we? Well I'm sure you can all answer that question - even if some have to think about it a bit harder than others.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
No club is meant to be in any division.

We are here because we were promoted and stayed up.

END OF.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
zefarelly said:
given our resources we're higher than we should be

given our stubborness, support and downright cheeck on occaisiones, we're where we should be !

I've never really considered us to be a 'big' club, although I'm not entirely sure how you define one, but we're not a city sized club, just a largeish town. an albion if you like :p

Given our support?

We like to think that we only get the gates we do because of the size of the ground, but I'm seeing plenty of empty seats at some games. Maybe, just maybe, (and I will whisper) we don't have the number of fans we like to think we have.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Gritt23 said:
Given our support?

We like to think that we only get the gates we do because of the size of the ground, but I'm seeing plenty of empty seats at some games. Maybe, just maybe, (and I will whisper) we don't have the number of fans we like to think we have.

The problem is people don't want to buy tickets weeks in advance for a roofless "stadium" as the weather might be atrocious come match day. If it had a roof we'd probably sell out, and for the first season at Falmer I reckon we'll have fairly high number of people turn up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here