Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arctic ocean thaws..shit!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This year has seen the largest melt of sea ice in 30 years..the entire floe will be gone in 3 years or sooner.

Just looked in the shed...all I have is a partially deflated kids rubber ring and a leaky kayak.

On the plus side, Belgium and holland will soon disappear.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Scientists believe anyone north of Preston Circus will be fine as well as having a shorter walk to the beach

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
whys that then? Artic sea ice is already in the water, melting wont increase sea levels.

Because as there is less ice on the sea to reflect sunlight back ino the atmosphere then the mean temperature of the region and then the globe will tend to rise...warmer climate means ice on land melts. The sea tends to be quite dark compared to ice..ever worn a black t shirt on a hot day?

Goodbye Amsterdam, Brussels and Norwich.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Looking on the bright side, at least Hove will probably become known as 'The Venice Of The South'. Anybody know where I can nick a Gondola?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why? He's spot on. The whole"ice melting will cause flooding" is a myth from the 1980's.

The arctic ice cap melting is just a natural cycle. Albeit slightly accelerated by global warming.

Hi Rob!

Not strictly true though you're above statement as they can drill ice cores which identify how long ice has been present, and some of the ice melting now is older and not part of any natural cycle. You can measure both ice cores and sediment cores and build up a picture of natural cycles over thousands of years.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I blame the supermarkets and ergo, consumers,for not sourcing renewable ice and taking too much Arctic Ice. When I was a nipper we made our own ice in the freezer in a little tray, we never bought 2 kilo bags of the stuff from Spar.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
I think I read last week that a severe storm centered over the north pole caused the ice breakup.That should lower the salinity of the area affected and may well help the re-freeze of the area.
No need to worry.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because as there is less ice on the sea to reflect sunlight back ino the atmosphere then the mean temperature of the region and then the globe will tend to rise...warmer climate means ice on land melts. The sea tends to be quite dark compared to ice..ever worn a black t shirt on a hot day?

Goodbye Amsterdam, Brussels and Norwich.

unproven conjecture and technical inaccuracies, though i understand the premise. Amsterdam, Brussels and espiceally Norwich are quite safe (which is higher than London btw).

fact is, artic ice melting on its own doesnt impact Belgium and Holland on its own, only might have long term impact if a series of changes all occur in relation to each other, following models that are guess work, assuming no other effects counter balance those changes.

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
unproven conjecture and technical inaccuracies, though i understand the premise. Amsterdam, Brussels and espiceally Norwich are quite safe (which is higher than London btw).

fact is, artic ice melting on its own doesnt impact Belgium and Holland on its own, only might have long term impact if a series of changes all occur in relation to each other, following models that are guess work, assuming no other effects counter balance those changes.

Shame as I was looking forward to the demise of Norwich

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Models that were guesswork 20 years ago, which now appear to have underestimated the rate of climate change.

All models have to be guesswork based on as much evidence as possible. Of course arctic ice melting rapidly increases the whole temperature of the arctic region given for the most part white snow capped ice regions reflect a huge amount of the suns energy. Take away the reflector and the knock on effect is a lot bigger.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
ok, joking aside there is a VERY complicated series of interactions going on up there. Its all down to salinity/temperature gradients and the albedo effect of white ice. I would not really want to call it but, even now this could be part of a natural cycle of expansion and contraction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here