Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Albion genuinely in danger of being in a relegation battle next season in your opinion

Are Albion genuinely in danger of being in a relegation battle next season

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Its hardly new territory for the Albion is it ? . We have few financial pressures compared to several clubs who will be forced to sell players this summer or limited in their purchases, we also have to reinvent the squad - every summer , what makes this season different ? , but of course dealing with Undav, Gross, Dahoud - and thats just the Germans or Bundesliga players ! is no different to dealing with replacing Bissouma, Trossard, McAllister, Sanchez, Murray , finding a striker, bringing through players from the u21s , looking for a Mitoma or an Enciso etc etc . We do it every season. Doesn't mean its not easy, doesn't mean there are big risks if we fail and doesn't mean its harder - for now - without a coach but then its the Albion . They're not bad at this are they ?
Having players come in without a coach is probably the thing that worries me least. Whoever it is will play technical, possession based football. We ain’t hiring Moyes.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Almost impossible to say so early on because we don't know who the manager and coaching staff will be, we don't know what departures and signings we'll make and we don't have a scooby what everyone else is doing either. Therefore, at this stage it's far too premature to be asking this question and must be marked down as attention seeking behaviour by the OP!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
And the point you suggest I am trying to prove? Are you really suggesting there is only one sensible option, the cop out one? :lolol:

No wonder you don’t like the poll, you must be disappointed it has over 500 responses.
How can you assess relative strengths when you don’t know who the coach and players are?

People voted for Brexit and bought Black Lace records.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
How can you assess relative strengths when you don’t know who the coach and players are?

People voted for Brexit and bought Black Lace records.
Exactly, it was to gauge current thoughts which will change once the season starts. I take it you think that this is a bad thing

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Yes, you're right. Transfermarkt has the date of transfer for those deals as 1 July because that's the date from which international deals can be confirmed.
Things will start to rev up a bit just before 30th June. I believe several teams need to off load players by that date to avoid Profit and Sustainability penalties.
So, it's thought that Chelsea, Leicester, Forest, Everton (and probably a few other clubs) will be needing to sell players while trying to convince everyone that they're not really under pressure ( Yeah, right!).

Branthwaite, Dewsbury-Hall, Gallagher, Guimarães are all players that have been mentioned that their clubs don't want to sell.
Watch this space on 29th/30th June.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
"terrible" window apart from our 20 goal a year striker and our new #1 21 year old international keeper, and is Baleba really "terrible" ?
Anyway i'm just reminding posters that we do still have a recruitment team. There seems to be some doubt on here for some reason.
Maybe terrible wasn’t the right word although there was a reason why we’ve struggled. Baleba was never going straight into the first 11 leaving us short in midfield, having sold off the midfield surely a decent strategy would be to at least fill one of those positions with a player who can slot straight in. We sold our two best midfielders and just left it and people wonder why we hit a patch of relegation form.
Easier to blame Roberto although he did warn we would drop off if the squad wasn’t bolstered.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Fair enough, delete the thread then
:lolol:

Don’t have a tantrum.

It’s literally true that any team that’s not mega bankrolled and in the big seven could go down any season. Leicester, Southampton and Everton weren’t good relegation candidates even three years ago and yet two have gone down and one has nearly gone down. So it’s not a cop out, it’s a fact.

It would actually be a good poll to run just before the season starts though, with a simple and non commentated yes/no.

If we have a good window, preseason and coach you’ll see a far higher % saying we’ll stay up. But if we’ve hired the next Sami, Burke and Holla, not so much,

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Maybe terrible wasn’t the right word although there was a reason why we’ve struggled. Baleba was never going straight into the first 11 leaving us short in midfield, having sold off the midfield surely a decent strategy would be to at least fill one of those positions with a player who can slot straight in. We sold our two best midfielders and just left it and people wonder why we hit a patch of relegation form.
Easier to blame Roberto although he did warn we would drop off if the squad wasn’t bolstered.
Agree that its hard to replace McAllister/Caicedo . Of course it was - except we didn't just "leave it"- we had Glimour , Dahoud, Baleba and Milner to support Gross compared to 23/24. And we didn't hit a patch of relegation form until January so arguably it was working up til then. But then Dahoud didn't work out, Milner was largely injured, Baleba only really started to show his potential late into the season and we didn't manage to land Dewsbury Hall in January. . And then Gross form tailed off at end of season and Gilmour was injured. You might say - well we should have known all of that. ITS OBVIOUS. and maybe we should have done. but again "leave it" . i don' think so.
and its right to say RDZ had a hand in all of this given Dahoud and given he was the coach and also did odd things like play JPVH in midfield once.

Last edited:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
:lolol:

Don’t have a tantrum.

It’s literally true that any team that’s not mega bankrolled and in the big seven could go down any season. Leicester, Southampton and Everton weren’t good relegation candidates even three years ago and yet two have gone down and one has nearly gone down. So it’s not a cop out, it’s a fact.

It would actually be a good poll to run just before the season starts though, with a simple and non commentated yes/no.

If we have a good window, preseason and coach you’ll see a far higher % saying we’ll stay up. But if we’ve hired the next Sami, Burke and Holla, not so much,
Call that comment a tantrum? I guess your kid/s are little angels if that comment is considered a tantrum. A tantrum must include door slamming and shouting, maybe even tears in my experience :lolol:

Maybe I’m just a bad parent as well as being an attention seeker :wink:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think it’s pointless at the moment.
Not completely pointless tbf, I think it has highlighted those who make Mr Micawber look like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

I too have faith in TB and PB, but neither of them are God Almighty. They do indeed steer the Good Ship Albion extremely well, but well-run ships have sunk before due to external factors. As you rightly pointed out the fourth option is the sensible one as there are too many variables at this early stage.

(And I really want this thread to get bounced this time next year to prove how needlessly worried I was).

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
With all players back fit, and even if NO new signings are made, I'd still fancy us to be ok next season. A couple of decent additions and a top 10 position is possible.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
With all players back fit, and even if NO new signings are made, I'd still fancy us to be ok next season. A couple of decent additions and a top 10 position is possible.
Funny how top ten sound better than mid table.
A few additions to the existing squad and a mid table finish is possible sounds a bit shit 🤣

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
FFS you are doing it again. Along with GB you are once again making comments and allegations that bear no relation to why I started the thread. What makes you think from the poll options or OP that it has anything to do with RDZ or GP? It was about NEXT season and neither have or will have any influence on it unless one or the other is re appointed. If either come up in the course of the thread why assume I started it to bring up anything about either, but it’s no surprise if they do get mentioned. One was our last manager and the other is mooted to return and it is an Albion forum.
Doing what again? Please stop throwing your toys out of the pram because at some point - probably after this post - I’m going to stop picking them up.😉🙂

You started a thread that asks people’s opinions via poll questions that frankly need a crystal ball at this stage to answer in the specific. The only sensible answer for me was your ‘ cop out’ which I chose.
You then immediately criticised my post because you did not like the fact I voted for that answer. I made no allegations as to why you started the thread - you listed a litany of supposed ‘failings of RDZ ‘ and I actually asked you IF your intention was to start the thread to highlight RDZs ‘failings’ last season (which I said were totally irrelevant to your thread topic) - IF that was your intention, then I took the bait.

As I said, IF we have a good summer window ( down to TB/PB) get a manager at least as good as RDZ to develop the system (down to TB/PB) IF we don’t have the injuries we had last season and IF smaller clubs don’t push us down in the pecking order any more than we are with an injection of major investment from buyouts/floating shares etc we will not be relegated. All pointed out in my original post and follow up. Sorry if you just have a different opinion,

It is a cop out answer imo as it’s a blindingly obvious fact! I’d rather hear what people think is more likely than choose the “cover all bases” answer which that option is :smile:

Sheesh - last time I do a poll on a thread like this where voting for a particular poll answer provided by the OP is not accepted by the OP and you then have to spend half the day justifying why you chose it.😂

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here