Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arch Watch

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
that will be good on the timelapse then, we could have lost six weeks in its old position and not noticed, now we lose a hour :dunce::nono:

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
When it works can somebody post a screenshot please? I'm stuck on my iPhone and can't access the webcam :(

:thumbsup: :falmer:
Going up to falmer on my bike today so will post some pics from ditchling beacon if they are any good and some general ones.

Attachments

• falmer.jpg
    falmer.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 407

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Imagine what it's like being one of the geezers perched high up on the piers, seeing that enormous megatonnage of naked white steel swinging towards you.... and knowing you've got to grab on and bolt the bugger down. Not a job for the faint-hearted. :facepalm:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Did it all go back up in one day or over a couple? It seems so long ago now

First section was up on its own for a couple of days and then the other two went up in the same day (again, by memory). Although the middle piece wasn't put in first, last time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
At the real risk of sounding even more of a perfumed ponce than normal, I can't quite get over how cool it is that that vast arch is - hopefully - going eventually to be held up by those supports that seem to be so relatively far away from the west stand. So it curves away from the supports, goes and up holds up the roof, then curves back away from the stand and out towards the other dogs head again. And it does all this at between, what, three and seven storeys up in the air (the webcam does no justice to how high those Meccano-like arch supports are)? Now that is a seriously stunning, dramatic even, piece of both architecture and engineering IMHO.

Now all we need to do is eventually to spell the word ALBION out in crappy white seats. Now that's even classier.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
testing from my phone

Attachments

• P030610_10.23.JPG
    P030610_10.23.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 336

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Who needs the webcam when you've got me, live from Falmer?

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
right, now i must crack on with some work!

Attachments

• P030610_10.29.JPG
    P030610_10.29.JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 317

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Imagine what it's like being one of the geezers perched high up on the piers, seeing that enormous megatonnage of naked white steel swinging towards you.... and knowing you've got to grab on and bolt the bugger down. Not a job for the faint-hearted. :facepalm:

Can I be realy pedantic and point out that if the steel was naked it wouldn't be white.

Does anyone know if this arch is the same size as the other one?

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
not that it isnt a great site to see the arch rise up but to me it seems a little early with regards to the west stand? when the east stand arch went up, the connections at the back of the stand were all ready to for the beams that make up the roof to connect the arch to to the stand, that then by the looks of it helped secure the arch. With the west stand though, the back of it is nowhere near ready for any roof connections? so is the arch going to stand there on its own until all that work is done? Or is this just another test lift to see if it all fits in place?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
anybody know how they will attach the roof pieces as it looks a lot different from when the east stand was done with the bits at the back to attach the arch to

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
anybody know how they will attach the roof pieces as it looks a lot different from when the east stand was done with the bits at the back to attach the arch to

Obviously I'm just guessing because I'm not a builder, but I'd imagine it attaches in the same way, it just looks really different because it's on a downward angle and lower than the back of the stand.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Obviously I'm just guessing because I'm not a builder, but I'd imagine it attaches in the same way, it just looks really different because it's on a downward angle and lower than the back of the stand.

There isnt anything to attach it to yet, which is what I was really getting at, until the east when as soon as the arch was up it was attached to the back of the stand

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
At the real risk of sounding even more of a perfumed ponce than normal, I can't quite get over how cool it is that that vast arch is - hopefully - going eventually to be held up by those supports that seem to be so relatively far away from the west stand. So it curves away from the supports, goes and up holds up the roof, then curves back away from the stand and out towards the other dogs head again. And it does all this at between, what, three and seven storeys up in the air (the webcam does no justice to how high those Meccano-like arch supports are)? Now that is a seriously stunning, dramatic even, piece of both architecture and engineering IMHO.

Now all we need to do is eventually to spell the word ALBION out in crappy white seats. Now that's even classier.

AHEM, the seats will NOT be CRAPPY :angry::angry::angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here