Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arctic ocean thaws..shit!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It doesnt matter how vigilant we are with recycling, lead free cars, fuel efficiancy in cars and homes,..... our little Island, or even Western Europe makes no impact on what is the larger % of pollutants emerging from the billions of people in India, China, Russia and even the USA, who have little or no controls.

mental isnt it when you think our little island started all this off in the first place.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
You already missed that.
Cool, I'd never thought of that.
Like religion, it's to keep people fearful and control them. It's easy to convince people that we're bad and doing bad things to this gentle planet. Temperatures and CO2 levels change all the time and the changes haven't been any more dramatic in the last few hundred years. There's no proof that we're making any significant difference.

Err... There definitely is proof that the level of CO2 has significantly increased over the last couple of hundred years beyond levels seen for thousands of years, and that that CO2 comes from human sources.

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
This year has seen the largest melt of sea ice in 30 years..the entire floe will be gone in 3 years or sooner.

Just looked in the shed...all I have is a partially deflated kids rubber ring and a leaky kayak.

On the plus side, Belgium and holland will soon disappear.

Jus t hug a tree nice and tight - you will be fine!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is the crux of the whole debate....

We are severely dependant on the gulf stream to keep us from freezing in Winter, real freezing like scandanavia and northern Russia. Ice melt is forecast to affect this current especially, but they cant predict quite how that will manifest itself in these islands. Popular theory is that we will see in the next 10 years a drop in average temperatures of 7-10 degrees. That might not sound much, but it will ensure we have snow, a lot of snow every year.

On the plus side, we may start winning some medals at the Winter Olympics in the next 25 years.

Perhaps Bloom should look at putting a roof on the Amex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It doesnt matter how vigilant we are with recycling, lead free cars, fuel efficiancy in cars and homes,..... our little Island, or even Western Europe makes no impact on what is the larger % of pollutants emerging from the billions of people in India, China, Russia and even the USA, who have little or no controls.

You have to set the bench mark. Why shouldn't we attempt to be a world leader in something? Wouldn't it be great to be an exemplar of a low energy culture? Regardless of global warming, being efficient and using less energy is surely a sensible goal?

Western Europe is a huge market for both the US and China. If the Western Europe market demands green products and responsibly sourced / manufactured goods, then the likes of India, China etc. will have to change to meet those demands, literally supply and demand.

On a different topic, fuel prices are now rising year on year. It is now no longer a long term investment with a long payback period to invest in making your home and your lifestyle more energy efficient. This is simple economics. You will save money over a much shorter period of time now if you use less gas and electricity to heat and power your home. Obviously the same with cars. My old Saab 9-5 that I sold was doing 30 mpg at best, but I did love it. I upgraded to a more efficient diesel that gives me 50 mpg. 20 mpg more efficient at my average 8,000 miles per year @ £6 per gallon meant I'd save £2,400 per year on fuel alone. Upgrading the car was a no brainer (it wasn't this reason alone, but it certainly came into the calculations of changing).

Even if you don't believe in global warming, insulating your home, having a fuel efficient car / using it less, utilising renewable energy sources if you can will save you money. It is a win win for an individual to reduce their carbon footprint.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is the crux of the whole debate....

We are severely dependant on the gulf stream to keep us from freezing in Winter,

important point though (again) is that the gulf stream is driven in part by the earths rotational effects. this seems to be overlooked in the debate, which only covers the effects of water condensing, sinking and therefore drawing more warm water northward. which has the greater effect on north east atlantic termperatures? theres another factor, the jet stream which brings warm air across a similar path, what effect does this have on ne atlantic temperatures? given this has gone north this year and given us a shitty summer, one might conclude its very important, yet doesnt get mentioned in the "popular theory" concerning artic ice melting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here