Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Appreciation thread for KERRY MAYO

It occurs to me, that Albion fans have at times, been somewhat neglectful of the special history of our longest-serving player.

We are saying goodbye to a faithful and true Brighton and Hove Albion ever-present.
Throughout the knocks and the drops, the lack of encouragement and the long road - Kerry Mayo has availed himself to the squad, and delivered dutifully. His latter-day appearances have seen him hold down his position with aplomb, and yes - with skill to equal those around him.

Albion legend - yes, I would definitely say so!

Cheers Kerry, thanks for the years of service mate, and right up to the end of this season. :clap:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Mayo could easily have disappeared if Reinelt had not scored the equaliser, if we had gone out of business. He might well have been known as the man that finished off Brighton and Hove Albion. Instead, over 12 years on and 400+ appearances, we say goodbye to a remarkable and dedicated fellow.

I lost count the amount of times he lost his place, but gallantly fought back to reclaim his starting berth. He put up with more criticism than many a Brighton player and never shirked his responsibilities.

A man who graduated from the terraces and fulfilled every Brighton supporters dream. I dearly hope that we shall see him on the 'terraces' when he finally hangs up his boots.

The Ginger Prince, I salute you. :bowdown:

Kerry_Mayo.jpg

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
All the best, Kerry... a far more reliable player than you were ever given credit for ..

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Would love to have seen him lead the team out at Falmer. Maybe for a "Goldstone XI"?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I heartily endorse the sentiments expressed above (apart from Zoe's "love you" - I'm not that kind of guy )
Good luck Kerry.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Deano certainly dealt three hefty blows against loyalty a few days ago, but I suppose it had to end some day.

I remember the contrasting greetings I received at Withdean back in January from Kerry and The Boss. I apologised to The Ginger Prince for the fact that I hadn't been able to get over for his testimonial game and he replied, "Well you're here now . . . and that's all that matters!" Instead of recognising that I had travelled two thousand miles to watch the Albion Deano warned me about coming again if we lost.

Thanks Kez for wearing the stripes with pride and dignity. You were always an underestimated player by some at the club. Most punters have recognised the skills and versatility you displayed time and time again.

Have a good summer and I know that you will be valued wherever you play next season.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sometimes you don't have to be brilliant to be a highly appreciated club stalwart, and Kerry has made a huge contribution.

More than once, especially after promotions to League One and the Championship, I thought he would be let go - but he fought back, and just wouldn't accept his days at Brighton were over. It's something you don't see from a lot of players in higher divisions.

Let's face it, Brighton have been a bit of a soap opera over the last decade, and Kerry has been one of the leading characters. A sort of Ricky Butcher of the piece.

I'm so glad that what happened at Hereford wasn't his defining moment, and wish him all the best in whatever he does next.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
What always impressed me was how he never gave up, everyone wrote him off, but he'd get recalled because of injury to someone else and then make it hard for the manager to drop him again.

I too had always hoped he'd be someone who would last from the Goldstone through to Falmer and am sorry to see him go. Definately in my all time favourite top 10 of the last nearly 40 years of watchng the Albion..

Good luck in the future Kerry

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
A very decent player at Albion's level.Used to be called stalwarts.All clubs should have a Kerry Mayo to bring respect back into football.

And,it seems,he was a good bloke.Not too many of them about,either.

If he wants another club I hope he finds one.Whoever it is will be getting a gem.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Inna-gadda-da-vida. Thanks Kezza, from one of your away kit sponsors for the past few years. A loyal Albion servant and a much better player than some gave him credit for. Look forward to you returning to Withdean (or Falmer) and getting the welcome you deserve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here