Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Albion genuinely in danger of being in a relegation battle next season in your opinion

Are Albion genuinely in danger of being in a relegation battle next season

• Total voters

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
How on this Earth can anyone suggest we're in relegation danger after the last two season's we've had? I'm sure this is just a fishing exercise but I have to say this and unearthed historic threads are becoming tedious.
To be fair in the second half of the season we were fourth bottom on points won. So it’s not such an outrageous question to be asked. In the first six games of the season we won 5 matches, in the remaining 32 we won 7. Replicate that come August and we may well go down.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Wouldn't be surprising if we were, but think its more likley we wont be.

Not sure if I should select the 3rd or 4th option, gone for fence.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To be fair in the second half of the season we were fourth bottom on points won. So it’s not such an outrageous question to be asked. In the first six games of the season we won 5 matches, in the remaining 32 we won 7. Replicate that come August and we may well go down.
That’s where I am. Injuries or not, momentum is key in sport, so a good start will be important

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Doubt it, although I'm not expecting us to be in the top half come the end of the season. We'll drop one day but don't think it will be next season, unless they really cock up on the managerial appointment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bit early? fwiw, reckon better position now than with DeZerbi, past few month form was terrible and we've got time to renew and rejuvenate.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Manchester City*, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Newcastle, Aston Villa and Liverpool are not in the danger of being in a relegation battle next season.

Bournemouth, Brighton, Brentford, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Ipswich, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, West Ham and Wolves are in danger of being in a relegation battle next season.

Quite simple, so far.
As for likeliness, we've never been more likely to stay up going into a season.

The Ipswich squad looks a lot worse than the Sheffield one last season and I think they can spend the £200m or so it would cost to give them a real chance of staying up. Southampton looks a little better.

Yet these two teams may still end up above some or all of the four teams in the "actually crisis"-category: Everton (FFP and horrible ownership situation), Wolves (thin squad, no money, FFP limited and wantaway owners), Nottingham (little FFP room and all of a sudden thin squad) and Leicester (newcomers with dire FFP situation). I don't see all of them getting their shit together enough to stay up.

As it stands I think we'll end up 8th-10th but lots can happen in the nearly 3 months until kickoff.

* well... who knows

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To all intents, we've had it.

Ipswich have a world class manager, Forest and Everton find ways to spend. Stains, Leicester and us are certs for the drop.

A sensible course would be to sell some players now whilst they have value, to build a warchest for our 2025/26 promotion campaign.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
if they get the next appointment wrong, of course we are. i do not think they will do that, however. as i see it, the three promoted teams will be the ones relegated again.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I would say a hell of a lot rests on 4 players. As it would for most teams. Complications with March and Mitoma's recovery, Dunk struggling and Gross leaving and we are bound to struggle.
But that feels quite pessimistic.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Manchester City*, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Newcastle, Aston Villa and Liverpool are not in the danger of being in a relegation battle next season.

Bournemouth, Brighton, Brentford, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Ipswich, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, West Ham and Wolves are in danger of being in a relegation battle next season.
Aren't you expecting Everton to make the new season?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Aren't you expecting Everton to make the new season?
Oops.
Well, they're really in their own category tbf...

The only reason they don't have a "club animal" tied to their identity is because cockroaches aren't very pretty.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Our mental fragility around the loss of RDZ and the fact it’s taking a few weeks to identify and get a successor in place says more about us fans than our squad of professional footballers.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Probably more disappointed that Potter never took the cups seriously at all, a quick exit from the FA Cup is all I can imagine, after he rings the changes, RDZ definitely shifted perspective on that.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
with present squad Yes. Also Yes if our additions are all 19/20 year olds who are bought to improve and sell on . Our 2 foreign youngsters are not yet PL standard. whilst very skillfull just keep running until get a shot in or most times lose the ball. Desperatly need an experienced no 10 that is up and ready.

Replacing manager has not been just a case of having somebody in mind and getting him. Hope it is not the same with players on rada but do worry who is there to make those decisions. plus decisions on deciding which loan players are good enough for the squad or to be released.
Its a mighty tough league and sorry to say think the 20-1 odds for relegation is good value for a betting person at present time.
Bloom rightly will always be beyond criticism and like me most will support whatever division we are in. However do think with £120m profit followed by good following year do think if we have a poor start and have not made some decent signings many who are just here because of our PL status will start moaning.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
If things start badly and don't get any better, then I would say that a perfect storm could result in relegation of any team outside of the big 6.

I would say that if we made a poor managerial appointment, failed to make any strong signings, sell one or two of our best players AND get another horrible season for injuries then we could get relegated. That would be a perfect storm for us.

However I think we'll choose the right man, hopefully Potter, and this season we will keep hold of most, if not all, of our best players. We'll probably strengthen a couple of positions too.

Prediction - Potter as manager and 8th place finish.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
if they get the next appointment wrong, of course we are. i do not think they will do that, however. as i see it, the three promoted teams will be the ones relegated again.
It completely depends on the appointment. We have a very good squad - and with players returning from injury we should be absolutely fine. But get the appointment wrong and who knows.

Do this poll after we've got a new manager!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
It would depend on so many things.... We make bad signings, we appoint a bad manager, our injury situation continues, or key players dont perform, then yes we could get relegated. But so the same could be said for about 13 teams in the league.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Impossible question to answer right now. We have no idea who the manager is going to be, nor if any important players are leaving, nor if any new players are coming in.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
We're always in danger, until we're not in danger... pretty much as we've always been...

I guess... The beginning of last season was the first time in our PL years that I felt ultra confident we wouldn't be embroiled in a near relegation battle... the Roberto hubris swept me away, and my sense of entitlement grew like a mushroom in the damp shade of an autumnal glade... the reality of winter bit me hard, and I was reduced to a rather sad looking thing... until at last I was gone to earth...

This time around ?

Banking on all three newly promoted teams being relegated again, seems at odds with the reality of fate... I can't see it happening twice - I suspect one of our midtable comrades is for the chop, and that could easily be us... However, a good coach and a better season on the injury front then we'll be okay. We are in transition though, the glory days of Gross and Dunk are now entering their autumn and if we're to avoid a bitter winter then we need to ambitious yet pragmatic in equal measure...

Let's not get all doomy and gloomy, there is time to steady the ship and ensure we have a strong enough showing this coming season :)

Keep the faith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here