Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Appropriate adult - anyone see it last night?

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
Not sure the word "enjoyable" is appropriate but I will try and watch the second part. Thought Dominic West and Monica Dolan as Fred and Rose were very good performances, but Emily Watson's character grated.

The most annoying thing were the adverts, I don't watch a lot of telly these days, but how many bloody adverts do they have to shoehorn in?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Great performances by the actors playing Fred and Rosemary West. Although quite why he needed an appropriate adult I'm not sure.

But definitely worth watching, and the second part is next Monday.

I think that's partly the point - why did he have an "appropriate adult" and what is the role of an appropriate adult in this kind of situation? Good, but difficult to watch at times with excellent performances by the two actors playing the leads.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I believe he had an appropriate adult due to concerns around his mental health and abilty. Having read Happy Like Murderers, he was deemed to be a little "simple." Had he been interviewed without an appropriate adult, a good defence barrister would have tried claim that the interview was unfair if he didnt have an appropriate adult present. Therefore any interviews would have been inadmissable and it could possibly affect the evidencial value of anything found as a result of the interview

Children under 16 must also have an appropriate adult present when being interviewed, although this is usually a parent or guardian.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I believe he had an appropriate adult due to concerns around his mental health and abilty. Having read Happy Like Murderers, he was deemed to be a little "simple."

Didn't he have a motorcycling accident that caused head injuries that left him a little brain damaged?

I'd forgotten all about this, damn!!!

Not sure the word "enjoyable" is appropriate but I will try and watch the second part. Thought Dominic West and Monica Dolan as Fred and Rose were very good performances, but Emily Watson's character grated.

The most annoying thing were the adverts, I don't watch a lot of telly these days, but how many bloody adverts do they have to shoehorn in?

You're right, bad choice of word! Interesting or even riveting would be better.

I'm not so much interested in the story of the murders, I've read about that, I'm more interested in why someone decided he needed an appropriate adult. Obviously i don't know anything about the man other than what I've read in the press or seen on TV but he didn't strike me as someone who needed an appropriate adult. I haven't heard anyone compare him to someone like Derek Bentley for example, just an evil man.

I just checked Amazon for a copy of Happy Like Murderers and they have a paperback for 150 quid!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I thought it was very good, extremely harrowing also, when he was in the cellar saying that the spirits didn't want their bodies to be found. Very evil.

I struggle with Dominic West being Fred West. Not because he isn't any good, I just really fancy him so seeing him play an evil character is quite difficult!!

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Thats exactly right-there has always been speculation about how much that played into what happened. Apparently he did change as a character following the injury. Interesting that he copped most of the blame at the time although from what I have read it certainly seems that Rose was the driving force behind their crimes.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Would the police really have left him alone in the room with this woman?

Surely, as one who had killed, he could have done so again or used her as a hostage. Did this bit really run true?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Incidentally, whilst on TV dramas, there's the 2nd part of one on BBC1 tonight, Fields of Blood I think it's called.

Set in Scotland in 1982 about a child killing. The lead role of a junior reporter is very well acted.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Watched it last night and Wikipediad Fred West today. My god he and his as evil wife were/are even more sick, twisted ****s than I remembered!!

"In early 1973, the Wests took his eight-year-old Anne Marie to the cellar, where they bound and gagged her before West raped her while Rosemary watched."

"And of a 15 year old, when her remains were found her head was completely covered in tape with only a three-inch rubber tube inserted to allow her to breathe."

Oh my God-this is real world.

Both, though, seemingly badly abused as kids. Excuses nothing, but helps to explain a little!

Not impressed that in Appropriate Adult, Fred West isnt coming across as evil/ugly as he actually was!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Didn't watch it. Live in Gloucester. Ex-wife a social worker. Kids singing nursery rhymes - "Our sister's under the patio, our sister's under the patio"........................
Not for me, thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here